What genre is Rush?

YYZumbi

52 members have voted

1. 1. What genre is Rush?

I've always considered them progressive rock. Never even thought of them as anything else. Due to their longevity though there are many people who would label them classic rock now. Actually, more casual fans probably consider them that.

I've always considered them progressive rock. Never even thought of them as anything else. Due to their longevity though there are many people who would label them classic rock now. Actually, more casual fans probably consider them that.

Is Classic Rock a genre?

When I see "progressive rock" I think jazzy sounding soft-rock with shrouds of mystical elves and green meadows with falsetto choir boys named Jon Anderson with old hermits named Ian Anderson.

When I see Rush I see "progressive hard rock". Progressive rock with balls.

What genre would you call Rush for?

Progressive Rock, Metal, rock? Or what?

Rush has done all three. They're an eclectic band of musicians who have changed their sound in an evolutionary fashion over the years, borrowing styles and influences as they go. Most enduring artists have done the same thing in order to stay relevant.

Is Classic Rock a genre?

No, but most people will probably call them that before they'll call them progressive rock.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I've always considered them hard rock or prog, but they're Rush, so they get their own category. Like Primus, which strangely, gets its own music category on my iTunes. :eh:
  • Like 1

You cannot define Rush.

Like Lacuna Coil and The Beatles, they are a genre unto themselves.

• Like 1

You didn't include "MUSIC OF THE GODS" as one of the options so I simply selected "other".