What Made You Laugh Today?

GeddysMullet

On 7/8/2023 at 5:00 PM, laughedatbytime said:

Wow.   Just wow.

And not in a good way.

There is some truth in this though I think it was expressed in a less than kind way.  

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-03-30/why-clarence-thomas-rarely-speaks-from-the-supreme-court-bench

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rhyta said:

There is some truth in this though I think it was expressed in a less than kind way.  

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-03-30/why-clarence-thomas-rarely-speaks-from-the-supreme-court-bench

Did a little searching after reading and came across this woman from Edisto Island,GA, birthplace of James Jamerson.  Fascintaing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

That goes without saying.

And since Gullah is now legit speech, is Disney's Song of the South no longer racist but instead a celebratory homage?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goose said:

And since Gullah is now legit speech, is Disney's Song of the South no longer racist but instead a celebratory homage?

In a word, no.

16 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

Did a little searching after reading and came across this woman from Edisto Island,GA, birthplace of James Jamerson.  Fascintaing.

Don't let Clarence Thomas hear that or he'll get triggered. Or maybe do let him hear it. :ninja:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, goose said:

Certainly no more celebratory homage than "pahk the cah in Havahd yahd" or any other accent, dialogue, or regional dialiect. Y'all, youse, and yinz unnerstan me now, y'heah?

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

No 666 to Hel: Polish bus route drops ‘devil’s number’ after Christian protests

There will be no more going to Hel on Bus 666.  :ohmy:

The bus to the town of Hel on Poland’s Baltic coast has long been popular with tourists. But some Christian conservatives have protested against the use of a number signifying the devil on a bus leading to a place that sounds like the word “Hell” in English.  :facepalm:

The local bus operator, PKS Gdynia, announced this week that bus 666 would no longer run to Hel. It said it would run the line under the number 669 from 24 June.

Local media said the bus company had acted under pressure from Christian groups that had pushed for the change, but was already thinking of returning to the old number amid a public outcry.  A conservative Catholic website called for a change in 2018, declaring that some people thought it was “an innocent joke” but it was “hard not to consider it a malicious inspiration”.  It conceded that Hel, a long verdant peninsula with white sandy borders popular with holidaymakers, was not actually an underworld occupied the departed, but said it would give credence to the “horror of soul death” and make people less confident of the afterlife.  :facepalm:

The Polish word for Hell is piekło.

Employees of PKS Gdynia informed passengers about the change in an update about the timetable. Without elaborating, they announced: “This year, we’re turning the last 6 upside down!” on social media.

The local news portal Trojmiasto.pl said the line had operated under the number 666 since 2006, first as a local joke, before attracting riders from across Poland and beyond. Some people rode the bus simply to say they had taken the 666 bus to Hel, Polish media reported.

Hel in reality is sometimes so popular that tourists have complained that it is overcrowded.

The travel website Staypoland.com describes its “exceptional holiday opportunities” with long beaches, several headlands, a seal centre, a port and promenade and a “typical healthy maritime climate” that “makes the place a real paradise for those who just enjoy sunbathing and swimming in the sea”.

Hel-Peninsula-Poland.jpg

[The Guardian]

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2023 at 8:24 AM, pjbear05 said:

Certainly no more celebratory homage than "pahk the cah in Havahd yahd" or any other accent, dialogue, or regional dialiect. Y'all, youse, and yinz unnerstan me now, y'heah?

So close.  It's "pahk the cah in Hahvud yahd."

• Haha 2

On 7/13/2023 at 9:39 PM, goose said:

Care to elaborate?

Why do you hate cognitive dissonance?

50 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Why do you hate cognitive dissonance?

Scott Fitzgerald famously wrote: “The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless yet be determined to make them otherwise.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Principled Man said:

No 666 to Hel: Polish bus route drops ‘devil’s number’ after Christian protests

There will be no more going to Hel on Bus 666.  :ohmy:

The bus to the town of Hel on Poland’s Baltic coast has long been popular with tourists. But some Christian conservatives have protested against the use of a number signifying the devil on a bus leading to a place that sounds like the word “Hell” in English.  :facepalm:

The local bus operator, PKS Gdynia, announced this week that bus 666 would no longer run to Hel. It said it would run the line under the number 669 from 24 June.

Local media said the bus company had acted under pressure from Christian groups that had pushed for the change, but was already thinking of returning to the old number amid a public outcry.  A conservative Catholic website called for a change in 2018, declaring that some people thought it was “an innocent joke” but it was “hard not to consider it a malicious inspiration”.  It conceded that Hel, a long verdant peninsula with white sandy borders popular with holidaymakers, was not actually an underworld occupied the departed, but said it would give credence to the “horror of soul death” and make people less confident of the afterlife.  :facepalm:

The Polish word for Hell is piekło.

Employees of PKS Gdynia informed passengers about the change in an update about the timetable. Without elaborating, they announced: “This year, we’re turning the last 6 upside down!” on social media.

The local news portal Trojmiasto.pl said the line had operated under the number 666 since 2006, first as a local joke, before attracting riders from across Poland and beyond. Some people rode the bus simply to say they had taken the 666 bus to Hel, Polish media reported.

Hel in reality is sometimes so popular that tourists have complained that it is overcrowded.

The travel website Staypoland.com describes its “exceptional holiday opportunities” with long beaches, several headlands, a seal centre, a port and promenade and a “typical healthy maritime climate” that “makes the place a real paradise for those who just enjoy sunbathing and swimming in the sea”.

Hel-Peninsula-Poland.jpg

[The Guardian]

:facepalm:

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 8:39 PM, goose said:

Care to elaborate?

The language isn't the issue in Song of the South, it is the romanticized view of slavery.  While the songs were well received in hind sight it just tries to pretty up the plantation life.  Interestingly, I believe that was the very first movie I remember seeing as a child.  Yet I didn't retain much memory of it, only remember how big the screen seemed to me.  I have watched clips of it years ago but they were just the songs.  I think the changing of the ride at Disney Land is more of what most know about the controversy over it.

Edited by Rhyta

8 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

Espionage/Insurrectionist copypasta on Truth Social.  Oy, he's stupid!  America's Dumbest Criminals was never cancelled.  It just got rebooted as a reality TV show.

How about his claim Hunter Biden should be executed for not paying his taxes? :laugh:  The stupid is strong in this one

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rhyta said:

How about his claim Hunter Biden should be executed for not paying his taxes? :laugh:  The stupid is strong in this one

One publication equated Hunter's tax "crimes" with Wesley Snipes' Well, fuq that, Wesley ended up with a 3 year accommodation in Uncle Sam's Graybar Hotel, and afterwards was ordered by the Court to "cooperate with the IRS" and pony up. 

56 minutes ago, pjbear05 said:

One publication equated Hunter's tax "crimes" with Wesley Snipes' Well, fuq that, Wesley ended up with a 3 year accommodation in Uncle Sam's Graybar Hotel, and afterwards was ordered by the Court to "cooperate with the IRS" and pony up. 

In fairness, if I were ultimately in charge of my son's criminal prosecution, you'd expect he'd get a good deal, no?  Of course, if I were ultimately in charge of my son's criminal prosecution, I would feel that ethically I had to recuse myself and have someone I couldn't fire handle the case.  And I assume most reasonable people wouldn't just take my word for it if I let someone who I COULD fire handle the case.

Hunter Biden has been paid a lot of money over the years by various entities.  I've yet to hear anyone describe what service he was providing to them that justified such enormous payments.  He doesn't come across as an astute businessman or a skilled attorney, but I've never interacted with him so what do I know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

In fairness, if I were ultimately in charge of my son's criminal prosecution, you'd expect he'd get a good deal, no?  Of course, if I were ultimately in charge of my son's criminal prosecution, I would feel that ethically I had to recuse myself and have someone I couldn't fire handle the case.  And I assume most reasonable people wouldn't just take my word for it if I let someone who I COULD fire handle the case.

Hunter Biden has been paid a lot of money over the years by various entities.  I've yet to hear anyone describe what service he was providing to them that justified such enormous payments.  He doesn't come across as an astute businessman or a skilled attorney, but I've never interacted with him so what do I know.

There is no doubt Hunter Biden has made some bad decisions but how can he be getting a sweetheart deal when David Weiss, the prosecutor in Delaware is not democrat friendly.  He was appointed by Trump and Joe Biden could have had him fired when he became President but didn't.  That makes it hard for me to believe this is some type of white wash.  Plus he has paid the back taxes.  Has Trump paid his?  We know the answer, he bragged in 2016 that he was smart for not paying taxes.  This is just a farce, a way to go after Joe while some truly suspicious activity is going on with Jared getting 2 Billion from the Saudis, that just gets ignored.  Trump and his family are not squeaky clean in their business dealings but laptop look over there....

6 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Would you, though?    Or would you think that a) he should be treated similarly to anyone else who did the same offense, and/or b) it would actually be good for him to face the consequences for his actions?