Do The Impossible(Year And Half Later)

presto123

Now that this great later career record has had plenty of time to digest, lets try and rank this fine collection of songs. The consistent quality throughout the record will obviously make this a little difficult for a lot of people.(including me) Leave BU2B2 out if you want as it is more of a transition song. I'll give it a shot first:

The Garden

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

BU2B

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

Wish Them Well

Seven Cities Of Gold

Wreckers

Carnies

Halo Effect

BU2B2

Wow...that was harder than I thought. It could probably change on a daily basis. Go ahead and give it a shot....and good luck:)

I don't think my rankings have changed much over the last few months.

The Anarchist

Carnies

Caravan

Wish Them Well

Seven Cities of Gold

Halo Effect

BU2B

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

Clockwork Angels

The Garden

BU2B2

This is based on the studio versions. Headlong Flight blew me away live, but I don't care all that much for the album version.

I do like all of these songs aside from BU2B2, but I much prefer the top few to the rest.

This is based SOLELY on my personal enjoyment of the songs, and not on the technical aspects or how well they executed them. There's not a bad song on this album, so being near the bottom shouldn't be an insult to the songs down there...

The Garden (one of their best ever)

Headlong Flight (another classic)

Carnies (I'm surprised how under-appreciated this song is...it ROCKS!)

Clockwork Angels (took me a while to warm up to it, but it's rising fast!)

Halo Effect (way underrated)

The Wreckers (started higher in 2012, slipped a bit, still a great tune)

Wish Them Well (I had this stuck in my head the other day)

BU2B (used to be higher but gets kinda forgotten b/c they omitted it this tour)

Caravan (was good in 2010, but getting kinda tired of it)

The Anarchist (I think I'm the one fan who isn't head over heels for this song...oh well)

Seven Cities of Gold (would be better if it were about two minutes shorter...it's kind of like the "Armor & Sword" of this album)

It is tough for me to chose between Headlong Flight and The Anarchist. I really like BU2B - something just gets me about it. Not sure why others don't like it as much.

Headlong Flight

The Anarchist

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Carnies

Caravan

The Wreckers

Seven Cities of Gold

Wish Them Well

The Garden

Halo Effect

BU2B2

• Like 1

Clockwork Angels

The Garden

Headlong Flight

Carnies

The Anarchist

Caravan

The Wreckers

BU2B

Seven Cities of Gold

Halo Effect

Wish Them Well

BU2B2

To put it in perspective, Wish Them Well is lowest ranked CA song (leaving out bu2b2 of course), and even that sits in the low 30's on my all time favorite Rush list. It's an INCREDIBLE Album.

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

The Wreckers

Carnies

The Garden

Caravan

SCOG

Halo Effect

BU2B

Wish Them Well

I love each and ever track. Incredible album.

• Like 2

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

The Wreckers

Carnies

The Garden

Caravan

SCOG

Halo Effect

BU2B

Wish Them Well

I love each and ever track. Incredible album.

SCOG ranked a bit looowwww! I still like you though.

Clockwork Angels

- This is still my favourite tune on the album and encompases everything I love about modern day Rush.

BU2B

- Can't believe I haven't gotten tired of this song. I still love the aggressiveness of it and I love the lyrics. The "until our final breath, the joy and pain that we receive, must be what we deserve, I was brought up to believe" is going to be part of my left arm tattooed sleeve.

Headlong Flight

- Classic sounding Rush that should be a live staple for the duration of their career.

The Garden

- A beatuful song and another classic. My tattoo artist is designing a sleeve for my right arm that will incorporate his inturpritation of the lyrics to this song, along with the forthcoming Record Store Day artwork for it. The "the measure of a life is a measure of love and respect, so hard to earn, so easily burned" lyric will be a part of the tattoo.

The Anarchist

- Another great song that should be considered a classic.

Carnies

- Love this rocking tune. I pick this one as the most under-rated song on the album. Glad Rush did what they did with it live in terms of lighting and pyro. Hopefully it aids in getting it some respect.

Caravan

- Tiring of this one now, but it's still a great song. Love Neil's big drum fill.

The Wreckers

- One of my favourite slower Rush songs of all time. Great lyrics by Neil.

Seven Cities Of Gold

- I still this song but it should have been so much more. They could have taken the instrumentation a lot further on this one. I feel Neil could have done so much more during the intro and solo section. If they didn't want to in the studio, then they should have do so live. I think they played it too safe.

Halo Effect

- A nice little song that serves as a break from all the intensity of the previous album tracks. Works well.

Wish Them Well

- Still my least favourite on the album. I would have scrapped it and worked on an instrumental to add to the album instead.

BU2B2

- Not really a song.

Edited by Robber Soul
  • Like 1

Based off of personal enjoyment since I think the album is perfect as it is...

Clockwork Angels

The Garden

Headlong Flight

Carnies

The Wreckers

Caravan

The Anarchist

Seven Cities of Gold

BU2B

Wish Them Well

Halo Effect

BU2B2

• Like 1

Lets see...

The Anarchist/Carnies (These songs always go together for me, as I love the crunch of the main instrumentation with the subtle moments of clarity breaking out in these two. They just meld so well together. Big props go to the bridges in both of these songs. There is too much more to say about these two (not to mention their live presentation), but they are just filled with awesome, and I could not choose on or the other easily)

Caravan (Ah this was the one that kicked everything off back in 2010. I remember how excited I was to hear the opening train bell sound. Bass is phenomenal on this one (especially fun on rock band). Clockwork Angels is an album that I kick off a lot of road trips with, and the lines "On my way at last really set the mood")

BU2B2/Wish Them Well (The other pair of songs, it's nice conflict/resolution duo. BU2B2 though short does pull off a lot of well wanted emotion for the album. Wish Them Well was at first one of my least favorite tracks because of simple the drum beat was and the high pitched repetition of the title was not exactly wanted. But I learned to accept it as I discovered the amazing verses and more importantly, the pre-chorus. I get a big Test For Echo Vibe from this song which I really dig. The only thing keeping this from the #2 spot is again the weaker Chorus

The Garden (It's beautiful, but a smidge long, not by much, but I could have done with a slightly shorter outro. Love the piano in the middle and the opening Bass

The Wreckers (I liked this one better when it first came out, but it is still very enjoyable. Love the bridge where the weight of the situation really begins to dawn on you, and it makes the final chorus feel so much darker. Biggest problem is how they fade out way to early into the solo)

Headlong Flight (Not crazy about Geddy's vocals on this one, but instrumentally it's a fun romp, I definitely love when the bass does the main riff solo at the beginning and during the solo. I also love the sound of Roller Coaster chains added to the song. It adds a very nice touch to the atmosphere of the current journey) [Tied with 7COG]

Seven Cities of Gold (Another one I was not a fan of it at first due to the heavy distortion (even though artistically it makes perfect sense to replicate a mirage), the main bass riff drew me in, and I cannot help "Slappin the Bass" Every time it comes on. The pre-chorus is also very nice. My respect for this song also went up when I saw it live. The verse and main chorus is not that special for me though) [Tied with HF]

Clockwork Angels (Love the intro, verse, chorus, and solo, but the pre-chorus is way to heavy for me, and the bridge feels really awkward for me (not on it's own but with the rest of the piece). This could have been much better in my opinion with some tweaks to help out it's flow, but it feels too disconnected between the various sections for me to enjoy it as a whole.

BU2B (Except for the acoustic intro and synth bridge (thank god for that choir synth there), this is another that is a bit to heavy. I feel it does not quite match the theme of the lyrics well enough (except of course for the bridge))

Halo Effect (The lowest on my list just because of how unmemorable it was (especially considering it's placed between two power-house songs). Way better life though)

Overall album position on my top chart, #3

Edited by RushBoingo
  • Like 1

Wow! Tough...

The Garden

Clockwork Angels

Caravan

BU2B

Seven Cities Of Gold

Wreckers

The Anarchist

Wish Them Well

Carnies

Headlong Flight

Halo Effect

BU2B2

But to be honest, there are no weak tracks.

• Like 1

Nice idea ...

stellar to epic - in the "Subdivisions" league:

Headlong Flight

The Wreckers

Fine to quite nice - in the "Force Ten" league:

The Garden

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Average - the "Alien Shore" league:

Carnies

BU2B

Seven Cities of Cold

Not at all indispensable, but I don't skip it too often - the "Grand Designs" league:

Halo Effect

Wish Them Well

BU2B2

The worst album opener ever ... never get why it's popular at all ... didn't even make the "You Bet Your Life" league:

Caravan

Still, a very fine album that late in their career - rank 8 or 9 for me overall. Yet, If I'm looking for their best in the last two decades, I stick to Vapor Trails, preferably remastered.

Edited by barchetta90480

The Garden

Clockwork Angels

Headlong Flight

The Anarchist

Caravan

Halo Effect

The Wreckers

BU2B

Wish Them Well

Carnies

Seven Cities of Gold

BU2B2

But, it doesn't really matter what order I put them in because I love each and every single track on this album.

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

BU2B

The Garden

Wish Them Well

SCOG

Clockwork Angels

The Wreckers

Carnies

Caravan

Halo Effect

BU2B2

Anybody up for compiling these results? It would be great to see what the consensus is.

Mine:

Best Rush Song Ever:

1. Headlong Flight

Completely Awesome:

2. The Anarchist

3. The Garden

Great - Hope they play live for years to come:

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B (The 'single' version. Don't like the stupid acoustic intro on the full length cd)

7. Halo Effect

8. Clockwork Angels

Solid and Strong:

9.The Wreckers

Very Good, but not "special":

10. Caravan

11. Wish Them Well

AWFUL (And I mean "AWFUL"):

12. BU2B2

Clem

At this moment:

Headlong Flight

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Caravan

Halo Effect

The Wreckers

The Garden

Wish Them Well

BU2B

Carnies

SCOG

The thing is, I love BU2B and Carnies, and they end up that low on this list. It's a testament to how great an album CA remains.

• Like 1