What's your favorite studio album and live album by Rush?

BradenLifeson

Studio: The default answer is Moving Pictures, but in reality it could be, at any moment, Hemispheres or Permanent Waves.

Live: All the World's a Stage. I think it's the only live Rush album that significantly improves on the studio versions of the represented songs.

my fav studio album in the sense of being absolutely perfect not a note wrong every aspect of the whole package a work of utter genius timeless and without fault is....

wow this is more difficult than i thought, i had one album in mind but come to think of it so many fit into this category but... if you put a gun to my head and told me to pick one it would have to be permanent waves i think.

yeah id settle for that

Signals is my favorite studio album, with Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, and A Farewell to Kings always breathing down its neck.

Favorite live album is probably Exit... Stage Left. That said, I do have a soft spot for A Show of Hands, as that was the most current live album when I became a big fan. I used to watch my VHS copy of A Show of Hands almost daily, pausing and rewinding constantly while poring over Peart's performance (I was a burgeoning drummer at the time). Some of that Hold Your Fire material came across well in the live setting. Perhaps it's a little dated now, but I quite enjoyed it, and still do.

Currently I have a 3-way tie for favorite.

Hjemispheres

Permanent Waves

Power Windows.

All just seem to blow me away in every aspect of music. Lyrics, ambition, charisma, muscianship, balance, emotional highs and lows, thought-provking, cerbal assult, just plain fun to listen to over and over again!

Favorite live for me is the Live from Cleveland.

The crowd was wild and the catalog of songs were awesome. The boys did not disappoint. Also Live From Cleveland has been my best friend on those long road trips from VA to PA. Love every minute of it!

I kind of think of AFTK and Hemispheres as being one album since Cygnus is such a large part of both, and the sci-fi theme carries over. Also, Xanadu was the song that really won me over in the beginning. So I'll pick those two.

Of live albums its a tough choice since I'm not a big fan of them. But Exit Stage Left would be at the top, mainly because of Xanadu and Broon's Bane.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Studio - Permanent Waves

Live - Exit....Stage Left

Studio - 2112 followed very closely by Power Windows & HYF. Right behind those 3 I would have AFTK, PeW and MP with FBN, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, S & A and T4E and Counterparts right on their heels. Not certain of the exact order among the latter pack of albums.

Live - Rush in Rio followed by ATWAS and Different Stages Live. Then ASOH's and S & A Live followed by TMT. R30 live trails well behind that and well back of that is Exit Stage Left.