What about Seven Cities of Gold...

vital signz

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of love for SCoG I see.

Why I think it's my 2nd least favourite song on the album. Well it's too repetitive. Too bluesy. I don't like blues. I find blues boring. And that's about it. Yawn-worthy song that I skip along with BYOB2.

But it's growing on me slowly. Sloooooowly.

And that's the thing with Rush, it challenges the listener.

When I first started listening to Rush, I got "in" by probably their most accessible album Roll the Bones. My musical taste had to grow before I "got" their albums from the 80's. I had to learn to like prog rock before I could listen to their 70's albums.

Again I had to grow as a listener before I understood what Counterparts and T4E were all about.

And I think this is the thing that people forget. Rush are never going to make just another Moving Pictures after another MP after another MP.

They move forward, and challenge their fans to do the same. To broaden their musical horizons.

I didn't keep up with them with VT or S&A, but I'm surely loving CA. And again, I'm going to have to evolve to "get" some of the songs on the album that are a bit tricky for me.

QUOTE (Maksa @ Jul 19 2012, 05:04 PM)
Lots of love for SCoG I see.

Why I think it's my 2nd least favourite song on the album. Well it's too repetitive. Too bluesy. I don't like blues. I find blues boring. And that's about it. Yawn-worthy song that I skip along with BYOB2.

But it's growing on me slowly. Sloooooowly.
And that's the thing with Rush, it challenges the listener.

When I first started listening to Rush, I got "in" by probably their most accessible album Roll the Bones. My musical taste had to grow before I "got" their albums from the 80's. I had to learn to like prog rock before I could listen to their 70's albums.
Again I had to grow as a listener before I understood what Counterparts and T4E were all about.

And I think this is the thing that people forget. Rush are never going to make just another Moving Pictures after another MP after another MP.
They move forward, and challenge their fans to do the same. To broaden their musical horizons.

I didn't keep up with them with VT or S&A, but I'm surely loving CA. And again, I'm going to have to evolve to "get" some of the songs on the album that are a bit tricky for me.

I had the same issue with wreckers.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 1 2012, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 1 2012, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 1 2012, 12:17 PM)
Reasons,

-Geddy strains bad in spots

there.

100% agree.

However, I like the riff quite a bit

The bass intro is kind of cool.....but the main riff isn't anything special and certainly not memorable. The songs sounds very much like it could be from TFE....

Yeah, I think its the main riff, that although isn't bad initially, gets kind of plodding and boring pretty quickly. As someone above said, the beginning of the chorus is pretty good, the ending not. Can't understand anything Ged is saying, presumably because he is staining? Just gets loud and noisy. The mix has destoyed any real enjoyment for me. I can barely stand to listen to the album. Sad, as best I can tell, most of the songs are really good.

QUOTE (ZivotSon @ Jul 14 2012, 09:14 AM)
I think Alex's riff here would have fit in nicely on the first Rush album. And I love the lead in to that riff.

Definitely wonder whether Geddy will be able to pull off the vocals live.

On the downside, I think Alex's solo is forgettable.

What solo? You mean the "solo" we heard him do on FarCry? Its the same non-solo.

The fast and funky opening bass part is all the song has going for it. If it weren't for that, the song would be TOTAL shit.

smilies-8579.png

I've been trying to give this song a chance, but I'd still rank it towards the bottom of CA songs. Only the bass opening and the pre-chorus does anything for me. It's still listenable, but I'm finding that I am skipping it more and more often now.

I find it hard to rank CA songs still. I say I have "The Garden", "Clockwork Angels", and "The Wreckers", then everything else is tied for 4th. Depending on the day, another could replace them. So SCoG is good in my book, Edited by Union 5-3992

My four favorites remain, in album order, The Anarchist, The Wreckers, Wish Them Well, and The Garden.

I'm starting to give Headlong Flight more spins again, because then I can go straight from Wreckers to the end of the album and hear three of my four favorites, with HF and 90-seconds of BU2B2 in the middle.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 19 2012, 08:17 PM)
The fast and funky opening bass part is all the song has going for it. If it weren't for that, the song would be TOTAL shit.
smilies-8579.png

All I can say is WOW!!!

rofl3.gif

Its old school. I love it.

Bottom 3 would be The Wreckers, BU2B2, Wish Them Well.

and I'm not saying I don't those songs. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 19 2012, 06:17 PM)
smilies-8579.png

wtf.gif

a bit harsh dontcha think?

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 8 2012, 06:40 PM)
QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jul 8 2012, 05:10 AM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 2 2012, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 1 2012, 02:46 PM)
The main riff is a bad to the mother f***ing bone full on 70's classic Rush assault.

I love the keyboard chords during the pre-chorus.

And I really love the lyrics on this tune.

"Glitter in the sun like a revelation" Distant as a comet or a constellation".

Fricking bas ass!

This song is going to cook and melt peoples faces on the tour.

Seven Cities is kind of like What You're Doing 2012, IMO. 1022.gif

OMG.... someone else made the What You're Doing connection!! trink39.gif yes.gif Thought I was the only one getting that vibe. trink39.gif They Bow Defeated

Over the years, Rush has shown they can 1022.gif when they want to. On rarer occasions, they get a little funky and common001.gif But when you combine 1022.gif and common001.gif , like they did on What You're Doing and now on 7 Cities, the result is a musical bitchslap.gif that makes you say "Ow!... hurt me again!" cool.gif

Great summary Todem trink39.gif

Of all the songs on CA, Seven Cities takes me back to the original 2.gif album more than any others - which is a good thing. It's still not my fave, but it's been growing on me (along with the Anarchist).

Yup! trink39.gif I think if there's a "Making of CA" DVD, we may even find out that Nick challenged them to write something in the spirit of the first album and Seven Cities was the result. 1022.gif Just a hunch.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 20 2012, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (spock @ Jul 8 2012, 06:40 PM)
QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jul 8 2012, 05:10 AM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 2 2012, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 1 2012, 02:46 PM)
The main riff is a bad to the mother f***ing bone full on 70's classic Rush assault.

I love the keyboard chords during the pre-chorus.

And I really love the lyrics on this tune.

"Glitter in the sun like a revelation" Distant as a comet or a constellation".

Fricking bas ass!

This song is going to cook and melt peoples faces on the tour.

Seven Cities is kind of like What You're Doing 2012, IMO. 1022.gif

OMG.... someone else made the What You're Doing connection!! trink39.gif yes.gif Thought I was the only one getting that vibe. trink39.gif They Bow Defeated

Over the years, Rush has shown they can 1022.gif when they want to. On rarer occasions, they get a little funky and common001.gif But when you combine 1022.gif and common001.gif , like they did on What You're Doing and now on 7 Cities, the result is a musical bitchslap.gif that makes you say "Ow!... hurt me again!" cool.gif

Great summary Todem trink39.gif

Of all the songs on CA, Seven Cities takes me back to the original 2.gif album more than any others - which is a good thing. It's still not my fave, but it's been growing on me (along with the Anarchist).

Yup! trink39.gif I think if there's a "Making of CA" DVD, we may even find out that Nick challenged them to write something in the spirit of the first album and Seven Cities was the result. 1022.gif Just a hunch.

Awesome Post.

This song is thermo-nuclear...If a Rush fan doens't like this song, they need to do a "gonadal integrity" check.

trink39.gif

2.gif

goodpost.gif

I like it all, Al im saying now is that it has a Peart fill that is simple and short yet has my face grimacing and air drumming (on the bus and elseware) and is one my ONLY "play rewind and play 5 times" fills you know that part, AS I say short but sweet and i don have to say Ca does lack In drum fills but this one is good

I think it might be the repetitiveness in it !? I really like it as I do the rest but if I had anything negative to say about it, it is a little repetitive!:geddy: AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif If I had to pick a bottom 3 songs it would have to be BU2B2, Halo Effect and Wish them Well !