What about Seven Cities of Gold...

vital signz

I have been monitoring folks' favorites and least favorites here...

Lots of folks are placing it in their bottom tier. That is mind-blowing to me. This song has such a cool intro, huge build-up, then KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM..........

Geddy hits high notes of old. His bass has an incredible sound.

Alex plays some great riffs and has some awesome tremolo work, and has a nice emotive solo.

Neil, well is Neil.

Is it the lyric, the music, the theme?

What turns people off?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wanted to figure this out. For me, it's ranked towards the bottom 3 or 4 on the album. Maybe it's because there are so many great songs on the album that it pushes the song down further. When I first heard it, I didn't care for it at all. I didn't have a connection with this song and Carnies at all. Both have grown for me. I think the chorus may put me off. I really enjoy the pre-chorus. It sounds like a classic Rush chorus that's upbeat, but I don't know, there's something there in the song that holds the song back for me.

I'm still trying to figure out. Hopefully others who are in a similar position may share their opinions that might help me find out what I think it is.

Edited by GUP1771

Hard to say. It's been in my top 3-4 since first listen. It's a deep album with some great songs that rise to the top, so it seems to get lost in the mix. It has a great old school Rush feel/groove though...monster intro...love it.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jul 1 2012, 11:34 AM)
Geddy hits high notes of old.

I would say Geddy "tries" to hit high notes of old, and doesn't quite make it.

That's one issue I have with that song along with a few others. I think Geddy tries to reach a little too far on some notes and is a little over ambitious. Instead, there are some cringe worthy moments.

I also find that tune a bit repetitive and probably too long.

Not a bad song by any means, but for me it gets overshadowed by some of the other masterpieces on the album

It's a great song, but there are better. It's like going to a pet store and trying to rank all the kittens in order of how cute they are. Some will stand out as being sub par but you'd be splitting hairs to rank the rest.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 1 2012, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 1 2012, 12:17 PM)
Reasons,

-Geddy strains bad in spots

there.

100% agree.

However, I like the riff quite a bit

The bass intro is kind of cool.....but the main riff isn't anything special and certainly not memorable. The songs sounds very much like it could be from TFE....

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 1 2012, 12:39 PM)
Reasons,

there.

100% agree.

The bass intro is kind of cool.....but the main riff isn't anything special and certainly not memorable. The songs sounds very much like it could be from TFE....

I agree but that's not a bad thing for me. For the most part, I love the music in T4E, it's the lyrics that are terrible.

The lyrics/story on Clockwork Angels are obviously light years better than the lyrics about Modems, Totem Poles, Dogs pissing on fire hydrants, etc on T4E

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 1 2012, 12:39 PM)
Reasons,

there.

100% agree.

To me, the song sounds like a tune from the 70s.

The main riff is a bad to the mother f***ing bone full on 70's classic Rush assault.

I love the keyboard chords during the pre-chorus.

And I really love the lyrics on this tune.

"Glitter in the sun like a revelation" Distant as a comet or a constellation".

Fricking bas ass!

This song is going to cook and melt peoples faces on the tour.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 1 2012, 02:46 PM)
The main riff is a bad to the mother f***ing bone full on 70's classic Rush assault.

Fricking bas ass!

70's Rush. What? Are we talking about the same song??

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 1 2012, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ Jul 1 2012, 03:08 PM)

it's nasty, dirty, filthy..

i never thought of it like that but yes i suppose you could use those words. tongue.gif

good tune and the break at the 6 minute mark is very cool. all the sounds and geddy just being badass.

Exactly its completely kick ass. Puzzling to me that it hasnt been mentioned alot in the top tier, cause its right there for me.

Goes to show to each his own on Rush, particularly the diverse views on this board. For example, while I think Power Windows is dreadful, many folks here think its among their best. all good

Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 1 2012, 03:46 PM)

Fricking bas ass!

goodpost.gif very well said!!

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jul 1 2012, 11:34 AM)

Geddy hits high notes of old.

He doesn't actually. The highs in that song arent even close to their old stuff, but they sound higher than they actually are because everything around them is sung low.

I like the song overall, the intro is wonderful, but what kills it for me is the effects on his vocals during the "wandering anus," "canyons and cactus" parts. It just sounds so awkward to me. And musically the chorus is kinda bland, but I do love the lyrics