What about Seven Cities of Gold...

vital signz

I don't hate it or anything. It's just too repetitive for my tastes. It could have been a four minute song instead of seven. It's like a movie that goes twenty minutes too long, but still better than 99% of crap that comes out today.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one I liked immediately after hearing the 30 second clip of the intro jam. But the rest of the song is kind of boring and repetitive like they almost didn't change it from the original demo. The disorted chorus vocal effect reminds me of Roll The Bones or the ending of Chain Lightning.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 6 2012, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jul 6 2012, 07:48 AM)
I agree, the chorus is boring and repetitive and keeps this from being one of the top songs on the album.  The rest of the song is pretty good!

I think the Choruses are much better than the verses. Geddy is struggling in the verses, and almost ruins it for me.

The middle break, the drum fills and the riff during the chorus are 70s tastic!

Yep. Geddy struggles throughout the album, but the verses in Seven Cities may be the worst of it and keeps it from being in the top tier of the album.

Geddy also struggles on Parts of Carnies and The Anarchist.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 2 2012, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 1 2012, 02:46 PM)
The main riff is a bad to the mother f***ing bone full on 70's classic Rush assault.

I love the keyboard chords during the pre-chorus.

And I really love the lyrics on this tune.

"Glitter in the sun like a revelation" Distant as a comet or a constellation".

Fricking bas ass!

This song is going to cook and melt peoples faces on the tour.

Seven Cities is kind of like What You're Doing 2012, IMO. 1022.gif

OMG.... someone else made the What You're Doing connection!! trink39.gif yes.gif Thought I was the only one getting that vibe. trink39.gif They Bow Defeated

Over the years, Rush has shown they can 1022.gif when they want to. On rarer occasions, they get a little funky and common001.gif But when you combine 1022.gif and common001.gif , like they did on What You're Doing and now on 7 Cities, the result is a musical bitchslap.gif that makes you say "Ow!... hurt me again!" cool.gif

Great summary Todem trink39.gif

I think alot of the songs need a few listens to get used to them! lol sometimes you feel it isn't a Rush album abd then after listening you are hooked, On 7 cities Peart has an @rewind and play twice@ fill at the end, what a fill , but in the whole album I think he doesnt use his flair in the fill department that ,much mayhe he thinking forward to playing the tour lol tom sawyer wont save him laugh.gif

I'm a fan of awesome bass playing, and "Seven Cities of Gold" has it in spades; the opening bass part in particular is Funky-Bass-Tastic! This should be my favorite track on the album....

But it's not. The lyrics, the vocals, and the arrangement of the rest of the track do nothing to enhance the song. Other than the great bass, "Seven Cities of Gold" is a song that just sits there. Meh.

I have the same problem with "Red Lenses" from GUP. It's got awesome bass playing, so I should love it... but it has NOTHING ELSE going for it. Pity that Geddy gives it everything he's got, bass-wise, on tracks which are pretty lame; it would be better to put these great basslines on songs worthy of them.

smilies-8579.png

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jul 1 2012, 11:34 AM)
I have been monitoring folks' favorites and least favorites here...

Lots of folks are placing it in their bottom tier. That is mind-blowing to me. This song has such a cool intro, huge build-up, then KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM..........

Geddy hits high notes of old. His bass has an incredible sound.

Alex plays some great riffs and has some awesome tremolo work, and has a nice emotive solo.

Neil, well is Neil.

Is it the lyric, the music, the theme?
What turns people off?

I think the Seven Cities has far too many "KA-BLAMS"

No seriously. I really like the song but for me there are other better songs that just jump ahead of it on the depth chart.

I love the Zeppeli-esque groove and throwback vibe but I think it is a little too repetitive. A few more variations on that groove would be nice.

I think the song begs for an old school Page style bluesy wah solo rather than the atmospheric stuff.

Lyrically I think the story could be a bit more developed. Its a little too general for me.

THat being said I love the song and never skip it.

QUOTE (The Lofty Oaks @ Jul 8 2012, 10:13 AM)

Lots of folks are placing it in their bottom tier.  That is mind-blowing to me.  This song has such a cool intro, huge build-up, then KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM..........

Geddy hits high notes of old.  His bass has an incredible sound.

Alex plays some great riffs and has some awesome tremolo work, and has a nice emotive solo.

Neil, well is Neil.

What turns people off?

I think the Seven Cities has far too many "KA-BLAMS"

No seriously. I really like the song but for me there are other better songs that just jump ahead of it on the depth chart.

I love the Zeppeli-esque groove and throwback vibe but I think it is a little too repetitive. A few more variations on that groove would be nice.

I think the song begs for an old school Page style bluesy wah solo rather than the atmospheric stuff.

Lyrically I think the story could be a bit more developed. Its a little too general for me.

THat being said I love the song and never skip it.

You hit it right on the head with the guitar solo. This song called for some serious shredding in the solos and Alex just didn't deliver. Disapointing but its still a rockin' song.

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jul 8 2012, 05:10 AM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 2 2012, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 1 2012, 02:46 PM)
The main riff is a bad to the mother f***ing bone full on 70's classic Rush assault.

I love the keyboard chords during the pre-chorus.

And I really love the lyrics on this tune.

"Glitter in the sun like a revelation" Distant as a comet or a constellation".

Fricking bas ass!

This song is going to cook and melt peoples faces on the tour.

Seven Cities is kind of like What You're Doing 2012, IMO. 1022.gif

OMG.... someone else made the What You're Doing connection!! trink39.gif yes.gif Thought I was the only one getting that vibe. trink39.gif They Bow Defeated

Over the years, Rush has shown they can 1022.gif when they want to. On rarer occasions, they get a little funky and common001.gif But when you combine 1022.gif and common001.gif , like they did on What You're Doing and now on 7 Cities, the result is a musical bitchslap.gif that makes you say "Ow!... hurt me again!" cool.gif

Great summary Todem trink39.gif

Of all the songs on CA, Seven Cities takes me back to the original 2.gif album more than any others - which is a good thing. It's still not my fave, but it's been growing on me (along with the Anarchist).

Meh...song would be better as an instrumental. yes.gif

I did notice the guitar is very predominant in this song the over many of the other songs on the release.

No no no, yes yes yes, yeaaah

THIS IS AN AMAXING SONG

SIC, EPIC CIRCA

Lots of folks are placing it in their bottom tier.  That is mind-blowing to me.  This song has such a cool intro, huge build-up, then KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM..........

Geddy hits high notes of old.  His bass has an incredible sound.

Neil, well is Neil.

What turns people off?

who knows dude. Seven Cities sounds like no other Rush song. It sounds old in some odd way, yet it is definatly fresh. The loose jam in the middle is the shit. Alex is really getting his schwerve on here!!!

trink39.gif

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Ya Geddy is struggling here...

STRUGGLING TO NOT BE THE RADDEST !!! THE BADDEST!!!

CA FTW

This song is going to be a live highlight for sure. They are balls out jamming and I think Ged sounds like one kick ass 58 year old rock singer.

I could care less if he properly enunciates every single high note or hits them with the precision of his former self.

It's rock and he's going for it.

f*ckin A

If you cant understand him, read the lyric sheet.

Dunno....after 20+ listenings, "Seven Cities" is to me the most forgettable song on the record. The chorus is cool, but the rest just seems to aimlessly meander, a la "Time and Motion" or "Secret Touch."

It's all good though....as a whole, CA is their most cohesive effort in a long time.

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Jul 14 2012, 06:20 AM)
"Seven Cities" is to me the most forgettable song on the record.

Must respectfully disagree. Seven cities of gold is the most requested lap dance song in north America right now. Chicks dig it and that is saying something!!!! It is an all time great RUsh song.

trink39.gif

I think Alex's riff here would have fit in nicely on the first Rush album. And I love the lead in to that riff.

Definitely wonder whether Geddy will be able to pull off the vocals live.

On the downside, I think Alex's solo is forgettable.

QUOTE (ZivotSon @ Jul 14 2012, 09:14 AM)
I think Alex's riff here would have fit in nicely on the first Rush album. And I love the lead in to that riff.

Definitely wonder whether Geddy will be able to pull off the vocals live.

On the downside, I think Alex's solo is forgettable.

Lerxt presents the guitar solo in an ethereal, magically delicious manner. It is not a blazing piece of work granted, however it fits the mood of the lyrics...trippy and sonically perfect for what the song required.

2.gif