The Great Pink Floyd Thread

rushgoober

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Dec 25 2009, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Dec 25 2009, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Sep 3 2009, 11:35 PM)
Hey, has anyone heard of the bootleg DVD for Delicate Sound Of Thunder? I've looked all over the inter-web, and can't seem to find it (prolly due the the amount of "official" content in it).

Can anyone hook me up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHBL1CIq_w

bumper.gif

This has officially been released on VHS back in 1988. I wonder why it hasn't been released yet on DVD.

People have made VHS transfers and put it on DVD. I was hoping someone here might have it on DVD.

It took them long enough to release Pulse on DVD, so I'm sure they'll get round to it. Or I hope so.

Pulse is good, but it doesn't have On the Turning Away, like Delicate Sound of Thunder does, and I love that song...that solo just get's me every time

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Dec 28 2009, 03:51 AM)
It took them long enough to release Pulse on DVD, so I'm sure they'll get round to it. Or I hope so.
Pulse is good, but it doesn't have On the Turning Away, like Delicate Sound of Thunder does, and I love that song...that solo just get's me every time

Definitely one of his very best. We keep waiting...

QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 26 2011, 10:05 AM)
Wot's...uh the deal with this immersion stuff I keep hearing about?

Pretty much all out reissues. 6 disc set which run with 2 CDs, 2 DVDs, and 1 Blu-Ray with stuff like art prints, coasters, marbles, a scarf...a lot of things all in this one package. The albums getting this treatment so far are DSoTM, WYWH, and The Wall. All of them look spectacular, but I'm afraid I'll only be buying the "Discovery" box set with all the remastered albums and a 60 page book of pictures.

There are also the "Experience" versions of the three albums mentioned above. The Experience version of DSoTM comes with two CDs (the remastered album and a live performance of it from 1974!). WYWH contains a second CD containing live experimental tracks for the "Animals" album. The Wall will be 3 CDs with the third being a selected list of demos from Roger's early takes.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Sep 26 2011, 02:09 PM)

Pretty much all out reissues. 6 disc set which run with 2 CDs, 2 DVDs, and 1 Blu-Ray with stuff like art prints, coasters, marbles, a scarf...a lot of things all in this one package. The albums getting this treatment so far are DSoTM, WYWH, and The Wall. All of them look spectacular, but I'm afraid I'll only be buying the "Discovery" box set with all the remastered albums and a 60 page book of pictures.

There are also the "Experience" versions of the three albums mentioned above. The Experience version of DSoTM comes with two CDs (the remastered album and a live performance of it from 1974!). WYWH contains a second CD containing live experimental tracks for the "Animals" album. The Wall will be 3 CDs with the third being a selected list of demos from Roger's early takes.

Holy Cash Grab Batman!

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 26 2011, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Sep 26 2011, 02:09 PM)

Holy Cash Grab Batman!

ph34r.gif

I said the same when they (EMI) released the "Oh, By The Way..." boxset with the mini vinyl replicas. If THOSE were remastered, I would have bought that set. Hopefully Guthrie has improved "Animals" by giving the drums a wider range. I can hardly hear them in the original remaster.

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Dec 26 2009, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Dec 25 2009, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Dec 25 2009, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Sep 3 2009, 11:35 PM)
Hey, has anyone heard of the bootleg DVD for Delicate Sound Of Thunder? I've looked all over the inter-web, and can't seem to find it (prolly due the the amount of "official" content in it).

Can anyone hook me up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHBL1CIq_w

bumper.gif

This has officially been released on VHS back in 1988. I wonder why it hasn't been released yet on DVD.

People have made VHS transfers and put it on DVD. I was hoping someone here might have it on DVD.

There's actually a DVD-transfer from the US laserdisc called "The Definitive Edition". It was made by a company called "Pigs On The Wing". The release number is POTWDVD022

Over the past couple of days, I've been getting on a real Pink Floyd obsession. I've downloaded like 4 pre Dark Side bootlegs and just got Saucerful of Secrets on CD. I've listened to Atom Heart Mother a couple of times on YouTube and also have Piper at the Gates of Dawn bookmarked.

However, I also recently listened to the Wall for the first time and, wow. sad.gif That was a HUGE letdown. I will probably make a thread explaining why I don't like it soon.

Other than the Wall (and of course the Final Cut).... 1022.gif

Three cheers for Pink Floyd, especially Dave! cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Signed,

Corporal Clegg

1022.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 25 2011, 10:22 AM)
Over the past couple of days, I've been getting on a real Pink Floyd obsession. I've downloaded like 4 pre Dark Side bootlegs and just got Saucerful of Secrets on CD. I've listened to Atom Heart Mother a couple of times on YouTube and also have Piper at the Gates of Dawn bookmarked.

However, I also recently listened to the Wall for the first time and, wow. sad.gif That was a HUGE letdown. I will probably make a thread explaining why I don't like it soon.

Signed,

Corporal Clegg

1022.gif

What's wrong with The Wall? I thought it was a masterpiece.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Nov 25 2011, 10:33 AM)

Signed,

Corporal Clegg

1022.gif

Meh. Supposed to be.

The first disc sounds like a good parody of the 70s, but that is for another thread.

Signed,

Corporal Clegg

1022.gif

I like The Wall a lot but I think its a little overrated. The radio plays half of the songs from it, yet I've never heard anything from Animals, Meddle, or A Saucerful of Secrets.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Nov 25 2011, 10:33 AM)

Signed,

Corporal Clegg

1022.gif

It is 30 million people say so.

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Nov 25 2011, 10:49 PM)
The Wall was pure unadulterated brilliance.

So much of Pink Floyd is great, but I think The Wall was their peak. Roger Waters just vomitted out a masterpiece from deep inside his soul.

Really? It's a good album, but to my ears it has not aged well, at all. Overwrought, confusing, pretentious, excessive, overblown and purely ego driven. My criticism sounds worse than it is, but I can't help but think the album is overrated.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 25 2011, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Nov 25 2011, 10:49 PM)
The Wall was pure unadulterated brilliance.

So much of Pink Floyd is great, but I think The Wall was their peak. Roger Waters just vomitted out a masterpiece from deep inside his soul.

Really? It's a good album, but to my ears it has not aged well, at all. Overwrought, confusing, pretentious, excessive, overblown and purely ego driven. My criticism sounds worse than it is, but I can't help but think the album is overrated.

Well, it's all relative, right?

I remember buying this album when I was 13, and I was blown away.

So perhaps some of it is that memory.

But also having seen The Wall Tour with Roger Waters, it rekindled my love of this album. That tour is so frakking awesome....