The Great Pink Floyd Thread

rushgoober

:) :sundog: :D-13:

Does anyone else here agree with my fave three albums? Been in that order for ages now.

Dark Side

Animals

The Wall

Mine is a bit different.

1. The Final Cut

I'm assuming you're joking about The Final Cut?

And Steevo, not even close for me. I know everyone loves to site their super popular 1973-1979 period as their best, and while I agree that all their albums from that period were great (even though The Wall I find way too depressing to listen to these days, and I've felt that way for many years), their early pre-Dark Side album period is still my favorite and is criminally underrated. Yes, Dark Side is arguably their best album, but I go back and forth between that one and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

This is roughly my Pink Floyd album order:

1. The Dark Side of the Moon

2. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (fights for #1 position)

3. A Saucerful of Secrets

4. Meddle

5. Ummagumma

6. Atom Heart Mother

7. Animals

8. Wish You Were Here

9. More

10. The Wall

11. Obscured By Clouds

12. A Momentary Lapse of Reason

13. The Division Bell

14. The Final Cut

If you add in The Early Singles (compilation of their 1967 & 1968 mostly non-album A & B sides), that would take likely take the #1 spot.

Why would I be joking?

I don't know... I guess I just thought you were... :unsure:

The Final Cut really isn't even a Pink Floyd album to me. It's much more a solo Roger Waters album, and it's depressing as f*ck. it makes The Wall seem like an feel good romantic comedy in comparison.

I guess there are some people out there who think Islands is the best 70's King Crimson album too, so WTF do I know? :unsure:

All is not what it seems Goobs I'm sure, Hatchy knows how to mess with us! :D I'm still puzzled to f**k why you slam the title track of that KC album that's all :o

No messing Steevo. I ADORE The Final Cut. Yes, it's miserable, yes, it's practically a Roger solo album(let's face it, most of them(lyrically & musically) from DSOTM were), but I love the lyrics, and the music. It's been my favourite PF album since the day it came out. Blew me away.

:) :sundog: :D-13:

Does anyone else here agree with my fave three albums? Been in that order for ages now.

Dark Side

Animals

The Wall

Mine is a bit different.

1. The Final Cut

I'm assuming you're joking about The Final Cut?

And Steevo, not even close for me. I know everyone loves to site their super popular 1973-1979 period as their best, and while I agree that all their albums from that period were great (even though The Wall I find way too depressing to listen to these days, and I've felt that way for many years), their early pre-Dark Side album period is still my favorite and is criminally underrated. Yes, Dark Side is arguably their best album, but I go back and forth between that one and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

This is roughly my Pink Floyd album order:

1. The Dark Side of the Moon

2. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (fights for #1 position)

3. A Saucerful of Secrets

4. Meddle

5. Ummagumma

6. Atom Heart Mother

7. Animals

8. Wish You Were Here

9. More

10. The Wall

11. Obscured By Clouds

12. A Momentary Lapse of Reason

13. The Division Bell

14. The Final Cut

If you add in The Early Singles (compilation of their 1967 & 1968 mostly non-album A & B sides), that would take likely take the #1 spot.

Why would I be joking?

I don't know... I guess I just thought you were... :unsure:

The Final Cut really isn't even a Pink Floyd album to me. It's much more a solo Roger Waters album, and it's depressing as f*ck. it makes The Wall seem like an feel good romantic comedy in comparison.

I guess there are some people out there who think Islands is the best 70's King Crimson album too, so WTF do I know? :unsure:

All is not what it seems Goobs I'm sure, Hatchy knows how to mess with us! :D I'm still puzzled to f**k why you slam the title track of that KC album that's all :o

No messing Steevo. I ADORE The Final Cut. Yes, it's miserable, yes, it's practically a Roger solo album(let's face it, most of them(lyrically & musically) from DSOTM were), but I love the lyrics, and the music. It's been my favourite PF album since the day it came out. Blew me away.

Wow, ok then, I believe you! If you've mentioned before I must've missed it. I like it for a few cuts that's all (NNJ, TSitSS, TGD). I remember in HS someone trying to convince me how good it was. I was such a massive Wall fan then but DSotM and Animals are more solid works for me.

I just gave The Final Cut a listen during my commute. Wow. It clicked on a different level. Complex. Dense. Rewarding.

I always thought that one got a bad name, its a under rated gem

The Endless River is not bad. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The fact that I enjoy ambient music from time to time helps, but I do think the album has some worthwhile moments. It's not so much a proper Pink Floyd album as it is a homage and respectful look back. "Louder Than Words" is wonderful.

Roger Waters played some Mexico warm-up shows in prep for the Desert Trip shows(Oct. 9 / Oct.16). Holy crap, I wish I was going.

from setlist.fm:

Speak To Me

Breathe

Set The Controls For The Heart of The Sun

One Of These Days - (first time played on RW solo tour)

Time

Breathe - reprise

The Great Gig In the Sky

Money

Us And Them

Fearless - (first time played..)

-you'll never walk alone (Gary and the Pacemakers)-

Shine On You Crazy Diamond - (parts I - V)

Welcome To The Machine

Have A Cigar

Wish You were Here

Intermission (Siren intro : Battersea Power Station chimneys rise up on stage)

Pigs On The Wing 1

Pigs On The Wing 2

Dogs

Pigs (Three Different Ones)

The Happiest Days Of Our Lives

Another Brick In The Wall (Pt. 2)

Mother

Run Like Hell

Brain Damage

Eclipse

encore

Comfortably Numb

Edited by Self-Indulgence

Roger Waters played some Mexico warm-up shows in prep for the Desert Trip shows(Oct. 9 / Oct.16). Holy crap, I wish I was going.

from setlist.fm:

Speak To Me

Breathe

Time

Breathe - reprise

The Great Gig In the Sky

Money

Us And Them

Welcome To The Machine

Have A Cigar

Wish You were Here

Pigs On The Wing 1

Pigs On The Wing 2

Dogs

Mother

Run Like Hell

Brain Damage

Eclipse

encore

Comfortably Numb

Wow! All Floyd, no solo. Nice setlist, although even with that many Animals tracks, he's still missing the best one IMO. And nothing from Final Cut is surprising considering how much he loves that one.

I just gave The Final Cut a listen during my commute. Wow. It clicked on a different level. Complex. Dense. Rewarding.

When it was released I loved it and played it to death. I listen to it from time to time and it still holds up.

from setlist.fm:

Speak To Me

Breathe

Time

Breathe - reprise

The Great Gig In the Sky

Money

Us And Them

Welcome To The Machine

Have A Cigar

Wish You were Here

Pigs On The Wing 1

Pigs On The Wing 2

Dogs

Mother

Run Like Hell

Brain Damage

Eclipse

encore

Comfortably Numb

Wow! All Floyd, no solo. Nice setlist, although even with that many Animals tracks, he's still missing the best one IMO. And nothing from Final Cut is surprising considering how much he loves that one.

I saw Roger on the Dark Side Of The Moon(2006) tour. Sheep was all he played from Animals. Completely awesome w/the the Pig and all.