The Great Pink Floyd Thread

rushgoober

Apparently, Gilmour still loves Fat Old Sun and played it on his 2001, 2002 and 2006 shows. Therefore he doesn't hate all of AHM. Waters loves If and played it on his solo tours.

My favourite Pink Floyd album is the Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I also love Ummagumma (is that how you spell it?), Live at Pompeii, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals. I think The Wall is overrated.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Sep 23 2006, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE (KublaKhan @ Sep 23 2006, 06:56 PM)
I bought Animals this summer. I had previously listneed to pretty much all of it, and it was on for 10.00, so I said "What the hell, might aswell buy it." Same store where I got Presto. But, anyway, I got to go back to the hotel room and listen to it, and enjoyed every song over. I had previously heard Pigs many times from my dads burned "Best of Pink Floyd" CD (which I'm telling him to update. no early Floyd), and had only heard Sheep and Dogs once. I remember my Math teacher from last year telling me to listen to Dogs, so i downloaded it. It wasnt all that special to me at the time, but, once I listened to it again, I fell in love with it. Keeps you interested the entire way through, from Gilmours vocals, to his solo, to the "white noise" part, and into Waters vocals (they both sing, correct?). Sheep is excellent. Its fast-ish, and, like Dogs, keeps you until the end. Water's vocals rule. Pigs on the Wing 1 and 2 arent much, but are still iraplacable.

Piper. Wow. This was my first "Early Floyd" album, so I was a bit scared I was wasting my money. My dad thought I was... he doesnt really like it. But, wow! It really delivers. I liked it the first time, but by the second listen, I figured out how much of a GENIUS Barret is. The first half is incredibly strong, with a not so strong second half, but, all in all, it rules. The opener "Astronomy Domine" is very spacey (As what the lyrics depict). I had previously heard a live version and loved it, so i wasnt to scared of this. "Lucifer Sam" is one of my favorites from this album, and is incredibly catchy, and will stay in your head for a while. "Matilda Mother" wasnt my favorite track at first, but i grew to love it, especially after Wright says "Yes they did", where the song goes into a spiral of human made sounds (correct) which I love doing on my microphone (chhhh pahhhh, chhhhh pah), With a Wright Keyboard solo audible in the background. "Flaming" is catchy, and doesnt sound like the first 5 seconds of it. Its very upbeat, and is one of the stronger tracks. "Pow. R. Toc H." is the first instrumental track of the album, and sounds very Jungle-like. Then comes the best track of the album: "Take Up Thy Stethescope and Walk". Starting of with a drum pattern, and goes into a very wierd-for-rock-music theme. Then your imedietly launched into the "Greasy spoon" section, with some nice guitar work from Barret. A few more seconds of vocals, and your off into a psychedelic freakout. The bass is amazing. Waters is amazing (he also wrote this track). Finally, the song ends, and your left going "wow", but you dont get long before your thrown into a 9 minute spacy-psychedelic adventure: Interstellar Overdrive, which is just amazing. This is followed by two 2 minuters "Scarecrow" and "The Gnome", which are nice little tracks, to help you slow down after the greatness of "Stethescope" and "Interstellar Overdrive". In between these is a nice catch song called "Chapter 24". The bass riff is pretty good. Sunset. Sunrise. Finally, to cap it all off you get "Bike", a very wierd circus like song, with an incredibly wierd ending. The lyrics are fun to sing along to.

All in all, i would recommend both, especially Piper. I might actually like Early Floyd to the New/Popular Floyd. I'm hopeing to buy pretty much everything else. Meddle first, though.

Animals is my favorite Floyd album. Sheep is my favorite track off that one, absolutely venomous vocals from Roger.

Kubla: VOCALS - Pigs On The Wing (Parts 1 & 2): Roger

VOCALS - Dogs ("You gotta be crazy" verse is Dave, "And after a while" verse is Dave, "You gotta keep one eye" verse is Dave, "And when you lose control" verse is double-tracked Dave, "I gotta admit" verse is Roger, "Deaf dumb and blind" verse is Roger, "Who was..." lines are Roger.

VOCALS - Pigs (Three Different Ones): Roger

VOCALS - Sheep: Roger (23rd Psalm section [The Lord is my Shepherd...buggers' eyes water] section was a roadie, not sure on the name)

Piper is also a great debut album, BTW Kubla, on some live bootleg recordings from 1968/1969 Pow R. Toc H. was called "The Pink Jungle". I also agree that Stethoscope is the best song on that album, people bash it at the Floyd forums I'm at. The studio version of this song actually turned into a jam session. They cut it out though.

When Dogs was played on the Animals tour in 1977, David Gilmour sang all but the who was... verse and he sang the last line in unison with Roger "WHO WAS DRAGGED DOWN BY THE STONE". I always preferred live versions of Animals. Shame I wasn't old enough then to see that tour as I was only 1 in 1977.

Pink Floyd is amazing. If I had to live on a desert island with one of their records I'd probably take "Meddle" but I'd try and sneak the "Atom Heart Mother" title track...

So "Meddle" is my favorite. "Ummagumma (Live)" is up there. And "Animals" is by far the most underrated Pink Floyd album (it's a Gilmour Fest beneath all the Roger Waters doom and gloom...), although "Obscured By Clouds" is pretty underrated, too.

David Gimour inspired me to learn how to play the guitar. To this day I can hardly solo outside the minor pentatonic scale thanks to him.

If only I had been old enough to see them in their pre-Dark Side days... (sigh...)

Oh, and in response to the question about which album started "Classic Floyd": As an album Atom Heart Mother is topsided by the amazing title track, but overall probably one of their worst albums. In my opinion, Meddle is where it all culminated.

Edited by subdivisions717

QUOTE (subdivisions717 @ Dec 12 2006, 12:18 PM)
Pink Floyd is amazing. If I had to live on a desert island with one of their records I'd probably take "Meddle" but I'd try and sneak the "Atom Heart Mother" title track...

So "Meddle" is my favorite. "Ummagumma (Live)" is up there. And "Animals" is by far the most underrated Pink Floyd album (it's a Gilmour Fest beneath all the Roger Waters doom and gloom...), although "Obscured By Clouds" is pretty underrated, too.

David Gimour inspired me to learn how to play the guitar. To this day I can hardly solo outside the minor pentatonic scale thanks to him.

If only I had been old enough to see them in their pre-Dark Side days... (sigh...)

Oh, and in response to the question about which album started "Classic Floyd": As an album Atom Heart Mother is topsided by the amazing title track, but overall probably one of their worst albums. In my opinion, Meddle is where it all culminated.

Although Roger Waters still loves Animals, David Gilmour in 1992 radio interview said "Animals was a fun album but was not one of our creative highpoints". Rick Wright also stated that didn't like alot of the album and called it the start of Roger Waters' ego trip. One reason some fans love it was that it was not commercially accesible as was DSotM, The Wall and AMLoR and to a lesser extent WYWH and TDB.

Syd era Floyd I enjoy PatGoD. Transitional era I love AHM alot. I can play that album beginning to end and not hit fast forward. WYWH is my favorite of the classic PF era. From the Roger Waters era I enjoy The Wall. Animals I'll play a live recording before a studio recording. TDB is my favorite of the Gilmour era PF or to Waters fans PF 1987.

I'm thinking of buying "Live in Pompeii".

Ive already heard Echoes (part 1), One of These Days, and Careful With that Axe Eugene. All were incredible, especially Echoes. The studio version is better in places, but the jam part is amazing.

Do yo think I should buy it, or are these three songs the highlights, with nothing else amazing?

Should I listen to all of Meddle first?

Got Meddle for Christmas. And its totally amazing.

One of These Days, A Pillow of Winds and Fearless are amazing, San Tropez is ok, but isnt the best, and Seamus is a bit of a let down, but isnt totally unlistenable, and was more of a joke than a song. Echoes always blows me away... its just so good.

I played Echoes for my dad and he said that "theres no hook, its kinda boring", but he agreed that it was a precursor to DSoTM.

This is one of my favorite PF albums now.

Pink Floyd is my favorite band! sorry guys, Rush is at a very close second for me.

My favorite Floyd album is Animals. Often overlooked but every song on it is a masterpiece. Especially Dogs and Sheep! Pigs (Three Different Ones) is a really fun song to play, on my bass that is.

I went to see Roger last year, it was an awesome experience. I'm skipping on his 2007 return so I can go see my first Rush concert! 1022.gif

I'm going away for March Break, and were going to a Best Buy. Because I have all of Rush's stuff, i can focus on other bands (mostly Floyd and Crimson). I'm definitely gonna try to buy Saucerful, More, and AHM (I love the title track... one of THE best songs). I wanna buy Pompeii, if I can find it.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 3 2007, 07:41 AM)
Pompeii is HIGHLY recommended! GET IT. 1022.gif

I also highly recommend the audio soundtrack for Pompeii, though sadly it's only available as a bootleg. Still, the sound quality is very high and it can be found around the internet if you look. unsure.gif

Any AMLOR fans here? I absolutely love it and The Division Bell! Gilmour is just wonderful!

Anyway, if you're a fan of AMLOR, I made some wallpapers (really just scans).

The first one's 'One Slip'.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u195/Number-4/Other/AMLORoneslip.jpg

And this is 'On The Turning Away', one of the best Floyd songs!

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u195/Number-4/Other/AMLORontheturningaway.jpg

They are formatted for a 16:10 display, and are smaller than the originals due to the size constraints of PhotoBucket. If you want them original sizes or a different aspect ratio, PM me. smile.gif

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jun 29 2009, 02:36 PM)
Any AMLOR fans here? I absolutely love it and The Division Bell! Gilmour is just wonderful!

Momentary is okish, quite dated now. Division Bell has much more going on for me.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jun 29 2009, 03:49 AM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jun 29 2009, 02:36 PM)

Momentary is okish, quite dated now. Division Bell has much more going on for me.

I agree it has that 80s feel to it (but that's what I love about it tongue.gif).

As for Division Bell, the best track on that album has got to be Coming Back To Life. In fact, the last four tracks on there are simply untouchable, IMO. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm not a big fan of post-Waters Floyd. There are definitely some great tracks (Dogs of War, Poles Apart) but to me, most of those two albums feel like filler.

As far as the rest of the catalog, I love Piper, but I'm not so keen on Saucerful or Atom Heart Mother. Meddle is pretty good, but I don't like it as much as DSotM or WYWH. And I hate to admit it, but my favorite Floyd albums are Animals, The Wall, and (especially) The Final Cut. I understand that Waters was being a complete d-bag and everyone hated each other during that era, but damn there is some good stuff there. I love all the orchestration on The Final Cut, Animals is just great hard rock all the way through, and The Wall, while having a few weak moments, has way more strong material to make up for it.

Allow the flaming to begin... again.

On the Turning Away is probably my all-time favorite Rock Ballad, if you want to call it that. Gilmour definitely rocks his guitar in the end of it, but the first 3/4 I'd call more ballad like, and it's one of the most beautiful pieces Gilmour ever wrote. I think Dave is extremely underrated as a singer, and this songs shows off his vocals as much as anything...(well maybe along with Wish You Were Here)

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jun 30 2009, 03:43 AM)
I hate to admit it, but my favorite Floyd albums are Animals, The Wall, and (especially) The Final Cut. I understand that Waters was being a complete d-bag and everyone hated each other during that era, but damn there is some good stuff there. I love all the orchestration on The Final Cut, Animals is just great hard rock all the way through, and The Wall, while having a few weak moments, has way more strong material to make up for it.

Allow the flaming to begin... again.

No farkin way, thats a great trio of albums, although I'd replace TFC with DSOTM. Nice trink39.gif

Hey, has anyone heard of the bootleg DVD for Delicate Sound Of Thunder? I've looked all over the inter-web, and can't seem to find it (prolly due the the amount of "official" content in it).

Can anyone hook me up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHBL1CIq_w

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 2 2009, 10:33 AM)
I don't have The Final Cut. That is really like a Roger Waters solo album.

Even if you're put off with Roger's stamp on this (shame on you), it's still worth buying for the few outstanding solos Dave contributes on. TFC was never going to age well with all the political material, but I can still get down to it occasionally when in the mood.

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Sep 3 2009, 11:35 PM)
Hey, has anyone heard of the bootleg DVD for Delicate Sound Of Thunder? I've looked all over the inter-web, and can't seem to find it (prolly due the the amount of "official" content in it).

Can anyone hook me up?

bumper.gif

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Dec 25 2009, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Sep 3 2009, 11:35 PM)

Can anyone hook me up?

bumper.gif

This has officially been released on VHS back in 1988. I wonder why it hasn't been released yet on DVD.

Edited by Test4VitalSigns