The Great Pink Floyd Thread

rushgoober

I listened to The Division Bell a few times over the weekend. I really love this album. I'm not sure if it gets much respect among diehard Floyd fans, but in my opinion it's shoulders above A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

I'm also probably a little biased because I saw them on the Division Bell tour. But it's really a solid album.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Jul 23 2012, 03:31 PM)
I listened to The Division Bell a few times over the weekend. I really love this album. I'm not sure if it gets much respect among diehard Floyd fans, but in my opinion it's shoulders above A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

I'm also probably a little biased because I saw them on the Division Bell tour. But it's really a solid album.

I love it too. AMLOR is good but TDB blows it away.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 24 2012, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 11 2012, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 11 2012, 11:59 AM)
Oooooh....tasty. The Story of Wish You Were Here, on DVD.

Trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQVeSMgCSs

My fav Floyd album wub.gif

Watched this last night...pretty good cool.gif

It's a great doc

I'm currently on a major Pink Floyd kick, and am interested in reading a new book on the band. So far I've only read Saucerful of Secrets. Is Comfortably Numb by Mark Blake considered the best book available?

Thank you for any and all advice.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Jul 24 2012, 04:08 PM)
I'm currently on a major Pink Floyd kick, and am interested in reading a new book on the band. So far I've only read Saucerful of Secrets. Is Comfortably Numb by Mark Blake considered the best book available?

Get the book by Nick Mason, i think it's called Inside Out . Fantastic book and by the end you will know why Waters was hated by the rest of the group.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 24 2012, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 24 2012, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 11 2012, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 11 2012, 11:59 AM)
Oooooh....tasty. The Story of Wish You Were Here, on DVD.

Trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQVeSMgCSs

My fav Floyd album wub.gif

Watched this last night...pretty good cool.gif

It's a great doc

The trailer alone was great!

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Jul 24 2012, 02:08 PM)

I read that book last year.

It's very good. Very thorough. A lot of emphasis on Syd (maybe too much at times).

I think it's a fine read.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 24 2012, 04:38 PM)

Get the book by Nick Mason, i think it's called Inside Out . Fantastic book and by the end you will know why Waters was hated by the rest of the group.

This is an interesting insight. I read some reviews of Mason's book that criticized it for not getting underneath the surface and pulling punches. But you are offering a different assessment, and now I'm intrigued. I don't know if I should read Mason's Inside Out or Blake's Comfortably Numb.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Jul 24 2012, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 24 2012, 04:38 PM)

This is an interesting insight. I read some reviews of Mason's book that criticized it for not getting underneath the surface and pulling punches. But you are offering a different assessment, and now I'm intrigued. I don't know if I should read Mason's Inside Out or Blake's Comfortably Numb.

Nick Mason's Inside Out gets some dings, but it is a book written by a founding member of the band. I enjoyed it with the understanding that other members of the band might have differing opinions. It is worth the read.

OK. They arrived today, the Immersion sets of DSOTM & WYWH....fabulous. Full of knick knacks and mementos. Like the Shine On box, they are a bit unwieldy and no marks for the cd holders, just tacked on at the bottom of the boxes.

Can't wait to see the DVDs....

But, OHMIGOD......the sound......

Clarity, warmth, it's all there......just gorgeous. I've played WYWH 3 times, just stunning. Hard to believe albums I've been listening to for nearly 30 years can still surprise me.

Many times i had the Wish set in my hands but i just cannot fork over the $150 for it . Is there a Live dvd in it ?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 1 2012, 07:44 PM)
Many times i had the Wish set in my hands but i just cannot fork over the $150 for it . Is there a Live dvd in it ?

A 20 minute feature as part of a 75 min DVD. I got both for $150,. Keep an eye on them, they're getting cheaper. I'll wait another 6 months before I buy the Wall.

Meant to say, the books, 2 per set, are fantastic. The photo books in particular.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 1 2012, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 1 2012, 07:44 PM)
Many times i had the Wish set in my hands but i  just cannot fork over the $150 for it . Is there a Live dvd in it ?

A 20 minute feature as part of a 75 min DVD. I got both for $150,. Keep an eye on them, they're getting cheaper. I'll wait another 6 months before I buy the Wall.

Meant to say, the books, 2 per set, are fantastic. The photo books in particular.

Both for $150 ? ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 1 2012, 04:32 PM)
Amazon US is over 20 sterling more than their UK site!!!! ohmy.gif

I know, i went there after your post

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 1 2012, 11:58 PM)
I would like the Immersion Sets, but the "Experience" sets are nice as well...

Though I wish they would come out with these packages for other albums.

Animals needs this treatment, but maybe the material isn't there.

What we sorely need is a Live box set. Imagine a live show from every tour....

Dribble.

Watching the Olympics and...someone just did the floor exercise to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". Good thing I'm not a judge. She'd have earned the gold from note one.

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 3 2012, 05:15 AM)
Watching the Olympics and...someone just did the floor exercise to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". Good thing I'm not a judge. She'd have earned the gold from note one.

Totally. She could have fallen on her ass, and drunk, she'd have still won.

10!

Was at a vinyl record store on Queen Street in Toronto yesterday, and managed to find original copies of The Wall and Wish You Were Here. They were used, but in very good condition, and priced between $20 and $30. I'm still kicking myself I didn't pick them up, or at least one of them.

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 3 2012, 01:15 AM)
Watching the Olympics and...someone just did the floor exercise to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".  Good thing I'm not a judge.  She'd have earned the gold from note one.

Yes, I heard the same thing. Didn't sound like The Floyd though unsure.gif , but definitely Shine On. I was in the other room, so I didn't see her routine.