The Great Pink Floyd Thread

rushgoober

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Nov 26 2011, 12:36 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 25 2011, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Nov 25 2011, 10:49 PM)
The Wall was pure unadulterated brilliance.

So much of Pink Floyd is great, but I think The Wall was their peak. Roger Waters just vomitted out a masterpiece from deep inside his soul.

Really? It's a good album, but to my ears it has not aged well, at all. Overwrought, confusing, pretentious, excessive, overblown and purely ego driven. My criticism sounds worse than it is, but I can't help but think the album is overrated.

Well, it's all relative, right?

I remember buying this album when I was 13, and I was blown away.

So perhaps some of it is that memory.

But also having seen The Wall Tour with Roger Waters, it rekindled my love of this album. That tour is so frakking awesome....

Apparently, we're of the same age. I remember The Wall being the greatest thing ever. I still think it's good. I just don't think it has aged very well. I know Roger Waters loves it, but I really think he wants to revive The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking! unsure.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 26 2011, 12:40 AM)
QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Nov 26 2011, 12:36 AM)

So much of Pink Floyd is great, but I think The Wall was their peak. Roger Waters just vomitted out a masterpiece from deep inside his soul.

Really? It's a good album, but to my ears it has not aged well, at all. Overwrought, confusing, pretentious, excessive, overblown and purely ego driven. My criticism sounds worse than it is, but I can't help but think the album is overrated.

Well, it's all relative, right?

I remember buying this album when I was 13, and I was blown away.

So perhaps some of it is that memory.

But also having seen The Wall Tour with Roger Waters, it rekindled my love of this album. That tour is so frakking awesome....

Apparently, we're of the same age. I remember The Wall being the greatest thing ever. I still think it's good. I just don't think it has aged very well. I know Roger Waters loves it, but I really think he wants to revive The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking! unsure.gif

laugh.gif Pros and Cons had it's moments but ummmm ...no Roger please.

How about a WWYH / Animals tour ? trink38.gif

I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but it hasn't aged well for me either.

I love the album, and I even would go as far as to say it's a masterpiece, but for me it's pretty much unlistenable now. It's just too angry and intense and exhausting and depressing for me these days - I guess I could relate more in my youth.

Hearing selected isolated tracks, however, can be wonderful.

Edited by rushgoober

I think a lot of music appreciation comes from the time and place where you encountered it. It is so strongly associated with memory. Earlier may stuff may be technically better (Dark Side..., Wish You Were Here) but I wasn't really conscious of them at that point.

Much like Moving Pictures hit at just the right time in my life to have a lasting impact.

Also, the current re-interpretation of The Wall that Waters is touring is pretty incredible. I think it seemlessly fits into the new structure, seeming as relevant as it ever was.

I don't know. I don't claim any kind of objectvity when it comes to music (how can anyone?). I just know what I like.

wink.gif

Maybe the Wall just didn't work for me because I listened to it after all Pink Floyd's other [better] stuff.

All I know is that Mother is the worst song Pink Floyd ever recorded and Roger Waters missed about 5 super-theatrical moments on an album that was supposed to be just that.

Oh yeah, and that Comfortably Numb and Another Brick in the Wall are the only actually good songs, while the other half are merely listenable, followed by the half that is just bad.

I mean the first time I heard Young Lust fading in from the song before it, I started singing Counting Out Time over top of it. That's not a good sign. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 26 2011, 10:38 AM)
Maybe the Wall just didn't work for me because I listened to it after all Pink Floyd's other [better] stuff.

All I know is that Mother is the worst song Pink Floyd ever recorded and Roger Waters missed about 5 super-theatrical moments on an album that was supposed to be just that.

Oh yeah, and that Comfortably Numb and Another Brick in the Wall are the only actually good songs, while the other half are merely listenable, followed by the half that is just bad.

I mean the first time I heard Young Lust fading in from the song before it, I started singing Counting Out Time over top of it. That's not a good sign. laugh.gif

Mother is a beautiful song.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Nov 27 2011, 01:09 PM)

Yes t is. yes.gif

Highlighted by Gilmour's solo.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Nov 27 2011, 01:09 PM)

Absolutely. IMHO, it's the most underrated track from the entire album. I love the live version from 1980, the crowds seemed really into it.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 27 2011, 06:56 PM)
Mother? Really?

facepalm.gif

The first couple of minutes are a re-hash of Pigs On the Wing, and then the second part is just boring, unexciting, etc.

confused13.gif

Except "Pigs on the Wing" is on an album that many consider to be ABOVE "The Wall". Sure, it might be rehash, but when it comes to the actual story behind TW, it fits perfectly.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Nov 27 2011, 07:55 PM)
Mother? Really?

facepalm.gif

The first couple of minutes are a re-hash of Pigs On the Wing, and then the second part is just boring, unexciting, etc.

confused13.gif

Except "Pigs on the Wing" is on an album that many consider to be ABOVE "The Wall". Sure, it might be rehash, but when it comes to the actual story behind TW, it fits perfectly.

unsure.gif

Animals has nothing to do with The Wall, as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 28 2011, 12:13 AM)
Mother? Really?

facepalm.gif

confused13.gif

unsure.gif

I would like to think that many fans who followed them before "Dark Side of the Moon" believe that "Animals" was the last true Floyd album. "The Wall" sort of solidified their mainstream progress, which should have never happened to the band in the first place.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Nov 28 2011, 06:59 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 28 2011, 12:13 AM)
Mother? Really?

facepalm.gif

confused13.gif

unsure.gif

I would like to think that many fans who followed them before "Dark Side of the Moon" believe that "Animals" was the last true Floyd album. "The Wall" sort of solidified their mainstream progress, which should have never happened to the band in the first place.

Oh, well, that point is totally valid, because I do agree that The Wall is not a Prog album in the traditional sense.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 26 2011, 09:02 AM)

I love the album, and I even would go as far as to say it's a masterpiece, but for me it's pretty much unlistenable now. It's just too angry and intense and exhausting and depressing for me these days - I guess I could relate more in my youth.

I love side 3.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 11 2012, 11:59 AM)
Oooooh....tasty. The Story of Wish You Were Here, on DVD.

Trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQVeSMgCSs

My fav Floyd album wub.gif

Animals...the best of any of them.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 8 2005, 11:51 AM)
Great post.

Well, what *I* love about them (well, WHO is more appropriate) is Dave Gilmour. I acknowledge with great respect Syd's contributions, but to me Pink Floyd ain't Pink Floyd without Gilmour's voice and brilliant, unmatched guitar. Granted, Roger the Codger had the skill to pen fantastic lyrics...unbelievable at times. In this as in so many cases, the sum is greater than the parts. My loyalty is to Gilmour, though...I've seen the band without Roger, and I enjoyed the show tremendously. Obviously the band performed much of the old Floyd stuff, so that debt is owed to Roger. I do enjoy listening to MLOR and Pulse, but no...they're not the same.

To backtrack a bit...the early stuff is an acquired taste, IMO. "Piper" is amazing, no doubt..."Astronomy Domine" is the typical standout. Then "Saucerful" has "Set the Controls" which is a great example of early Floyd...the version on "Live at Pompeii" is fantastic.

Well, I won't go through each album smile.gif but I do enjoy every period of the band's development..."Ummagumma" is...different...smile.gif but everything else holds a place in my heart.

Floyd will always be in my top five favorite bands.

goodpost.gif

I agree .

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Jun 15 2012, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 15 2012, 09:41 AM)
OH MY GOSHHH WATCH THIS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKVJicTW9rc&feature=related

Amazing quality! 2 in a half hour concert! ALL of Dark Side of the Moon! RUN LIKE HELL.

This is the Pulse show that was released on DVD a few years back. Great show!!

It was! I only wish I could've been there! I envy all of those who attended. Looked like quite an experience.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 15 2012, 10:32 PM)
OH MY GOSHHH WATCH THIS.

Amazing quality! 2 in a half hour concert! ALL of Dark Side of the Moon! RUN LIKE HELL.

It was! I only wish I could've been there! I envy all of those who attended. Looked like quite an experience.

Except for the first night, where the seating collapsed, injuring a lot of fans.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 26 2011, 09:02 AM)

Agree totally, particularly regarding the depressing part. The things too damn heavy, so to speak. And musically many of the songs are grating. Liked it as a teen, no so much now. Only Floyd albums I'll go to these days on occasion are the brilliant Animals and DSOTM.

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jun 16 2012, 03:22 AM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 15 2012, 10:32 PM)
OH MY GOSHHH WATCH THIS.

Except for the first night, where the seating collapsed, injuring a lot of fans.

Oh my. That just happened to Radiohead recently, also.