OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 19 2012, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 19 2012, 01:59 PM)
I'm not singling out you Geddyrulz as you clarified your point with more details specifically about A&S but just in general I don't get it.

Well, thanks, because really I get it. I'll be the first to tell people SPEED isn't what makes something "metal," HEAVINESS is, and what makes something "heavy" is usually SLOWER tempos like in "Tom Sawyer." Ever hear the original version of "Tom Sawyer," at about twice the speed? It doesn't have nearly the heavy power of the slower version which made the album.

I think my problem with S&A is that too many songs were mid-tempo.

I think my problem with "Armor and Sword" is that it's not only mid-tempo, it's PLODDING... which, for people who aren't getting me, means it trudges forward with slow, heavy steps, and is unexciting and - especially after six minutes - monotonous. "Armor and Sword," to my ears, is all of those things. It's really tedious to get through, in my opinion.

that and ....well really my first complaint regarding A&S was Neil using that Dave Wekcl Mercy Mercy Mercy groove ...again.

I almost could not believe it when I heard that opening groove....knowing he borrowed it before on T4E....

Check out Daves version from 1989...

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Apr 19 2012, 01:36 PM)
The only problem I'm having is hearing it on my iPhone. There's at least one version on YouTube and none of the links anyone has posted so far play!  comp26.gif

On my iPhone, I went to the Yahoo search window and typed "Rush official tv". It gave me the link to rush.com, which went directly to the website's video of the song. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif You can also go to your web address bar and type in "rush.com", and it should take you there.

Edited by Workaholic Man

Just absolutely phenomenal.

I've said it a million times before and I'll say it again...

The quality theses guys are putting out approaching 60 is absolutely ridiculous.

This song is so heavy, so progressive, it rocks so much, it's soooooo Rush in all their glory.

Rush seems to be getting more and more props every year, but someday everyone will wake up and realize just how incredible they have been and still are

Dear Rush

Thank you! You guys are amazing and never cease to amaze me

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 19 2012, 01:59 PM)
I'm not singling out you Geddyrulz as you clarified your point with more details specifically about A&S but just in general I don't get it.

Well, thanks, because really I get it. I'll be the first to tell people SPEED isn't what makes something "metal," HEAVINESS is, and what makes something "heavy" is usually SLOWER tempos like in "Tom Sawyer." Ever hear the original version of "Tom Sawyer," at about twice the speed? It doesn't have nearly the heavy power of the slower version which made the album.

I think my problem with S&A is that too many songs were mid-tempo.

I think my problem with "Armor and Sword" is that it's not only mid-tempo, it's PLODDING... which, for people who aren't getting me, means it trudges forward with slow, heavy steps, and is unexciting and - especially after six minutes - monotonous. "Armor and Sword," to my ears, is all of those things. It's really tedious to get through, in my opinion.

Plodding, slow or not, Armor & Sword is good, who cares if it's slow? confused13.gif

"Armor and Sword," to my ears, is all of those things. It's really tedious to get through, in my opinion.

Armour and Sword is just a little too long - but easily one of the most "emotive" and melencholy Rush tunes in recent memory for me. Als guitar work gives me chills.

I don't hear a single bit of A&S in the new song whatsoever.

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 19 2012, 03:44 PM)
"Armor and Sword," to my ears, is all of those things.  It's really tedious to get through, in my opinion.

Armour and Sword is just a little too long - but easily one of the most "emotive" and melencholy Rush tunes in recent memory for me. Als guitar work gives me chills.

I don't hear a single bit of A&S in the new song whatsoever.

Yeah they're totally different...

A&S is a great song for sure but it could be shortened down a little. Some of the parts are a little repetitive. Same could be said for songs like Freeze as well. Heck....even HF could be cut down a little without losing much but I do like the extended prog version.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 19 2012, 03:37 PM)
Plodding, slow or not, Armor & Sword is good, who cares if it's slow? confused13.gif

Yes - the tempo of a song does not determine the quality. A slow song doesn't equal a bad song just as a fast song doesn't autopmatically make it "rock" lol.

It's all about the writing!

Loving the new single!!!! It totally rocks, and its (in my opinion) quite catchy. The vocals in general aren't very melodic, save for the "Big steel wheels" line (which is awesome), but still really kick ass!! The bass, drums, and guitar are all very high-voltage. Rock on, RUSH!!!

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Apr 19 2012, 04:11 PM)
Just synced my iPod to get an up-to-date play count for HF, and it's Number 11 in my Top 25 Most Played, with 39 plays. In 24 hours. I probably should stop listening to it now. OK, maybe not! 1022.gif

How'd you go about getting it into iTunes?

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 19 2012, 03:32 PM)
For a song that supposedly lacks any "melody" - I havent been able to get the chorus of Headlong Flight out of my head since yesterday.

I don't think it's completely melody-free, but it's not as melodic as other songs. You're right about the chorus; I've been taking quite a liking to it! 1022.gif

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Apr 19 2012, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Apr 19 2012, 04:11 PM)
Just synced my iPod to get an up-to-date play count for HF, and it's Number 11 in my Top 25 Most Played, with 39 plays. In 24 hours. I probably should stop listening to it now. OK, maybe not!  1022.gif

How'd you go about getting it into iTunes?

Recorded the RS stream using Audacity, saved it as an mp3, and then put it into iTunes. I will of course be buying it when it's officially released smile.gif

First post in a long time.....

Headlong Flight? Eh.....it's ok I guess. Yep, it's heavy. And while that's all exciting, and the fact that more new music is coming is also exciting, to me "heavy" has not been what I have loved about Rush over the years. It's cleanliness. I always loved how amazingly well they play their instruments and how clean, crisp and tight they sounded as a 3 piece band on their records and live.

Now, for some reason it's all about sounding "heavy". Almost like proggy grunge. It's good. I like it. But I must say, I like Caravan more. If the rest of CA sounds like Headlong Flight, that's fine. I'll like it and see them live like I always do. But I sure do miss the "cleaner" sound that showed off their amazing playing. Alex? Alex? shhhhh wink.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Apr 19 2012, 09:28 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFGrWjOX0E

The official video. Great sound. Great visuals even when expanded to full screen on my 27 inch monitor. It's a great way to enjoy the song.

About 24 hours later the song continues to grow on me. I can't wait to see it live. I'll be at the St. Louis (on my birthday!) and Atlanta shows for sure.

I know the song is part of the story, but I agree with those that say it seems to be about Rush as well. I think the song will live on as Neil's commentary on their career more than the story aspect especially when listened to as a stand alone song.

This is a great example of the band firing on all cylinders at the same time. When you add the lyrics and visuals in the video it makes the whole 38 years of the journey seem so epic.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/HeadlongFlightVideo.jpg

Awesome I didn't know their was an official rush youtube channel. Cool lyric video too, I had a similar idea of using vintage clips set to the song, great execution! I hope they upload more music videos from rush's past and future!

Maybe HF was not supposed to be highly melodic, but instead exciting, intense, and grooving. You cant expect everything in one Rush song. Now, if the rest of the album proves to be highly unmelodic, then we have an issue. Have a feeling Garden and Wish them well will satisfy you melody seekers out there.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 18 2012, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2012, 02:11 PM)
Will I grow to love this song as much as their classics from the 70's and 80's?  I doubt it.  Is it as good as Far Cry or Armor and Sword?  No.  The song, however, is growing on me, and it's more than I expected, so I'm biggrin.gif

I enjoy Armor and Sword but this kinda kicks it's ass.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Apr 19 2012, 05:30 PM)
First post in a long time.....

Headlong Flight? Eh.....it's ok I guess. Yep, it's heavy. And while that's all exciting, and the fact that more new music is coming is also exciting, to me "heavy" has not been what I have loved about Rush over the years. It's cleanliness. I always loved how amazingly well they play their instruments and how clean, crisp and tight they sounded as a 3 piece band on their records and live.

Now, for some reason it's all about sounding "heavy". Almost like proggy grunge. It's good. I like it. But I must say, I like Caravan more. If the rest of CA sounds like Headlong Flight, that's fine. I'll like it and see them live like I always do. But I sure do miss the "cleaner" sound that showed off their amazing playing. Alex? Alex? shhhhh wink.gif

??? Do you want HYF part deaux? fing.gif