OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (Shredder2 @ Apr 18 2012, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (anchorman @ Apr 18 2012, 02:02 PM)
This song kicks ass and is already better than Caravan and BU2B IMO.  I'm excited about what the other tunes sound like.

I don't care about lyrics anymore so I've got NO complaints.

It is definitely better than Caravan AND BU2B!

I like Caravan and BU2B just as well although the solo section in HF trumps everything. Wow. Instant goosebumps 1022.gif

QUOTE (Khan @ Apr 18 2012, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 18 2012, 03:40 PM)
1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

OH MY GOSH THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!

This is definitely way better than S&A! yes.gif 1022.gif

RUSH is back! 1022.gif

I really can't say that until I hear the rest of it...

confused13.gif What rest of it? Whole song is streaming?

OMG. I can't remove my smile! This rocks so hard! Geddy's bass lines are incredible! Alex's Lead in off the hook! Damn that snare roll is the longest ever by Peart I think!

This is RUSH at their best!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 18 2012, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (2112rush @ Apr 18 2012, 02:45 PM)
Listened to the song about 8 or 9 times, that can't be healthy can it?

No, it can't...because you haven't hit 10 times yet!

Now get going!

Done! 1022.gif

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Apr 18 2012, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 18 2012, 02:45 PM)
By the way, all you folks asking how do I get it on an iPod - it's not that hard.  Audacity -> record stereo mix -> export.  Yes the audio quality is crappy, but I now have a CD in my truck for the ride home.  Booyah! (My own personal copy, of course, and I will purchase as soon as available, of course.)

Not all sound cards allow for stereo mix. Mine doesn't. The only way I'll be able to record the song is to go home and use my double ended 1/8" audio jack and connect the headphones output to the mic input and record like that. I did the same thing to convert the Rush in Rio DVD to audio.

Or, you could just a get a big ol' boom box, jam you a cassette tape in there, set it near the speakers and mash record! Old school style ftw!

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 18 2012, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (Khan @ Apr 18 2012, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 18 2012, 03:40 PM)
1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

OH MY GOSH THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!

This is definitely way better than S&A! yes.gif 1022.gif

RUSH is back! 1022.gif

I really can't say that until I hear the rest of it...

confused13.gif What rest of it? Whole song is streaming?

Chances are they mean the rest of the album...

laugh.gif

Why is everyone commenting on the sound quality of a streamed clip?

Anyway, I was a little disappointed that Geddy has once again multi-tracked his voice but his screaming (well, almost screaming) makes up for it. And Alex's guitar solo sounds like it's out of the first Rush album!

Anyone who doesn't like this song can now leave the forum.

Edited by Majestyk

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Apr 18 2012, 02:54 PM)
It's on youtube now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN3fySNvz78

1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

This song kicks some ass!

Sorry, but this version on Youtube sounds like crap. It was recorded by soundcard with "Automatic volume limiter" function habilited

Edited by brunosamppa

ohmy.gif HOLY SHIT!!!! ohmy.gif

This songs rules. I never doubted that they wouldn't come out with something good but this song is beyond my expectations. As much as I love Caravan and BU2B, this song blows them both away 1022.gif

Well done guys 2.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 01:25 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 18 2012, 01:18 PM)

I get the impression that the vocal part was worked into the music after the fact, because the two don't mesh incredibly well, but I could be wrong.

Thats usually how songs are written though. You have to write the vocals later. You cant write vocals first, then the music. Doesnt work too well that day.

The issue is anyone who writes songs here knows it really does take serious effort to write an entire song, then fit some vocals perfect over it. Anyones capable of doing this really well, it just depends on how much time you put into it.

If its rushed then you get something that sounds awkward and forgettable which is what Im hearing here. Good music, shit vocal melodies. They could be MUCH better. The dude from Mars Volta is fantastic at writing really great vocal melodies over odd music, but he's said it takes him a long time. Listen to this music, its strange, but the vocals are completely awesome. Takes time to come up with this stuff.

Well, how you approach song writing really just depends on what kind of composer you are. You're right, Rush in this case most likely were just messing with a chord progression before slapping a vocal melody on top of it. In theory class, I've had to get used to building up songs from bass to melody and from melody to bass, so it is possible to do both although building a melody first is usually more difficult. I think that Rush has also built songs from the melodic line as well. The difference between a good melody and a bad one however, is the amount of thought put into it. Also, the vocal line doesn't always have to be the line of melody. Rush in the past has given melody lines to the guitar that mingle and expand on the main melodic theme. That is a difficult task, but when executed right it can sound REALLY good, and can offer an interesting development of the piece as a whole. In this song however, it sounds like a very traditional and predictable melody line was given to Ged, while Alex just slammed on a bunch of chords. I would like to hear him do some counter melody work in this song (as well as arpeggiation). Add in some interesting cadences and a few more progressions and you've got yourself (in what would be my opinion) a really strong piece of music. I'm also wondering if some of the indistinguishable parts of the song that people are attributing to bad mixing, are just coming from voice leading mistakes. I'd have to look at the sheet music to say for sure because my ear isn't that well tuned yet, but I wouldn't be surprised.... This song sounds like a few jam sessions thrown together to me, and not something that the band thought about for a significant period of time. They are a very talented improvisational band, but doing that and then calling it a piece doesn't work unless you're playing jazz, and this isn't jazz (except for maybe, the guitar solo part). I love a huge amount of Rush, but I definitely don't think that everything they touch is gold. Does anyone else on this forum with some tonal theory knowledge have any answers?

QUOTE (udanax @ Apr 18 2012, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 01:25 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 18 2012, 01:18 PM)

I get the impression that the vocal part was worked into the music after the fact, because the two don't mesh incredibly well, but I could be wrong.

Thats usually how songs are written though. You have to write the vocals later. You cant write vocals first, then the music. Doesnt work too well that day.

The issue is anyone who writes songs here knows it really does take serious effort to write an entire song, then fit some vocals perfect over it. Anyones capable of doing this really well, it just depends on how much time you put into it.

If its rushed then you get something that sounds awkward and forgettable which is what Im hearing here. Good music, shit vocal melodies. They could be MUCH better. The dude from Mars Volta is fantastic at writing really great vocal melodies over odd music, but he's said it takes him a long time. Listen to this music, its strange, but the vocals are completely awesome. Takes time to come up with this stuff.

Well, how you approach song writing really just depends on what kind of composer you are. You're right, Rush in this case most likely were just messing with a chord progression before slapping a vocal melody on top of it. In theory class, I've had to get used to building up songs from bass to melody and from melody to bass, so it is possible to do both although building a melody first is usually more difficult. I think that Rush has also built songs from the melodic line as well. The difference between a good melody and a bad one however, is the amount of thought put into it. Also, the vocal line doesn't always have to be the line of melody. Rush in the past has given melody lines to the guitar that mingle and expand on the main melodic theme. That is a difficult task, but when executed right it can sound REALLY good, and can offer an interesting development of the piece as a whole. In this song however, it sounds like a very traditional and predictable melody line was given to Ged, while Alex just slammed on a bunch of chords. I would like to hear him do some counter melody work in this song (as well as arpeggiation). Add in some interesting cadences and a few more progressions and you've got yourself (in what would be my opinion) a really strong piece of music. I'm also wondering if some of the indistinguishable parts of the song that people are attributing to bad mixing, are just coming from voice leading mistakes. I'd have to look at the sheet music to say for sure because my ear isn't that well tuned yet, but I wouldn't be surprised.... This song sounds like a few jam sessions thrown together to me, and not something that the band thought about for a significant period of time. They are a very talented improvisational band, but doing that and then calling it a piece doesn't work unless you're playing jazz, and this isn't jazz (except for maybe, the guitar solo part). I love a huge amount of Rush, but I definitely don't think that everything they touch is gold. Does anyone else on this forum with some tonal theory knowledge have any answers?

Some of the bass work could be described as jazz...

wink.gif

I listened to the song again and here is my prediction:

Typical troll comments...

I don't like the bass tone.

Too much vocal layering.

Not enough melody.

The lyrics don't rhyme.

Can't make out the bass drums.

The guitar should be higher in the mix.

The song is over-compressed.

Not enough guitar solo.

Old Rush good, new Rush bad.