The lyrics don't rhyme.

Can't make out the bass drums.

The guitar should be higher in the mix.

The song is over-compressed.

Not enough guitar solo.

Old Rush good, new Rush bad.

Tom Sawyer is still better.

My only comment? Needs more cowbell!! 2.gif

Don't forget "Neil is a dick" comments...

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (MMCXII @ Apr 18 2012, 03:03 PM)
I'm going to go to the beginning of this thread and read ALL your comments, then I'm gonna roll up some herb and find my headphones... and click. That. LINK!!

Buckle up and make sure you are wearing underpants!!!!

trink39.gif

HOLY FUKK!!!

I literally have tears in my eyes!

THAT WAS INSANE!!!!! NEIL! WOW!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Unbelievable

I need a cigarette now...

.. And I don't smoke!

Edited by MMCXII

QUOTE (vprtrls @ Apr 18 2012, 02:14 PM)
I listened to the song again and here is my prediction:

Typical troll comments...

I don't like the bass tone.

Too much vocal layering.

Not enough melody.

The lyrics don't rhyme.

Can't make out the bass drums.

The guitar should be higher in the mix.

The song is over-compressed.

Not enough guitar solo.

Old Rush good, new Rush bad.

Tom Sawyer is still better.

My only comment? Needs more cowbell!! 2.gif

A tidier version will erase some of your listed worries.

124 User(s) are reading this topic (67 Guests and 2 Anonymous Users):

Nate2112, KW84, Xanadoood, Union 5-3992, Animate, rushjoe, Hatchetaxe&saw, KenJennings, nappy2112, EmotionDetector, MMCXII, Godeater2112, That One Guy, Rushman14, Presto-digitation, eshine, N.O.RUSH, FeelingUnlimited, RenoRush, Cygnus The God Of Balance, av450, The Mighty Dudad, circumstantial tree, J2112YYZ, kevind2112, chrisw25, wilb1972, Shredder2, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, udanax, Jaminbenb, They Bow Defeated, jukebox, Alchemical, snowdog2112, thesweetscience, thizzellewashington, presto123, quantex, Todem, barney_rebel, Majestyk, Jomboni, metallithrax, Tai Shan, cygnify, Red_Lenses, mandydog, greyfriar, 2112rush, losingit2k, Xanadu2112, gerg58mi, AnalogRich, CrossedSignals

Lots of action here people!

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Apr 18 2012, 03:57 PM)
Why is everyone commenting on the sound quality of a streamed clip?

Anyway, I was a little disappointed that Geddy has once again multi-tracked his voice but his screaming (well, almost screaming) makes up for it. And Alex's guitar solo sounds like it's out of the first Rush album!

Anyone who doesn't like this song can now leave the forum.

To be fair there is good reason and it all has to do with concern that the actual release may be substandard quality.

Rush have always argued against bootlegs etc, because they feel they should manage how their "product" is heard, performances at their very finest and not some substandard slop.

We certainly have dirt cheap technology now to stream a new single like Headlong Flight at extremely high quality. Why this didn't happen? Personally I would guess RollingStone is to "blame" and I use the word loosely.

Tomorrow the actual single will come out, and everyone can relax when they hear the quality is impeccable. Until then i don't think anyone is complaining about the sample we've been graciously given, just worried that this might be the actual quality, which it wont be. IMO.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 02:19 PM)
QUOTE (Majestyk @ Apr 18 2012, 03:57 PM)
Why is everyone commenting on the sound quality of a streamed clip? 

Anyway, I was a little disappointed that Geddy has once again multi-tracked his voice but his screaming (well, almost screaming) makes up for it.  And Alex's guitar solo sounds like it's out of the first Rush album!

Anyone who doesn't like this song can now leave the forum.

To be fair there is good reason and it all has to do with concern that the actual release may be substandard quality.

Rush have always argued against bootlegs etc, because they feel they should manage how their "product" is heard, performances at their very finest and not some substandard slop.

We certainly have dirt cheap technology now to stream a new single like Headlong Flight at extremely high quality. Why this didn't happen? Personally I would guess RollingStone is to "blame" and I use the word loosely.

Tomorrow the actual single will come out, and everyone can relax when they hear the quality is impeccable. Until then i don't think anyone is complaining about the sample we've been graciously given, just worried that this might be the actual quality, which it wont be. IMO.

smile.gif

It won't be. It will sound hella better.

QUOTE (Alexmai @ Apr 18 2012, 03:25 PM)
Is it me or it's a FANTASTIC song? Can't wait for a live version!!!

I think we all agree that this is a fantastic song.

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 04:23 PM)
That cool vocal section in the middle reminds me of double agent

Absolutely a nod to that I think! 73 also mentioned a nod to TMMB at around the 5:47 mark I believe. lots of aural easter eggs in there for us!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

It sure is, i went away from it it for about an hour, i just listened again, and i am totally BLOWN AWAY 2.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 03:19 PM)
We certainly have dirt cheap technology now to stream a new single like Headlong Flight at extremely high quality. Why this didn't happen?

Folks need to remember is this a FREE version that we're hearing streamed on the internet. OF COURSE, Rush is going to hold back the higher-quality version for when we buy the track or CD. This is still a business for them, not philanthropy.

Anyway, great track! Musically, it strikes me as "Bastille Day 2012." tongue.gif Kind of feels like a cross between Counterparts and the Fly By Night/Caress of Streel era. 1022.gif

The instrumental section after the spoken part, about 4:37-5:47, is just nuts ohmy.gif 1022.gif , probably the best single minute of new Rush since...maybe HYF?

The vocals work for the track, but it is somewhat apparent that HF started life as an instrumental, as Ged mentions. But I'm confident there will be more vocal-oriented tracks on CA, to balance out tracks like HF and Caravan which are more about the jamming. 1022.gif

2.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Apr 18 2012, 02:30 PM)

It sure is, i went away from it it for about an hour, i just listened again, and i am totally BLOWN AWAY 2.gif

I took a break for awhile too... Listening again!

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 18 2012, 12:37 PM)
Can we all just give kudos to Nick now? I have no doubt he is partly responsible for Rush getting their old mojo back.

What if I didn't like his previous work with them?

tongue.gif

I'll give a healthy semi-kudos until I hear the rest of the album.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 18 2012, 03:37 PM)
Can we all just give kudos to Nick now? I have no doubt he is partly responsible for Rush getting their old mojo back.

This song has such a great Analog Kid vibe to it through the faster parts! 2.gif + Nick = F@cking Awesome!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 18 2012, 01:37 PM)

he's always had my Kudos smile.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Apr 18 2012, 09:30 PM)

Just did exactly the same thing, amazingly it sounded cleaner after an hour's break! Maybe I was over-imagining it in my hour off though laugh.gif

Have listened a total of 11 times now, and it's just getting better with every listen. The hard rocking side of Rush is revealing itself once more, and as well as being anticipated by more people than ever, it's also almost a "best of Rush" song, with bits and pieces from 35 year old albums, right through to the most recent album.

Sales-wise, I think CA is going to blow S&A out of the water, even though I've only heard a quarter of the album. Exciting times indeed! 2.gif