HEADLONG FLIGHT New RUSH Tune

jmdyyz

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 28 2012, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Mar 28 2012, 10:45 PM)
QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Mar 28 2012, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 28 2012, 06:01 PM)
Some more tweets from Dominic Nardella (@nardboy):

"New Rush song sounds like updated "By-Tor." Epic, cool guitar break downs. "I stoke the fires of the big steel wheels...""

"feels like by-tor... epic, weird talking part in the middle, ged's bass sounds phenomenal"

"goes to rock radio on 4/19 (maybe a tad sooner)..."

Updated By-tor?! yes.gif

Talking part in the middle? Sounds like B-Tor mixed with roll The Bones (sort of).

Definitely sounds interesting. Really sounds like the guys DID get into a time machine and channeled something from back in the 70's, not 80-91 as has been reported elsewhere.

I am starting to go common001.gif with anticipation.

Roll the Bones or Double Agent (I hope DA because that song is pure badass)

lets hope there's nothing that resembles roll the bones on the new album.

I think they (meaning the members of Rush) know better than to make that mistake again.

*And I actually rather like Roll The Bones. It's a fun song, even the rap.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 28 2012, 10:50 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 28 2012, 11:47 PM)

"New Rush song sounds like updated "By-Tor." Epic, cool guitar break downs. "I stoke the fires of the big steel wheels...""

"feels like by-tor... epic, weird talking part in the middle, ged's bass sounds phenomenal"

Updated By-tor?! yes.gif

Talking part in the middle? Sounds like B-Tor mixed with roll The Bones (sort of).

Definitely sounds interesting. Really sounds like the guys DID get into a time machine and channeled something from back in the 70's, not 80-91 as has been reported elsewhere.

I think they (meaning the members of Rush) know better than to make that mistake again.

*And I actually rather like Roll The Bones. It's a fun song, even the rap.

i meant the whole album not just rtb tune. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 28 2012, 10:47 PM)

Updated By-tor?! yes.gif

Would've been interesting if they'd gone a little further into Counterparts-esque material.

The new album will probably blow everyone's mind. I don't know why S&A hasn't reached gold or platinum status (*cough piracy) but Clockwork Angels deserves to.

Updated By-tor?! yes.gif

Or Necromancer...

QUOTE (Alexmai @ Mar 29 2012, 10:17 AM)
It looks like the single digital songs are sold well... it's about the albums...

It just adds to the fact that the artists living on singles are generally more pop-oriented.

Big bands went (go) big with albums.

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2012/1/25/583c3555-5e98-4aed-b1e4-ddba2663bba3.gif

CAN.NOT.WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Mar 29 2012, 03:25 AM)
It looks like the single digital songs are sold well... it's about the albums...

It just adds to the fact that the artists living on singles are generally more pop-oriented.

If Moving pictures was released today, its song would sell well without being pop wink.gif

QUOTE (Alexmai @ Mar 29 2012, 10:36 AM)

If Moving pictures was released today, its song would sell well without being pop wink.gif

I think it's safe to say, just like somebody else mentioned previously, that it wouldn't sell as much as it did.

Same goes for Foxtrot or Zep IV.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Mar 29 2012, 03:38 AM)

I think it's safe to say, just like somebody else mentioned previously, that it wouldn't sell as much as it did.

Not even close. MP today would move about what any Rush record moves THESE DAYS, give or take a very little.

Sales have VERY LITTLE to do with quality. That's the big disconnect. Oh, if Rush would only make a modern day classic it'd go triple platinum. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! No, it wouldn't.

Rush, for the most part -- and this applies to just about EVERY heritage act -- sells (wait for it!!) to their fans.

Oh sure there will be some people who turn on to Rush for the very first time with Clockwork Angels. Always happens. But Rush's album-buying fanbase is something that maintains and holds. Some people will be put off and say "no thanks" and other newbies will jump on. Most everyone else like us here will buy it.

No, it has very LITTLE to do with quality. It has to do with being relevant outside your fanbase. And that's fine that they're not. Most aren't. Only the tiniest handful of people are moving multiplatinum units today in a given year and they're either pop, rap, or country artists. They're certainly NOT rock artists pushing 60 years old. But Rush is in great company, so no shame there.

But let's not be delusional and think MP would be some big break through today. It would do just about what every new Rush album does.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 29 2012, 12:03 PM)

Not even close. MP today would move about what any Rush record moves THESE DAYS, give or take a very little.

Sales have VERY LITTLE to do with quality. That's the big disconnect. Oh, if Rush would only make a modern day classic it'd go triple platinum. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! No, it wouldn't.

Rush, for the most part -- and this applies to just about EVERY heritage act -- sells (wait for it!!) to their fans.

Oh sure there will be some people who turn on to Rush for the very first time with Clockwork Angels. Always happens. But Rush's album-buying fanbase is something that maintains and holds. Some people will be put off and say "no thanks" and other newbies will jump on. Most everyone else like us here will buy it.

No, it has very LITTLE to do with quality. It has to do with being relevant outside your fanbase. And that's fine that they're not. Most aren't. Only the tiniest handful of people are moving multiplatinum units today in a given year and they're either pop, rap, or country artists.

If a Rush album sold 1 million copies these days I'd be very worried about the quality.

QUOTE (jmdyyz @ Mar 28 2012, 03:24 PM)
Clockwork Angels Listening Party - "Headlong Flight"
Today Roadrunner Records hosted a listening party where they premiered Clockwork Angels in its entirety for journalists and industry executives. One of those in attendance was XM Radio's Lou Brutus, who today Tweeted:

"In studio right now w/Mark from Roadrunner listening to new tune from @RushIsABand called "Headlong Flight." It's awesome. #ByTorIsASnowDog"
In addition, two tweets from Dominic Nardella (program director at 92.3 in Cleveland) who Tweeted:

"Just heard new Rush song "Headlong Flight" ..... Holy F ing Shit!!!!! 7 and a half minutes of pure genius!!!!!!"
- Thanks to RushIsABand for the headsup!

I am cautious with comments of 1 or 2 people at the party! trink36.gif cool10.gif dazed025.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 29 2012, 06:06 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 29 2012, 12:03 PM)

No, it has very LITTLE to do with quality. It has to do with being relevant outside your fanbase. And that's fine that they're not. Most aren't. Only the tiniest handful of people are moving multiplatinum units today in a given year and they're either pop, rap, or country artists.

If a Rush album sold 1 million copies these days I'd be very worried about the quality.

You know, had I not heard a single note prior to one going platinum I'd be inclined to agree. I mean it's possible you could get a successful AC/DC Black Ice-type marketing surge, but I don't think Rush holds the BIG appeal they once did. Radio is dead. Music videos are about as relevant as a new Kiss album. Record sales have taken the big dump OVERALL. Too many things conspiring against heritage acts to appeal to anyone outside their fanbase.

I've seen heritage acts release a number of great albums in the past few years, from Van Halen to the last Kiss record to Maiden, Mr. Big, Ratt, Whitesnake, etc. No one but fans care. That's just the way it is. I'm ok with that. I'm certainly not going to sit back and wonder how this awesome record didn't go double platinum these days. biggrin.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Phantom @ Mar 29 2012, 05:04 AM)
The money today comes from touring...

Yes, that's what some fans kept responding with on the VH forum.

Do you not realize the problem? I'm just going to copy and paste my same response from the VH forum:

This was my concern many, many pages ago and I kept getting told that it didn't matter about record sales because bands make their money touring these days. Yeah, exactly, that's kind of my point. I just don't think that point connected with those who said "But they're still making money". Look, regardless of any relative sales rank a band has achieved we seem to be reaching a point where it's just a huge waste of time and money to continue recording if you're an established band. How much time and money was spent on ADKOT and how much are they actually getting in return? I'd really like to know because no matter how great we think the album is I really think VH could just tour the same setlist as 2007/2008 and sell just as many tickets/t-shirts, etc. I'm just not convinced that a new record helps market the tours any longer for established bands whether people are actually buying them or not.

So if the options are:

1. Spend a year and a lot of money recording a new album that few buy (and in many cases they don't even want to hear the new songs at the shows) and then make a shitload of money touring.

2. Rehearse the same old songs for a month and then make the same shitload of money touring anyway.

Why would any band choose option 1 unless they can afford to and are doing it just for fun?

Ok, back to live snowdog2112 again wink.gif. Neil even said that S&A basically just broke even and CD sales have dropped enormously even just since 2007. So again, if all you want is nostalgia tours from older rock bands then fine but if you still care about new music we're going to be shortly out of luck. The guys in Rush are genuinely such good friends they may not care but most of these bands only look at each other as business partners. Who wants to spend a year with people you don't like and lose money on a new record no matter how good it is when you can just go rehearse your same standards and play for an hour at the summer shows with similar bands and make the same amount of money? I can't believe some of you actually think "It'll still sell great if it's a great album". You guys are in fantasy land. And if you're a rock band it's even worse. I went and looked it up not long ago and there were all of 2(!) rock bands in the top 50 that week. Nobody beyond the hardcores cares and Moving Pictures or 1984 or Pyromania released these days would be just as ignored and forgotten as anything else.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 29 2012, 10:22 AM)
"...I can't believe some of you actually think "It'll still sell great if it's a great album". You guys are in fantasy land..."

^ like it or not, this is the100% truth