HEADLONG FLIGHT New RUSH Tune

jmdyyz

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 29 2012, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 29 2012, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 29 2012, 04:53 PM)
Hmmmm...well, it would seem to me that if an established band is not making money on albums (or at least making very little money) then they would be a lot less inclined to go into the studio and go to the trouble of making an album, which is where I was going with all that.

As for saying it's the stupidest thing you've read all day, while I appreciate your tact, I would find it hard to believe as there's so much stupid stuff to be read

I vehemently disagree with any notion that piracy has affected the music industry on the whole, or on any band in a significant way. The industry points at declining sales figures and screams bloody murder about piracy, but they never mention the other reasons why CD sales have dropped - the market is correcting itself after it got flooded with CDs in the late 80's and early 90's,

This doesn't make much sense to me. When you consider almost all sales from albums come from teenagers and twenty-somethings, they have no clue what it was like in the 90's. How can the market be correcting itself with a consumer that wasn't even born when this supposed error was made?

It is NOT, however, the stupidest thing I've read all day

It's got little to do with the demographic of who buys albums and more to do with the glut of CDs that the labels put out during that time period. CDs only started to really take off in the late 80's and for about 10 years, everyone went about replacing all of their cassettes and vinyl with shiny silver discs. Once they finished, CD sales slumped - of course they would. For example, once I replaced my entire library at a rate of, say, 20 CDs a year for 10 years, I went back to buying only 2-3 CDs a year. That accounts for the entirety of the 90's right there. That's the period when people were replacing one format with another.

Now, you couple that phenomenon with a rise in technology that allows people to buy music online (which isn't/wasn't tracked in album sales) and then shortly after, the technology that allows you to buy a song at a time (which has never been taken into account in terms of album sales, of course)... can you see what's happening here?

Piracy has almost nothing to do with a decline in album sales.

One more thing... do you know how many times a certain album has been illegally downloaded? Neither does the RIAA. Because it's completely immeasurable. All the hype about how they're losing out on "$3 billion a year" or "$10 billion a year" or that time they tried to claim damages in excess of all the money in the world? It's all bullshit. They're making it it because it's impossible to track illegal downloads. All they have is a guess... and a wildly inflated, just-pulled-it-from-their-asses guess at that.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another great quote form RIAB:

Just listened to the new Rush song "Headlong Flight". My pants are tight!..and moist from losing control of my bladder during the massive Alex Lifeson solo.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 29 2012, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 29 2012, 06:16 PM)
Hmmmm...well, it would seem to me that if an established band is not making money on albums (or at least making very little money) then they would be a lot less inclined to go into the studio and go to the trouble of making an album, which is where I was going with all that.

As for saying it's the stupidest thing you've read all day, while I appreciate your tact, I would find it hard to believe as there's so much stupid stuff to be read

I vehemently disagree with any notion that piracy has affected the music industry on the whole, or on any band in a significant way. The industry points at declining sales figures and screams bloody murder about piracy, but they never mention the other reasons why CD sales have dropped - the market is correcting itself after it got flooded with CDs in the late 80's and early 90's,

This doesn't make much sense to me. When you consider almost all sales from albums come from teenagers and twenty-somethings, they have no clue what it was like in the 90's. How can the market be correcting itself with a consumer that wasn't even born when this supposed error was made?

It is NOT, however, the stupidest thing I've read all day

It's got little to do with the demographic of who buys albums and more to do with the glut of CDs that the labels put out during that time period. CDs only started to really take off in the late 80's and for about 10 years, everyone went about replacing all of their cassettes and vinyl with shiny silver discs. Once they finished, CD sales slumped - of course they would. For example, once I replaced my entire library at a rate of, say, 20 CDs a year for 10 years, I went back to buying only 2-3 CDs a year. That accounts for the entirety of the 90's right there. That's the period when people were replacing one format with another.

Now, you couple that phenomenon with a rise in technology that allows people to buy music online (which isn't/wasn't tracked in album sales) and then shortly after, the technology that allows you to buy a song at a time (which has never been taken into account in terms of album sales, of course)... can you see what's happening here?

Piracy has almost nothing to do with a decline in album sales.

One more thing... do you know how many times a certain album has been illegally downloaded? Neither does the RIAA. Because it's completely immeasurable. All the hype about how they're losing out on "$3 billion a year" or "$10 billion a year" or that time they tried to claim damages in excess of all the money in the world? It's all bullshit. They're making it it because it's impossible to track illegal downloads. All they have is a guess... and a wildly inflated, just-pulled-it-from-their-asses guess at that.

I'm sorry but enough anecdotal evidence is all I need to tell me that piracy is a huge drain. Just following the Van Halen release alone I read even hardcore fans excitedly saying they were going to be scouring the torrent sites on release day, on the main VH forum I go to lots of people were complaining that other fans they knew who spent $150 or more dollars on VH concert tickets were bugging fans on the forum to just burn them a copy of the CD. I had 3 people who are big VH fans plead with me to just burn them a copy of mine (2 wanted the whole album and another just wanted some of the songs) and they couldn't believe I wouldn't do it. Not long ago when I was at work and I was discussing a new movie dvd I ordered from Amazon another person walked by and overheard me and said right in front of everybody "Oh man, you shouldn't have bought that, I could have told you where you could've downloaded it for free... Next time ask me, I'll hook you up". And I've been openly told by others online it's "stupid" to pay for music. It's open theft and it's on a massive scale.

Edited by snowdog2112

There is literally no point in talking about pirating music anymore. This isn't like Napster where Napster servers were actually holding the pirated music, which of course is highly illegal.

Well with torrents all they do is connect people's computers, so there is literally no way to stop it unless they shut the internet down. The bottom line is bands are going to have lower album sales from here on out, and just as they did in the past anyway, they make the bulk of their income from touring.

Rush never made much money on album sales. That's where the record companies make their profits, not the bands. I remember an interview with the 90s group TLC. Their album Crazy Sexy Cool sold 10 million copies. Each of he 3 members only made 75k each off of all those sales, and that was when albums still sold a shit ton since the internet wasnt there to suck it all up.

So we're seeing ticket prices higher than ever now. Nothing can be done about it so the whole thing is just a waste to harp on too much. It's not getting fixed. People will keep pirating movies and music through torrent sites and that's just how it will be. Rush knows this and Im not even sure they care because what can they possibly do? Nothing. Who cares anyway, their last 10 albums have had low sales. Whens the last time Rush sold a million albums? Long time ago.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 29 2012, 08:39 PM)
I'm sorry but enough anecdotal evidence is all I need to tell me that piracy is a huge drain.

Anecdotal. In other words, your limited personal experience - and I'm not being insulting; all our personal experience is limited by definition - because some people asked you to burn some music and because some fans in one forum were asking for torrents...

...that means that piracy is happening "on a massive scale".

Hard numbers tell a different story. Here's one: $480 million. That's how much consumers were overcharged in an industry-wide price-fixing scheme in the late 90's alone. Source, USAToday.

Here's another one: 1.5 billion. That's how many albums were sold in 2010. Couple that with 1.1 billion, the number of digital tracks sold in 2010. Source: Soundscan. In fact, using that same source, let's look at the overall numbers going back a few years:

2010: 1.5 billion units

2009: 1.6 billion units

2008: 1.5 billion units

2007: 1.4 billion units

2006: 1.2 billion units

2005: 1.0 billion units

Sure looks like growth to me. And that's not including digital:

2010: 1.1 billion tracks sold

2009: 1.1 billion tracks sold

(previous years not available on this particular report)

But I'm sure your anecdotal evidence is right on the mark.

I'm not saying nobody is pirating anything. That would be retarded. What I am saying is that piracy is barely putting a dent in the industry and that you are buying into the hype and drinking the RIAA kool-aid.

You wasted five long sentences on another anecdote. I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean *anything*.

Album sales between 2000 and 2009? Sure, they're down. But that doesn't take into account digital sales, which we all know are in the multi-billions in just the past couple of years alone. Fewer platinum sales - same reason. They're not counting digital. In an age when people can buy their favorite song or two off the album for 99 cents each instead of plunking down $15 on the CD, you'd better believe album sales will be down.

You still haven't proven that piracy has had the dramatic effect that you (and the RIAA) believe it does. You can't. Nobody has. All anyone has is anecdotal evidence. That's the problem.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 29 2012, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 29 2012, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 29 2012, 06:49 PM)
QUOTE (That One Guy @ Mar 29 2012, 06:37 PM)

Just a bit of hyperbole, that's all.

I vehemently disagree with any notion that piracy has affected the music industry on the whole, or on any band in a significant way. The industry points at declining sales figures and screams bloody murder about piracy, but they never mention the other reasons why CD sales have dropped - the market is correcting itself after it got flooded with CDs in the late 80's and early 90's, sales are moving to digital formats, and consumer confidence in the product is no longer high enough to justify impulse purchases - in other words, a couple of decades of getting burned by albums that had one or two good tracks on them burned us out on plunking down $15 on a whim.

As for the cost of making an album, it's pennies compared to what it used to be. A lot of these artists own their own studios, and those that don't can rent equipment at a reasonable cost. The days of spending thousands of dollars an hour on a studio are over as long as the artist is willing to work a little harder to invest in themselves. These days, you need little more than your garage (soundproofed), your instrument, and a computer.

It's great that production costs have declined, I assume this would increase creativity and more musicians recording their own material. I completely agree, paying $15 for a subpar album is a thing of the past. Rush is getting my $15 day one of release - they've earned it.

And it's really not stopping big bands from "raking in the dough". Metallica is a two-bit band, and i couldn't care less for a future release from them.

The Foo Fighters recorded their latest album in Dave Grohl's garage. What's that bring the overhead to? The power bill + mastering? That album sold extremely well, too; in an era of free music-sharing.

Wasting Light sort of proved that you can still sell records if you're willing to put the effort in to not present your audience a pile of shit *cough Death Magnetic *cough

How many albums has Wasting Light sold?

Wasting Light went gold.

Death Magnetic went double platinum.

Wasting Light also earned 4 Grammy awards, had a single that was only the second in history to debut at number one on the US rock chart (it hit #1 on three of the US charts), and the album itself debuted at number one in 11 countries.

It has only gone Gold... so far. That's 500,000 units. And who can say how many songs they've sold on iTunes at 99 cents a pop.

Wasting Light was a very profitable album.

I like both quite well. Wasting Light is the better record, but DM was a SHIT TON better than anything since the Black Album. A return to form. But then Metallica is a global phenom too on a scale that Foos aren't, so they'll always sell better. But I'm glad they both put out great albums of late....

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 29 2012, 07:13 PM)
Great new quote on "Headlong Flight" from RIAB!

"Just listened to the new Rush song "Headlong Flight". My pants are tight!..and moist from losing control of my bladder during the massive Alex Lifeson solo."

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

THIS gets me excited!

Alternatively, the lyrics someone else quoted on RIAB from that song, "I stoke the fires of the big steel wheels..." tempers that excitement as those really don't sound that great, although obviously they're taken out of context. Also, comparing the song to By-Tor isn't a major point-winner with me either. I mean, By-Tor is a very good song, but almost all their epics are stronger or much stronger than that.

Still, little one line opinions based upon one hearing are fairly meaningless.

From RIAB

"Flying through the clouds of whimsyyy

Strumming on the waves of the sea

Fleeing from a giantess of the Yorkshires

Echoes of their thoughts slowly come to me"

For what it's worth...from RIAB:

UPDATE - 3/30@7:30AM: Roadrunner continues to shop the Headlong Flight single around the radio community. Grover Collins is the Program Director at WUBE/WYGY in Cincinnati, OH and tweeted the following yesterday evening:

Just heard new RUSH single from upcoming CD "Clockwork Angels" called "Headlong Flight"...Old school RUSH fans rejoice! It ROCKS 74-77 era!

@rushtheband New RUSH single from upcoming CD called "Headlong Flight"...Old school RUSH fans rejoice! It ROCKS 74-77 era! Just awesome!!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 30 2012, 06:59 AM)

UPDATE - 3/30@7:30AM: Roadrunner continues to shop the Headlong Flight single around the radio community. Grover Collins is the Program Director at WUBE/WYGY in Cincinnati, OH and tweeted the following yesterday evening:

Just heard new RUSH single from upcoming CD "Clockwork Angels" called "Headlong Flight"...Old school RUSH fans rejoice! It ROCKS 74-77 era!

@rushtheband New RUSH single from upcoming CD called "Headlong Flight"...Old school RUSH fans rejoice! It ROCKS 74-77 era! Just awesome!!

<sigh>

Well, which is it? 74-77 era or 1980-1991 in a blender? I hate it when conflicting reports start surfacing.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 30 2012, 09:02 AM)

<sigh>

Well, which is it? 74-77 era or 1980-1991 in a blender? I hate it when conflicting reports start surfacing.

laugh.gif

True...for me, I just hate those comparisons altogether.

I don't like hearing "80-91 in a blender", "74-77", "By-Tor feel"...people need to realize by now that especially with RUSH, there is no comparing one album to the next. They are all so unique and different...and I firmly believe that CA will be no exception.

Why compare it to the past? If it sounds good...then it's good. But making comparisons to past songs and albums will only result in a backlash from fans the first time they hear it...and realize it doesn't sound like these to them.

I will judge it for sure once I listen to it. I only really care what I think when it comes to music.

What I am taking from these posts though...is that so far, they all sound extremely positive, and when I couple that with what I've heard so far (Caravan and BU2B), it's shaping up to be an album that I will hopefully LOVE.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 30 2012, 08:02 AM)

<sigh>

Yeah, this is when you throw your arms up and go, okay that it! Not interested in hearing what era this song reminds people of anymore. All that matters is the feedback is positive, and several people have soiled themselves. That is what has got me amped. trink38.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 30 2012, 07:02 AM)

<sigh>

Conflicting reports?? These are OPINIONS about music..

When you finally hear it, you might think it sounds like Pink Floyd..

I know dude, I'm excited too.. tongue.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 29 2012, 10:12 PM)
You wasted five long sentences on another anecdote. I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean *anything*.

Album sales between 2000 and 2009? Sure, they're down. But that doesn't take into account digital sales, which we all know are in the multi-billions in just the past couple of years alone. Fewer platinum sales - same reason. They're not counting digital. In an age when people can buy their favorite song or two off the album for 99 cents each instead of plunking down $15 on the CD, you'd better believe album sales will be down.

You still haven't proven that piracy has had the dramatic effect that you (and the RIAA) believe it does. You can't. Nobody has. All anyone has is anecdotal evidence. That's the problem.

Well, ok, you've convinced me. I'm just going to torrent the new Rush album now and I suggest everyone else here does the same. After all, it won't affect the sales any anyway. wink.gif That's actually not true about digital sales, they're called track-equivalent albums where every 10 tracks sold equals an album.

As far as the description, this is why I was telling people they're making a mistake imagining in their heads what it'll sound like based on "80-91 in a blender" or "sounds like an updated By-tor". Go back and look at that list I posted of fans' reactions the night BU2B and Caravan were released. BU2B got described as everything from sounding like GUP to sounding like Ozzy and Rob Zombie to sounding like Runaway Train from MFH. It just doesn't have any value. The overall excitement is great, no doubt, and that's what matters. But the next description we'll get will probably say it sounds like "Red Barchetta except different" and the one after that will say it sounds "like a heavy metal version of Available Light". That "sounds like" stuff doesn't mean anything except to the person describing it.

Edited by snowdog2112

We are now fighting about a song we have Not heard yet , Fantastic cool10.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 07:51 AM)
Well, ok, you've convinced me. I'm just going to torrent the new Rush album now and I suggest everyone else here does the same. After all, it won't affect the sales any anyway. wink.gif That's actually not true about digital sales, they're called track-equivalent albums where every 10 tracks sold equals an album.

As far as the description, this is why I was telling people they're making a mistake imagining in their heads what it'll sound like based on "80-91 in a blender" or "sounds like an updated By-tor". Go back and look at that list I posted of fans' reactions the night BU2B and Caravan were released. BU2B got described as everything from sounding like GUP to sounding like Ozzy and Rob Zombie to sounding like Runaway Train from MFH. It just doesn't have any value. The overall excitement is great, no doubt, and that's what matters. But the next description we'll get will probably say it sounds like "Red Barchetta except different" and the one after that will say it sounds "like a heavy metal version of Available Light". That "sounds like" stuff doesn't mean anything except to the person describing it.

They may count every 10 tracks as an album now, but it hasn't been that way for long. Going back to the four year free-for-all that Napster ushered in (1999-2003), nothing like that was tracked, of course... and even after iTunes started selling, it took years to start tracking things and applying them to the overall sales certifications. There was a *long* time when legitimate digital sales simply weren't counted when the RIAA was screaming about how pirates were ruining the lives of the poor artists (the poor artists that the labels were offering 1% royalties to).

Some piracy affects sales, sure. There will be some people who will torrent an album that they otherwise would have bought if the technology didn't exist. But when I see hard data like "1.5 billion tracks sold in one year", I have to question just how much of a problem it really is. That, plus the hard data about price fixing and format replacement paints a very, very different picture of piracy than the RIAA would have us believe.

You mentioned torrenting Clockwork Angels... there will be many who do. I will. I'll download it the first chance I get, unless the legal product arrives first (which is extremely unlikely). I'll get it through a torrent, or from Usenet, and then when it's released on iTunes at midnight, I'll probably buy that, too. And I've already got the pre-order on Amazon (if that goes through) - I'll buy whatever physical format they offer; if it's a CD, I'll buy it. If it's a deluxe MVI format like S&A was, I'll buy that, too. Me torrenting the album has no affect on sales. I don't torrent things on the whole, but for this, I will.

As for the descriptions, spot on. Totally agree. And I'm very intrigued by a heavy metal version of Available Light laugh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 30 2012, 10:30 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 30 2012, 09:16 AM)
We are now fighting about a song we have Not heard yet , Fantastic  cool10.gif

I thought you've been here for a while. Welcome to the Rush Forum! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif This is a new Low

Question.

I thought the "Listening Party" got to hear the whole album? So what's up? Are they only allowed to divulge information about the one single slated for release?

I thought surely by now we'd have seen some comments about other tracks, or on the overall "feel" of the album. Not just one song.