HEADLONG FLIGHT New RUSH Tune

jmdyyz

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Mar 29 2012, 10:50 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 29 2012, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 29 2012, 11:00 AM)
Talk about fantasy land, I think it's ridiculous to think that it takes a full year and an untold large sum of money to record a freakin' album. If bands want to be full time musicians, then be full time musicians. When they were young and hungry, Rush put out 8 studio albums and 2 live albums in seven years, and they are widely regarded as the best work of their career. Who has that kind of work ethic these days? And I don't mean the old timers who have earned the right to go a few years between releases and put on massive tours, I'm talking about the up-and-comers. The acts that have only put out an album or two and then wait 4 years to put out another. "We were hard at work!" - no, you weren't! Not for four fking years, you weren't.

It should take a month to record an album. Maybe two if you're having trouble with it. I hear a lot "we put out an album, went on tour for 10 months, then had to spend 6 months writing..." what, you can't write on the road? Seems to me, that used to be the norm.

As for costing a ton of money - really? The band already has their instruments, so not counting the cost there, you can record an album for under $20,000, and that's being loose with your money. Technology the way it is now, you don't need to spend $50,000 an hour getting into the best studio in the world. With a little more work (there's that word again) you can put a kick-ass album out on a shoestring budget.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for anyone that makes a boatload of money, and even less for people who make a boatload of money playing music. I have a lot of respect for people that can be that creative, but when you're making music your job, you should treat it like a job.

key words, "when they were young and hungry".

Which, obviously, they are not. They can take as long as they want to record an album and there isn't anything anyone can do about it except wait patiently. 2.gif

Yep. And that's why I included the line about long time artists earning the right to take a few years off between releases. At some point, you just don't need to put out an album every year because you can tour on the catalog you've got.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nardella Twitter replies:

"I don't own the single. Yet. Label came in and played for me. Good stuff!!!!!"

"roadrunner played it for me They're out playing it for radio types"

"beyond awesome..."

"just that song"

"be ready!! it is epic. EPIC!!!!"

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 29 2012, 11:18 AM)
Some great points in this thread

A couple of my points:

Does anyone remember when Lars Ulrich basically represented the entire music industry in it's lawsuit against Napster? That Napster had absolutely no right to Metallica's music and give it away for free?

Lars took an absolute beating from Metallica fans and music fans in general. He was called greedy, selfish, and that he didn't care about the fans. But he was absolutely right. And little did anyone know how bad it would get.

Now today Music is in a state of flux. There WILL be less music made because bands cannot make money on an album. Period. Creativity will take a hit because of this.

It's an awful time for rock music because of so many factors (IE American Idol, The Voice, image means more than quality) but the biggest factor is that Bands do not make money on making albums no matter how good or popular it is.

I also predict that the movie industry will soon take a big hit as well as movies will soon be available for free download the same time (or even before) it comes out in the theater

For all the great advances in technology, it is going to really kill creativity if there is no money to be made

I can pretty much assure you Rush made this album for themselves. They made it because they till have their creative juices flowing and they needed a release. They're genius musicians and still have creative ideas and this was something they WANTED to do. It wasn't a good business decision but they didn't care.

I'd be shocked if Clockwork Angels was NOT their last studio album

Lars was, and is, a fking idiot. Napster didn't kill the record industry, piracy doesn't kill the record industry and anyone who believes that it does hasn't got a clue about the history of the industry and how technology has affected it.

If you think creativity has taken a hit, go and look at how many songs have been released in the past 10 years compared to the 10 years of the 90's. Thanks to technology and plummeting costs of computers and instruments, anyone - ANYONE - can record a song or a whole album and release it independently. And people are. In droves.

The only thing that's changed is that the major labels can't do business as usual anymore - not that you'd notice, because they're all still posting billions in profit year after year. Creativity hasn't gone anywhere, it's just become harder for the labels to rip us off. And thank god for that. Technology was the best goddamn thing that ever happened to music from a consumer standpoint.

And if you really, honestly believe that creativity is dead and nobody's making music because they can't sell records... go look at the club scene in any town or city. Plenty of bands playing. Plenty of people still making music because making music transcends making money for people that are inspired to make music.

Those that are in it only for the money? Fk 'em. Their music probably sucks anyway.

Creativity is dead. Stupidest thing I've read all day. No offense.

QUOTE (Alexmai @ Mar 29 2012, 03:37 PM)
Nardella Twitter replies:

"I don't own the single. Yet. Label came in and played for me. Good stuff!!!!!"
"roadrunner played it for me They're out playing it for radio types"
"beyond awesome..."
"just that song"
"be ready!! it is epic. EPIC!!!!"

Wahooo! Oh crap, I've just soiled myself. oops.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 29 2012, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 29 2012, 06:06 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 29 2012, 12:03 PM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Mar 29 2012, 03:38 AM)
QUOTE (Alexmai @ Mar 29 2012, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Mar 29 2012, 03:25 AM)
QUOTE (Alexmai @ Mar 29 2012, 10:17 AM)
It looks like the single digital songs are sold well... it's about the albums...

It just adds to the fact that the artists living on singles are generally more pop-oriented.

Big bands went (go) big with albums.

If Moving pictures was released today, its song would sell well without being pop wink.gif

I think it's safe to say, just like somebody else mentioned previously, that it wouldn't sell as much as it did.

Same goes for Foxtrot or Zep IV.

Not even close. MP today would move about what any Rush record moves THESE DAYS, give or take a very little.

Sales have VERY LITTLE to do with quality. That's the big disconnect. Oh, if Rush would only make a modern day classic it'd go triple platinum. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! No, it wouldn't.

Rush, for the most part -- and this applies to just about EVERY heritage act -- sells (wait for it!!) to their fans.

Oh sure there will be some people who turn on to Rush for the very first time with Clockwork Angels. Always happens. But Rush's album-buying fanbase is something that maintains and holds. Some people will be put off and say "no thanks" and other newbies will jump on. Most everyone else like us here will buy it.

No, it has very LITTLE to do with quality. It has to do with being relevant outside your fanbase. And that's fine that they're not. Most aren't. Only the tiniest handful of people are moving multiplatinum units today in a given year and they're either pop, rap, or country artists.

If a Rush album sold 1 million copies these days I'd be very worried about the quality.

You know, had I not heard a single note prior to one going platinum I'd be inclined to agree. I mean it's possible you could get a successful AC/DC Black Ice-type marketing surge, but I don't think Rush holds the BIG appeal they once did. Radio is dead. Music videos are about as relevant as a new Kiss album. Record sales have taken the big dump OVERALL. Too many things conspiring against heritage acts to appeal to anyone outside their fanbase.

I've seen heritage acts release a number of great albums in the past few years, from Van Halen to the last Kiss record to Maiden, Mr. Big, Ratt, Whitesnake, etc. No one but fans care. That's just the way it is. I'm ok with that. I'm certainly not going to sit back and wonder how this awesome record didn't go double platinum these days. biggrin.gif

We reserve the right to slag off the new Rush album but "critics" can f**k off. wink.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 29 2012, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 29 2012, 11:18 AM)
Some great points in this thread

A couple of my points:

Does anyone remember when Lars Ulrich basically represented the entire music industry in it's lawsuit against Napster? That Napster had absolutely no right to Metallica's music and give it away for free?

Lars took an absolute beating from Metallica fans and music fans in general. He was called greedy, selfish, and that he didn't care about the fans. But he was absolutely right. And little did anyone know how bad it would get.

Now today Music is in a state of flux. There WILL be less music made because bands cannot make money on an album. Period. Creativity will take a hit because of this.

It's an awful time for rock music because of so many factors (IE American Idol, The Voice, image means more than quality) but the biggest factor is that Bands do not make money on making albums no matter how good or popular it is.

I also predict that the movie industry will soon take a big hit as well as movies will soon be available for free download the same time (or even before) it comes out in the theater

For all the great advances in technology, it is going to really kill creativity if there is no money to be made

I can pretty much assure you Rush made this album for themselves. They made it because they till have their creative juices flowing and they needed a release. They're genius musicians and still have creative ideas and this was something they WANTED to do. It wasn't a good business decision but they didn't care.

I'd be shocked if Clockwork Angels was NOT their last studio album

Lars was, and is, a fking idiot. Napster didn't kill the record industry, piracy doesn't kill the record industry and anyone who believes that it does hasn't got a clue about the history of the industry and how technology has affected it.

If you think creativity has taken a hit, go and look at how many songs have been released in the past 10 years compared to the 10 years of the 90's. Thanks to technology and plummeting costs of computers and instruments, anyone - ANYONE - can record a song or a whole album and release it independently. And people are. In droves.

The only thing that's changed is that the major labels can't do business as usual anymore - not that you'd notice, because they're all still posting billions in profit year after year. Creativity hasn't gone anywhere, it's just become harder for the labels to rip us off. And thank god for that. Technology was the best goddamn thing that ever happened to music from a consumer standpoint.

And if you really, honestly believe that creativity is dead and nobody's making music because they can't sell records... go look at the club scene in any town or city. Plenty of bands playing. Plenty of people still making music because making music transcends making money for people that are inspired to make music.

Those that are in it only for the money? Fk 'em. Their music probably sucks anyway.

Creativity is dead. Stupidest thing I've read all day. No offense.

Hmmmm...well, it would seem to me that if an established band is not making money on albums (or at least making very little money) then they would be a lot less inclined to go into the studio and go to the trouble of making an album, which is where I was going with all that.

As for saying it's the stupidest thing you've read all day, while I appreciate your tact, I would find it hard to believe as there's so much stupid stuff to be read

QUOTE (Alexmai @ Mar 29 2012, 02:46 AM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Mar 28 2012, 10:45 PM)
QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Mar 28 2012, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 28 2012, 06:01 PM)
Some more tweets from Dominic Nardella (@nardboy):

"New Rush song sounds like updated "By-Tor." Epic, cool guitar break downs. "I stoke the fires of the big steel wheels...""

"feels like by-tor... epic, weird talking part in the middle, ged's bass sounds phenomenal"

"goes to rock radio on 4/19 (maybe a tad sooner)..."

Updated By-tor?! yes.gif

Talking part in the middle? Sounds like B-Tor mixed with roll The Bones (sort of).

Definitely sounds interesting. Really sounds like the guys DID get into a time machine and channeled something from back in the 70's, not 80-91 as has been reported elsewhere.

I am starting to go common001.gif with anticipation.

Roll the Bones or Double Agent (I hope DA because that song is pure badass)

Or Necromancer...

Thank you!! Given that we are talking about By-Tor, The Necromancer is a much, much better song to bring into the mix then RTB (not that I like The Necromancer - I don't) but you are right on the button. Good comparison.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 29 2012, 04:53 PM)
Hmmmm...well, it would seem to me that if an established band is not making money on albums (or at least making very little money) then they would be a lot less inclined to go into the studio and go to the trouble of making an album, which is where I was going with all that.

As for saying it's the stupidest thing you've read all day, while I appreciate your tact, I would find it hard to believe as there's so much stupid stuff to be read

Just a bit of hyperbole, that's all.

I vehemently disagree with any notion that piracy has affected the music industry on the whole, or on any band in a significant way. The industry points at declining sales figures and screams bloody murder about piracy, but they never mention the other reasons why CD sales have dropped - the market is correcting itself after it got flooded with CDs in the late 80's and early 90's, sales are moving to digital formats, and consumer confidence in the product is no longer high enough to justify impulse purchases - in other words, a couple of decades of getting burned by albums that had one or two good tracks on them burned us out on plunking down $15 on a whim.

As for the cost of making an album, it's pennies compared to what it used to be. A lot of these artists own their own studios, and those that don't can rent equipment at a reasonable cost. The days of spending thousands of dollars an hour on a studio are over as long as the artist is willing to work a little harder to invest in themselves. These days, you need little more than your garage (soundproofed), your instrument, and a computer.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 29 2012, 06:05 PM)

I vehemently disagree with any notion that piracy has affected the music industry on the whole, or on any band in a significant way. The industry points at declining sales figures and screams bloody murder about piracy, but they never mention the other reasons why CD sales have dropped - the market is correcting itself after it got flooded with CDs in the late 80's and early 90's, sales are moving to digital formats, and consumer confidence in the product is no longer high enough to justify impulse purchases - in other words, a couple of decades of getting burned by albums that had one or two good tracks on them burned us out on plunking down $15 on a whim.

As for the cost of making an album, it's pennies compared to what it used to be. A lot of these artists own their own studios, and those that don't can rent equipment at a reasonable cost. The days of spending thousands of dollars an hour on a studio are over as long as the artist is willing to work a little harder to invest in themselves. These days, you need little more than your garage (soundproofed), your instrument, and a computer.

It's great that production costs have declined, I assume this would increase creativity and more musicians recording their own material. I completely agree, paying $15 for a subpar album is a thing of the past. Rush is getting my $15 day one of release - they've earned it.

And it's really not stopping big bands from "raking in the dough". Metallica is a two-bit band, and i couldn't care less for a future release from them.

The Foo Fighters recorded their latest album in Dave Grohl's garage. What's that bring the overhead to? The power bill + mastering? That album sold extremely well, too; in an era of free music-sharing.

Wasting Light sort of proved that you can still sell records if you're willing to put the effort in to not present your audience a pile of shit *cough Death Magnetic *cough

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Mar 29 2012, 06:37 PM)

It's great that production costs have declined, I assume this would increase creativity and more musicians recording their own material. I completely agree, paying $15 for a subpar album is a thing of the past. Rush is getting my $15 day one of release - they've earned it.

And it's really not stopping big bands from "raking in the dough". Metallica is a two-bit band, and i couldn't care less for a future release from them.

The Foo Fighters recorded their latest album in Dave Grohl's garage. What's that bring the overhead to? The power bill + mastering? That album sold extremely well, too; in an era of free music-sharing.

Wasting Light sort of proved that you can still sell records if you're willing to put the effort in to not present your audience a pile of shit *cough Death Magnetic *cough

How many albums has Wasting Light sold?

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 29 2012, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 29 2012, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Mar 29 2012, 12:11 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 29 2012, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Mar 29 2012, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 29 2012, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Mar 29 2012, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 29 2012, 06:06 AM)

If a Rush album sold 1 million copies these days I'd be very worried about the quality.

I don't get the correlation...?

I think he means it would be appealing to the lowest common denominator and therefore generic.

Rush has a very dedicated fan base, and I think that because we don't know if this will be the last album, there might be extra incentive to buy.

Hasn't every Rush studio LP sold a million? I thought I had read that somewhere, but I could be wrong.

No, some still aren't even gold.

I looked at the Rush discography on Wikipedia, and you're right. It looks like every Rush studio album has gone Gold in either Canada or the USA, but I would think that Canada's Gold certification threshold is much lower, given the much lower population.

I still think that a million sales is not an indication of quality, though.

Sales is not a reflection of quality. It is a sign of popularity.

goodpost.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 29 2012, 06:49 PM)

Wasting Light went gold.

Death Magnetic went double platinum.

I vehemently disagree with any notion that piracy has affected the music industry on the whole, or on any band in a significant way. The industry points at declining sales figures and screams bloody murder about piracy, but they never mention the other reasons why CD sales have dropped - the market is correcting itself after it got flooded with CDs in the late 80's and early 90's,

This doesn't make much sense to me. When you consider almost all sales from albums come from teenagers and twenty-somethings, they have no clue what it was like in the 90's. How can the market be correcting itself with a consumer that wasn't even born when this supposed error was made?

It is NOT, however, the stupidest thing I've read all day

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Mar 29 2012, 05:57 PM)

"New Rush song sounds like updated "By-Tor." Epic, cool guitar break downs. "I stoke the fires of the big steel wheels...""

"feels like by-tor... epic, weird talking part in the middle, ged's bass sounds phenomenal"

Updated By-tor?! yes.gif

Talking part in the middle? Sounds like B-Tor mixed with roll The Bones (sort of).

Definitely sounds interesting. Really sounds like the guys DID get into a time machine and channeled something from back in the 70's, not 80-91 as has been reported elsewhere.

Or Necromancer...

Thank you!! Given that we are talking about By-Tor, The Necromancer is a much, much better song to bring into the mix then RTB (not that I like The Necromancer - I don't) but you are right on the button. Good comparison.

Yeah I immediately thought of The Necromancer when I heard about the talking part! Hopefully Better than The necromancer's talking part!

So, By-Tor + The Necromancer + Keyboards= Headlong Flight

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 29 2012, 06:16 PM)

I vehemently disagree with any notion that piracy has affected the music industry on the whole, or on any band in a significant way. The industry points at declining sales figures and screams bloody murder about piracy, but they never mention the other reasons why CD sales have dropped - the market is correcting itself after it got flooded with CDs in the late 80's and early 90's,

This doesn't make much sense to me. When you consider almost all sales from albums come from teenagers and twenty-somethings, they have no clue what it was like in the 90's. How can the market be correcting itself with a consumer that wasn't even born when this supposed error was made?

You should have just said "This doesn't make much sense to me, but then you are very small..." and left it at that laugh.gif

(Hopefully other LOTR nerds will get that)

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 29 2012, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 29 2012, 06:49 PM)

Wasting Light went gold.

Death Magnetic went double platinum.

Wasting Light also earned 4 Grammy awards, had a single that was only the second in history to debut at number one on the US rock chart (it hit #1 on three of the US charts), and the album itself debuted at number one in 11 countries.

It has only gone Gold... so far. That's 500,000 units. And who can say how many songs they've sold on iTunes at 99 cents a pop.

Wasting Light was a very profitable album.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 29 2012, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Mar 29 2012, 05:57 PM)

Updated By-tor?! yes.gif

Or Necromancer...

Yeah I immediately thought of The Necromancer when I heard about the talking part! Hopefully Better than The necromancer's talking part!

So, By-Tor + The Necromancer + Keyboards= Headlong Flight

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Totally agree about The Necromancers talking part!! Please let it be better than that!!!

So far we are getting comparisons to the Necromancer, By-Tor and Rush from 80-91. Yup, the guys definitely spent to much time the time machine. Might have even sampled a little cool10.gif while they were in it as well if they are channeling their inner 1970's.

Now watch it sound like Counterparts!!

Hey maybe I just started a new rumor - it going to sound like Counterparts!! (just kidding)

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 29 2012, 05:16 PM)

the market is not correcting itself and record companies are scrambling.

Great new quote on "Headlong Flight" from RIAB!

"Just listened to the new Rush song "Headlong Flight". My pants are tight!..and moist from losing control of my bladder during the massive Alex Lifeson solo."

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Great new quote on "Headlong Flight" from RIAB!

"Just listened to the new Rush song "Headlong Flight". My pants are tight!..and moist from losing control of my bladder during the massive Alex Lifeson solo."

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif