Roll The Bones

jwoods89

I know this isn't one of Rush's most popular albums but damn is it good! I just got it in the mail today and I am listening to it currently and on the last track and I really love this album. I think they really sort of got back to the basics on this one honestly. Not as many synths except on a few songs and the instrumentation is amazing. My favorite cuts from it are currently, Dreamline, Bravado, Roll The Bones, Where's my Thing?, Ghost of a Chance, The Big Wheel, and Neurotica. What are all of your thoughts on this album?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great record. I was thrilled when it first came out. It does get unfair treatment on the Rush boards. Dreamline is still one of my fav Rush songs to this day and I never get tired of it. The vocal phrasing in that song is sublime as is that goosebump guitar solo and amazing chorus. Edited by presto123

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Mar 9 2012, 02:05 AM)
I like it alot, too. As far as Rush albums go, it ranks near the bottom in my opinion but that doesnt mean it sucks. Far from it. Rush has so many spectacular albums that even the "bad" ones are still pretty cool.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. RtB is one of my least-favorite Rush albums, but it has only one song (Heresy) that I don't like. You Bet Your Life, The Big Wheel, and the title track are probably my favorite tunes on it. Bravado is nice. The weak production is a major issue, though. Dreamline and Ghost of a Chance come off so much better live.

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Mar 9 2012, 05:00 PM)
I know this isn't one of Rush's most popular albums but damn is it good! I just got it in the mail today and I am listening to it currently and on the last track and I really love this album. I think they really sort of got back to the basics on this one honestly. Not as many synths except on a few songs and the instrumentation is amazing. My favorite cuts from it are currently, Dreamline, Bravado, Roll The Bones, Where's my Thing?, Ghost of a Chance, The Big Wheel, and Neurotica. What are all of your thoughts on this album?

I like 3 songs off RTB, dislike 3, and think the other 4 are "okay" overall. I don't hate this album but it definitely is at the bottom of the Rush pile imho.

A lot of rock and guitar magazines at the time said the same thing you are about Rush going "back to basics" on RTB. I don't see that though...unless, "back to basics" means "going lighter". wink.gif

Imho, the rap on RTB is hardly bad compared to the frivolous wordplay on You Bet Your (too similar to Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire) Life

For me, this was my first new RUSH album after I became a fan. So for that reason alone, it holds a special place in my heart.gif. So many amazing memories with RTB, including going to Hamilton, Ontario to see them, seeing Alex walk thru the hotel with a set of golf clubs on his shoulder and even seeing Wayne Gretzky in the music store in the mall attached to that same hotel. (evidently, his Dad had a heart problem and was in the hospital and WG was in town that same weekend staying at the same hotel as RUSH!)

At this moment in time, it's probably in the 10 to 14 range for me but that said, it has some really great songs like Dreamline, Bravado, Where's My Thing, Face Up and Heresy. But like I said, "at this moment", that rating of 10 to 14 can change at any time. It's really hard for me to definitively rank RUSH albums because I go thru phases where I fall back in love with an album and then I want to rank it higher. If anything, one of my only gripes on RTB is the rap in the song RTB. It has grown on me over the years and I know it by heart and sing it gladly in a concert, but I could have lived without that ever being included in the song.

Some of the old.gif members on TRF will say this is just being a fanboy and that people who say they actually like all the RUSH albums are just saying it because of some supposed "pressure" to like every album, but for me, that is truly how I feel. The only album that I have consistently ranked last is the debut, but I still like it and love some of the songs on it.

Basically, I just love 2.gif !

There are some good songs on that album, but like was said earlier, it ranks toward the bottom of my fav Rush albums. That is still miles better than most other bands/musicians though. Like was also said, if it sounded like Counterparts, I think alot of people would rank this alot higher. I guess the same could be said for Presto.

Like P:ARF, this was my first new album after becoming a fan with Presto. Maybe it's sentimental value, but I don't consider it at the bottom of the pile (I reserve that for CoS or the debut, depending on my mood). I do think it's probably middle-of-the pack, edging toward the bottom, though.

I thoroughly dislike Face Up, always have. Roll the Bones is meh. The rest are good, but I can probably take You Bet Your Life and Neurotica or leave them. I don't skip them if they come on the rotation, but they don't make me perk up and really listen, either.

I *love* Bravado, but I find that I never listen to the studio version anymore because the live version (on the Mirrors bootleg specifically) with the extended ending is sooo much bigger and better.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 9 2012, 09:23 AM)
Like P:ARF, this was my first new album after becoming a fan with Presto. Maybe it's sentimental value, but I don't consider it at the bottom of the pile (I reserve that for CoS or the debut, depending on my mood). I do think it's probably middle-of-the pack, edging toward the bottom, though.

I thoroughly dislike Face Up, always have. Roll the Bones is meh. The rest are good, but I can probably take You Bet Your Life and Neurotica or leave them. I don't skip them if they come on the rotation, but they don't make me perk up and really listen, either.

I *love* Bravado, but I find that I never listen to the studio version anymore because the live version (on the Mirrors bootleg specifically) with the extended ending is sooo much bigger and better.

Me too - almost, as far as the timing. My neighbor gave me Chronicles and I got RTB the day it came out and went to see the show with my brother. While it does hold a special place for me, it still is one of my least favorite albums.

I became a fan with Presto, so when RTB came out, I thought they sounded a lot alike (same producer so...) and was disappointed it wasn't heavier than Presto.

But having said that, I like Dreamline, Bravado, and Where's My Thing? The rest is sort of in the middle for me depending on my mood. Not particularly fond of the lyrics either.

There's a lot of cheese on this album that I can't get into. Although the hokey production doesn't work for me. They put a little reverb/echo effect on Geddy's vocals in songs like Big Wheel that makes it sound so... I dont know.. Vegas or something to me.

I like it. I really like You Bet Your Life too, which is a big no-no around these here parts.

QUOTE (Dylan2712 @ Mar 9 2012, 03:42 AM)
I also love this album, i wish it was heavier in production though. maybe we'll get a remaster that'll sound thicker like Counterparts? (or maybe one exists?) that being said, i also love Counterparts.

Awesome, could you imagine what RTB would sound like with CP-heavy guitar and bass sound?

1022.gif

This album licks Toad

QUOTE (Babycat @ Mar 9 2012, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 9 2012, 04:21 PM)
This album licks Toad

...Toad?

Trying to be Nice wink.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 9 2012, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Mar 9 2012, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 9 2012, 04:21 PM)
This album licks Toad

...Toad?

Trying to be Nice wink.gif

Oh I see..! wink.gif

heresy is one of their most powerful tracks, and i think the music matches the lyrics and what they are talking about perfectly. i don't play the song often though. the rest of the album i don't care for and i really hope they don't play anything from it on the next tour.