last movie you watched

sonicjams

The Incredibles. Thought I would give it another shot after several years but it still doesn't thrill me. One of my least favorite Pixar films so far.

Did you know that it was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay? The film may have been animated, but it was more for adults than for kids.

The slick James Bond themes and imagery, the metaphors for the 1960's Red Scare, the issue of fearing people who are gifted or different, and the very poignant issue of Society keeping great people down and preventing them from being great.....

For me, it was the smartest animated film ever made. :haz:

It's definitely my favorite Pixar flick for all the reasons you stated perfectly. And more! I love that it actually takes the piss out of the entire superhero genre too.

Reminded me of a poor X-Men movie.

• Like 1

The Incredibles. Thought I would give it another shot after several years but it still doesn't thrill me. One of my least favorite Pixar films so far.

Did you know that it was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay? The film may have been animated, but it was more for adults than for kids.

The slick James Bond themes and imagery, the metaphors for the 1960's Red Scare, the issue of fearing people who are gifted or different, and the very poignant issue of Society keeping great people down and preventing them from being great.....

It's definitely my favorite Pixar flick for all the reasons you stated perfectly. And more! I love that it actually takes the piss out of the entire superhero genre too.

Odd comparison as the X-Men movies tackle themes of racism/alienation. If you had compared The Incredibles to the crappy Fantastic Four movies I'd see the comparison at least.

Odd comparison as the X-Men movies tackle themes of racism/alienation. If you had compared The Incredibles to the crappy Fantastic Four movies I'd see the comparison at least.

Whatever. You're reading too much into it.

I'm gonna be honest I've never known anyone to not love this film.

It was a sensation when it came out and it was loved by everybody! Brad Bird also directed the exauisite Iron Giant and Ratatouille. He's a unique voice in animation and his works I think helped pave the way for more adult animation today.

The Incredibles on every level is one of the most exciting, and yet most intimate movies I have ever seen!

I'm not.

The FF is a superhero family, same as Incredibles. 4 on each team. A husband and wife on each team. A brother and sister on each team. A very powerful young child that isn't yet a member on each team. Same uniforms. One on each team that can stretch, one on each team that can become invisible and make force shields, and one on each team that's super strong. The 4th member on each team is a show off hothead.

Even the villain (The Underminer) at the end of The Incredibles that came burrowing out of the ground?

http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/46/768x432/gallery-1447088728-john-ratzenberger-cameo-the-incredibles-underminer.jpg

Yeah, he's very similar to this FF villain and first appeared in an almost identical way to The Underminer. Then there's the physical similarity to boot:

http://thetrueodinson.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/318649-44677-mole-man_super.jpg

Oh, he burrows underground too. Name: The Mole Man.

Brad Bird did his homework and knew exactly what he was doing. Incredibles mirrored many things from the Fantastic Four. The family angle being the main point.

http://webgames.host/uploads/2015/12/the-incredibles.jpg

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2b/d0/50/2bd0502bd9c745809c11a512cc253922.jpg

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I'm not.

The FF is a superhero family, same as Incredibles. 4 on each team. A husband and wife on each team. A brother and sister on each team. A very powerful young child that isn't yet a member on each team. Same uniforms. One on each team that can stretch, one on each team that can become invisible and make force shields, and one on each team that's super strong. The 4th member on each team is a show off hothead.

Even the villain (The Underminer) at the end of The Incredibles that came burrowing out of the ground?

http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/46/768x432/gallery-1447088728-john-ratzenberger-cameo-the-incredibles-underminer.jpg

Yeah, he's very similar to this FF villain and first appeared in an almost identical way to The Underminer. Then there's the physical similarity to boot:

http://thetrueodinson.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/318649-44677-mole-man_super.jpg

Oh, he burrows underground too. Name: The Mole Man.

Brad Bird did his homework and knew exactly what he was doing. Incredibles mirrored many things from the Fantastic Four. The family angle being the main point.

http://webgames.host/uploads/2015/12/the-incredibles.jpg

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2b/d0/50/2bd0502bd9c745809c11a512cc253922.jpg

That isn't what I meant. I was just saying you were reading more into it than I meant. I've never seen the Fantastic Four so I couldn't compare it to that. Maybe it makes more of an impact if you're familiar with it but it just bored me. The story was just too ordinary.

Saw a few on an airplane:

Eight Days a Week - Beatles doc that didn't do as much for me as I'd hoped. Great pics and footage, but Whoopi Goldberg???

Dr. Strange - pretty cool. Benedict Cumberbund was good as the Doctor. A couple of cool Pink Floyd moments (Dr. S is wearing a Syd Barrett shirt in one scene, and the use of Intersetellar Overdrive on the soundtrack). Very trippy visuals.

Whiplash - great acting, but story/screenplay seemed to be missing something.

Operation Mekong - Chinese movie based on a true story of murder and drugs on the Mekong River. Good acting and some very dark and intense scenes.

• Like 1

Lost in Translation

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/sCnBt9qCB8c/maxresdefault.jpg

Somehow only the second time watching this for me

Such a layered, meaningful movie. From what it wants to say about relationships to Murray and Johansson to the portrayal of the frantic surroundings of Tokyo and the people, this movie is perfect in every way. Even the night life, the cheesedick talk show Murray appears on, and the terrible translations during the whisky commercial shoot are depicted with pinpoint accuracy.

Grade: A+

• Like 2

Earth to Echo. Really cute movie, I was surprised. I love how it was filmed it from the point of view of the kids using their phones and filming each other. Quite different.
  • Like 1

Lost in Translation

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/sCnBt9qCB8c/maxresdefault.jpg

Somehow only the second time watching this for me

Such a layered, meaningful movie. From what it wants to say about relationships to Murray and Johansson to the portrayal of the frantic surroundings of Tokyo and the people, this movie is perfect in every way. Even the night life, the cheesedick talk show Murray appears on, and the terrible translations during the whisky commercial shoot are depicted with pinpoint accuracy.

Grade: A+

Love it!
  • Like 1