Not really listening to rush lately

Nate2112

What's gotten into me, I havent been listening to them in 3 months! Ever since I started to listen to Porcupine Tree and one of my new fav bands, Korpiklaani.

Has this ever happened to you...losing touch to Rush to other bands?

Link To Korpiklaani if anyone's interested.

Edited by Nate2112

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Oct 13 2011, 07:47 PM)
Well there are literally millions of other things to listen to ya know. yes millions.

Yes, I know, I listen to other bands too, but never losing touch with 2.gif though..! cool.gif

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Oct 13 2011, 02:29 PM)
What's gotten into me, I havent been listening to them in 3 months! Ever since I started to listen to Porcupine Tree and one of my new fav bands, Korpiklaani.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzEahz7pa7k...54&feature=plpp

I haven't intentionally listened to rush in 3 years aside from seeing them in concert once on the last tour. There is to much music out there to only listen to one band.

This past spring I didn't really listen to them after the Madison Square Gardens show. I think I listened to 1 album in 3 months. Now I'm back into them but I only listen to an album or 2 a week. I still love them just as much though but there are so many other bands I like.

I don't listen to Rush EVERY DAY, but they are in the regular rotation!

Usually I'll pull out everything to "warm up" before seeing them, but occasionally I'll be in the mood to hear something from Presto and toss it in the car...then go through some other things, and get a hankering for something off of Hemispheres, and toss THAT in the car....

I never go for long periods of time without listening to Rush. Although I still identify them as my favorite band, they are probably number 4 on my list in regards to what bands I listen to the most (Grateful Dead being #1. If only Sirius had a Rush channel broadcasting Rush 24/7)

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 13 2011, 01:58 PM)
I go through tons of phases of not listening to Rush - sometimes for a few days, sometimes a few weeks, sometimes even a few months. Yes, there is a TON of other great music out there. I always come back though. smile.gif

This is the way I describe my listening habits as well.

Well, they are not my most listened to band, but they're up there. Interestingly enough, 3 of my top 5 albums barely get any play.

However, exactly what are describing happened to me with the Beatles. I used to listen to them all the time. Then, when I got into hard rock (and later progressive rock) they got played less and less. I barely listen to them any more, even though they still remain one of my favorite bands. confused13.gif

Haven't listened to them but a handful of times in the last year, usually new music will get me back to listening to a band a they haven't done but 2 songs in 4 1/2 years now. I'm sure when the blue-ray comes out I'll be ready for some more Rush.

rush is my favorite secular band, and i listen to them off and on. so much music...

We listen to the radio all day at work, and aside from that, I've been playing Rush far more than anything else for a little over a year now. I suppose when I've been a fan for many years, it'll be different, but I'm not there yet.

Honestly, since I really got into Rush roughly a year ago, there have been a few places where I have almost drifted. When I have reached that point, I usually start digging through the discography again, and try to check out songs that I passed up and needed more time for them to grow on me. I found that these originally passed up songs grow on me, and attract me right back to Rush.

Rush is probably the first band that has maintained my interest this long without drifting to something else. I think what has made this possible is their large and diverse discography. It has made it possible that when my taste in music changes, I can still listen to Rush. It's like a never ending cycle. I go through a phase of loving the heavy synth stuff, and then move towards the heavier, prog material, and then towards their 90s stuff, etc. The keep me busy.

Needless to say though, Rush isn't the only band I focus on. I have recently gotten into the Cars, rediscovered an interest in Kansas and Alice Cooper, and I also enjoy listening to country now. Luckily there are still many songs by Rush that I have passed over before that I can take another look at. Like I said, I'll save that for when I need to freshen my interest in this band, which I hate to say because I have so much appreciation for them and their music. I hate that I have to say that I need to 'freshen my interest,' but it's true, especially with a short-attention span I sometimes have.

I never go too long without playing some Rush but I do go through phases where I am playing their bootlegs to death. During the summer I go on more road trips so I listen to more Rush in the car. I do spin studio vinyl now and then but only about as much as any other bands. I have slowed down my Rush intake a bit since summer.

I think it's good to take a break now and then. Sounds that much greater when you do reconnect with Rush again.

Rush is my favorite band but I listen to a ton of other stuff and will sometimes go months without listening to them. But one day i'll just start up again for awhile then out of nowhere stop again for a bit.

I've been a Rush fan for 18 years now. The days of me listening to them nonstop passed a long time ago. You can reach a point where you know a certian bands material so well that you can go through phases of not listening to them and it doesn't bother you.

There's a lot of other great music out there and it's better to try and listen to more than just a band or two otherwise you can get yourself burned out on them. Yes, that can even happen with Rush.

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Oct 13 2011, 01:29 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzEahz7pa7k...54&feature=plpp

I dont think ive listened to them in about 6 months. Pretty much just totally burned out on them. Not unusual for me though. Ill go through phases where ill listen to them almost every day for a while, then discover a new band then not have any desire to listen to them for a long time.

Really I havent listened to anything after Permanent Waves in over a year, except for the 2 new songs here and there.

I haven't really listened to Rush as much as I usually would after the start of the summer because I was getting into other stuff. I'd listen to select songs, but in terms of albums, I haven't lately, although I did listen to Permanent Waves a few days ago. Even when I didn't listen to Rush, I still kept in touch with whatever Rush related news was popping up.

This stuff happens no matter how hard you try not to, there's just a ton of great music out there that's waiting for me to discover. In a way, I'm glad that happens cause in the past 3 years, I've discovered these bands that I would pass on years ago like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, or something even more obscure like this Finnish band called Sonata Arctica. Even a well established band like Iron Maiden I've never really got into until recently, yet I still don't know why.

I personally find it a really good thing that I've been getting into more bands because I was at a point where Rush was the only thing I listened to which caused me to be alienated from my friends, my family...just society in general. Nevertheless, at the end of the day, Rush is still and will always be my favorite band. If I wasn't a Rush fan, chances are I wouldn't get into the music I'm into now. That being said, my Rush drive is kicking and screaming again for the Time Machine CD/DVD. I think that could be the other reason why I haven't listen to Rush lately; I want a new Rush CD/DVD ASAP.

Edited by PolarizeMe