Better Call In The Rush "Poll"ice! Neil Peart Or

RUSHHEAD666

Which Drummer is Better? Not Your Favorite!  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which Drummer is Better? Not Your Favorite!

• Stewart Copeland
    • Neil Peart

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I haven't listened to enough Police stuff to make an educated judgement. However if anyone could suggest the songs to listen to?...

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 20 2011, 03:05 PM)
I will say this, though - I love Stewart Copeland's Equalizer theme, but that's it.
Just one stupid question - what does 'fanboy' mean?

From Wikipedia.

Fanboy/fangirl

Fanboy is a term used to describe a male who is highly devoted and biased in opinion towards a single subject or hobby within a given field. Fanboy-ism is often prevalent in a field of products, brands or universe of characters where very few competitors (or enemies in fiction, such as comics) exist. An example is the market for CPUs for PCs, where AMD and Intel together hold a market share of 99.6% (as of Q1 2009).[4] In this market, users of home computers realistically only have a choice between two brands, and hence, a fight over which is better easily ensues. In this field, an "Intel fanboy" prefers CPUs made by Intel, and might aggressively defend their supposed superiority compared to the other brand(s), be skeptical or in denial about negative reviews of the product, and exert a high level of brand loyalty. The same brand war ensues when comparing video card brands Nvidia and ATI, which together dominate the video card market.

The term originated in comic book circles, to describe someone who was socially insecure and used comics as a shield from interaction, hence the disparaging connotations.[citation needed] Fanboys are often experts on minor details regarding their hobbies, such as continuity in fictional universes, and they take these details extremely seriously. The term has also been applied to criticize perceived fan elitism[citation needed]. The term itself is often used in a derogatory manner by less serious fans of the same material. Nevertheless, self-labeling usages of the term have been noted; in the songs of the fannish parody musician Luke Ski, many characters proudly consider themselves fanboys.

The term is usually used by and applied to people in their teens or 20s; an age group which is typically found pursuing geeky hobbies obsessively. Within this group, common objects of deference for fanboys are TV shows, movies, anime, cars, video game consoles, video games, music, operating systems, trains, home computers (in earlier decades), MMORPGs, ISPs, software and computer hardware companies.

The term fangirl can be used to describe a female member of a fandom community (counterpart to the masculine "fanboy"). Fangirls may be more devoted to emotional and romantic aspects of their fandom, especially (relation-)shipping. However, it is commonly used in a derogatory sense to describe a girl's obsession with something, most commonly a male teen idol or an aspect of Japanese pop culture. Fangirl behavior can vary in intensity. On one end of the scale are those that, while harboring a crush on a particular actor or character, are perfectly capable of understanding that the fulfilment of the crush is never going to happen. On the other end are the girls who are said to be obsessive in their claims on a fictional character, even fighting with other fangirls over who 'owns' the character in question. Fangirl behavior can fall anywhere in this spectrum, but the closer someone is believed to be towards the obsessive end, the more derogatory the use of the term 'fangirl' to describe them is perceived to be.[citation needed] Fangirls of all persuasions are believed to be the largest contributors to fanfiction websites, sometimes disregarding the canon storyline of their fandom or altering it to fit either their own favored romantic pairings; or themselves into the continuity (termed self-insertions or Mary Sues).[citation needed] A popular culture gag is that celebrities would use their fans as an army to take over the world.

GeddyFinal.gif I voted for Neil , but Copeland is exceptional also.

Neil was/is in class by himself..has been since about

77-78. La Villa , Xanadu and Cygnus x-1 are proof positive

on that. I also believe that Cygnus (esp. the last half)

was the 1st punk-rock song ever recorded, if you

listen closely...if not, they were on the very cutting-edge

of the movement.

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jun 20 2011, 02:20 PM)
To be honest I haven't listened to enough Police stuff to make an educated judgement. However if anyone could suggest the songs to listen to?...

all their studio work is great. a song that i appreciate is:

or

Edited by tangy

I voted neil but I love Copeland's drumming. I hated The Police back in the 80's but after I realized the many similarities between them and Rush, I was more open to their music and now I'm a big fan. Stewart Copeland is easily my favorite member of The Police.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 20 2011, 04:29 PM)
Apples and oranges but whilst Peart has been influenced by Copeland I can't say that the reverse is true as there's no documentary evidence.

It really can't be apples and oranges if Neil actually was influenced enough to write "New World Man" because of his interest in The Police music back then.

Maybe Neil should have sold the song to The Police.

Check it:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=3328

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 21 2011, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 20 2011, 04:29 PM)
Apples and oranges but whilst Peart has been influenced by Copeland I can't say that the reverse is true as there's no documentary evidence.

It really can't be apples and oranges if Neil actually was influenced enough to write "New World Man" because of his interest in The Police music back then.

Maybe Neil should have sold the song to The Police.

Check it:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=3328

It's apples and oranges in as much as Peart is predominantly a Heavy Prog drummer and Copeland err..isn't. Stylistically they're quite far apart aren't they?

It is hard to compare two very different styles. Neil was obviously influenced by Copeland in the early 1980s, but I don't think Copeland ever took anything from NP.

I would rather listen to Neil's drum solo. I'm not sure SC ever solos and I think it would become quite boring pretty fast. Copeland's strengths lie in what he brings to the song as does NP, but the solos would never compare.

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 20 2011, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jun 20 2011, 02:20 PM)

all their studio work is great. a song that i appreciate is:

or

Thanks! Turns out Gilby wants to get some Police stuff so Ill check it out! cool.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 20 2011, 08:32 AM)
Don't Care

Love,

Klark Kent

ps- go check out some drummers under the age of 30.................. 1022.gif cool10.gif

This post would be OK on any other day...I mean forum.

Who the F*&@ ever heard of Klark Kent?

wink.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jun 21 2011, 06:48 AM)
Neil was obviously influenced by Copeland in the early 1980s, but I don't think Copeland ever took anything from NP.

yes.gif

Signals and GuP are incredibly influenced by Copeland and Co.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 21 2011, 03:17 PM)
...and Neil also writes lyrics.

So did Copeland ("You want something cheesy, you got it!")

Something I like about Copeland is that he, like Bonzo, knew what not to play.

QUOTE (goose @ Jun 21 2011, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 20 2011, 08:32 AM)
Don't Care

Love,

Klark Kent

ps- go check out some drummers under the age of 30.................. 1022.gif  cool10.gif

This post would be OK on any other day...I mean forum.

Who the F*&@ ever heard of Klark Kent?

wink.gif

laugh.gif trink39.gif