Test For Echo

That One Guy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Ninja15 @ Feb 1 2011, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (That One Guy @ Feb 1 2011, 04:01 PM)
I dedicate this the Test For Echo appreciation thread.

I thought this was supposed to be an 'appreciation' thread?!?

Welcome to the forum! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 1 2011, 06:46 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 1 2011, 11:40 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 1 2011, 05:57 PM)
The production is dreadful.

Really? I think one of the album's strengths is how well produced it is. It sounds great. As for the music, it's merely a good album. I call it Rush's R.E.M. album because I can easily imagine Michael Stipe singing "Half the World" and "The Color of Right", both songs could easily fit on R.E.M.'s Monster. But when push comes to shove, it's one of least listened to Rush albums.

The album's too loud for starters. The mix is muddy.

Limbo is practically impenetrable.

the remaster sounds a lot better

QUOTE (Ranger J @ Feb 1 2011, 08:00 PM)
I'm sorry, but any song that opens with:

"In a dogs life
A year is really more like seven
And all too soon a canine
Will be chasing cars in doggy heaven"

...ruins an album. You'd be mistaken to think that the professor was writing lyrics for The Wiggles at the time.

I like T4E, Driven and Virtuality but the overall the album is mud.

I'll take those lyrics over Faithless

QUOTE (01GT Eibach @ Feb 1 2011, 04:39 PM)
I like Test For Echo alot ... more than Counterparts, which everyone else seems to love.

It's close but I prefer it slightly more simply because Counterparts has a couple of noticeably weaker tracks. It's a lot better than Snakes, RTB, HYF or Signals. "Limbo" is my favorite post-MP instrumental. "Carve Away The Stone" is a very cool track that gets no love at all. Definitely one of the 3 or 4 most underrated on TRF.

This is another album that I only recently discovered. My favorite tracks are: T4E, The Color of Right, Resist, Driven and Totem. The rest are okay but Dog Years is a tad cringe-inducing. I'd rate it a 6/10.

The cover art is among my favorites.

Here's my take on T4E: This is the first album that I waited for with baited breath (actually, I talked the owner of a local music store into giving it to me a day early. He knew I was an uber fan by that time cool.gif ). I love the album, and the majority of the songs make regular appearances on my Ipod. No, I don't think it's their best album, but I have a soft spot for it, so to speak. wub.gif

Great:

Half The World

Driven

Totem (yeah, bash away, but my religious views are more inline with Neil's than most, apparently confused13.gif )

Resist (actually, oddly enough, I prefer the album version to the acoustic version. Not to say the acoustic version isn't awesome, though)

Carve Away The Stone (I love the lyrics. If you know anything about the mythological character Sisyhpus, you would see the tongue-in-cheek humor)

Time And Motion

Good:

Limbo (great for most, but not for a Rush instrumental...just "good")

Test For Echo

The Color of Right

Virtuality (lyrics are dated, but the music kicks ass)

Meh:

Dog Years (smart lyrics, actually...but, the delivery is uninspiring)

The preceding post falls under the "IMHO" category. cool.gif

QUOTE (Ranger J @ Feb 2 2011, 01:00 AM)

"In a dogs life

...ruins an album. You'd be mistaken to think that the professor was writing lyrics for The Wiggles at the time.

Sheesh, Neill decides to have a bit of fun and still people moan!!!!!

Seriously Dog Years ROCKS, it's liek the Rockingest thing Rush had done in years, almost got a Punk edge to it, I like to pogo along to it.

Now "I knew he was different in hsi sexuality" that's the way to ruin an album with cringeworthy lyrics 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Feb 2 2011, 04:00 AM)

"In a dogs life

Seriously Dog Years ROCKS, it's liek the Rockingest thing Rush had done in years, almost got a Punk edge to it, I like to pogo along to it.

Now "I knew he was different in hsi sexuality" that's the way to ruin an album with cringeworthy lyrics 062802puke_prv.gif

I feel exactly the opposite. I think Nobody's Hero is amazing and Dog Years is completely cringeworthy.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Feb 2 2011, 06:00 AM)

"In a dogs life

i agree about that one line ruining the song but not about it ruining the whole album. i also like dog years.

Another reason why I like Dog Years:

"chasing cars in doggie heaven"

Not only acknowledging a happy afterlife, but also that dogs go to it and not just humans.

Good rational viewpoint between those who say there is no afterlife, and those that say only a small set of people who have X beliefs go to it and dogs cannot because they cannot engage in those beliefs/practices.

I was more thinking along the lines of:

Super Good: Driven, Test For Echo, Half The World
Good: Resist (way better acoustic), Virtuality, Totem, TCOR, Limbo, T&M
Eh: Dog Years, Carve Away The Stone

I actually am listening to T4E and just skipped Resist

I'll go along with That One Guy's assessment and add:

TFE - I think the title track is underrated.

Limbo - Really like this instrumental. Different sound than all the rest.

Dog Years - Not my favorite song overall, but it's not as bad as folks let on (IMO). I like the "Galapagos" section, and love the drumming.

I don't mind this album but the tour was hella good.

As for songs, I don't mind Dog Years but really dig CATS. Got that kinda Asia Heat of The Moment Riff in the beginning. Plus I like the heavy main riff of Virtuality too.

But I'll admit, it's been awhile since I've listened to it...

I still really like this album and it gets much more play than S&A , which gets no play laugh.gif

QUOTE (Cygnals @ Feb 2 2011, 10:07 AM)
I don't mind this album but the tour was hella good.

As for songs, I don't mind Dog Years but really dig CATS. Got that kinda Asia Heat of The Moment Riff in the beginning. Plus I like the heavy main riff of Virtuality too.

But I'll admit, it's been awhile since I've listened to it...

Agreed, the tour was tremendous. Setlist-wise far better than Time Machine.

TFE wasn't bad per se....but overall it just sort of sounds like Rush went into the studio with not many ideas of what to do. Plus the sound is pretty muddy at times...I remember very well a good friend of mine at the time who was also a big Rush fan complaining that most of Limbo just sounds like noisy distortion. I never felt that way about a Rush song before. (it would only get worse on tour and in albums yet to come)

I don't listen to it often but it's more listenable than Vapor Noise or Snooze and Snores that followed it. laugh.gif

Archived