Test For Echo

That One Guy

I think the only thing that brings it down is the drumming. Neil was on his traditional-grip kick and his drumming on this album seems toned way down. It almost doesn't even sound like him.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Half the World" and "The Color of Right" are really good songs. I think of them as Rush's R.E.M. songs. Rush really has always had their fingers on the pulse of current music. Are they original? No. Are they innovative? Yes. I love when Rush puts their spin on things...

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 9 2011, 12:55 AM)
"Half the World" and "The Color of Right" are really good songs. I think of them as Rush's R.E.M. songs. Rush really has always had their fingers on the pulse of current music. Are they original? No. Are they innovative? Yes. I love when Rush puts their spin on things...

You know, I thought the same thing when I first heard those songs, especially The Color of Right. You could give them to R.E.M. to perform and nobody would know that they were Rush tunes. Yet when THEY do them, they do sound like Rush tunes... confused13.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 9 2011, 02:55 AM)

i like both of these tunes. geds vocals sound good and the music is a good match.

Neil Peart: "The lyrics that surround it are rather unremarkable, and the context of the song seems to cast these lines in the sense of "don't be self-righteous" - something rather uninteresting. But I have used the above metaphor, changed it around, suited it to my needs. I am interested in the double sense of gravity and distance. Physical vs. metaphysical. I take the second meaning of the quotation as another way of saying there is a great difference between theory and practice. When things are serious, when we see them up close, they look different."

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Feb 7 2011, 10:24 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 7 2011, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnals @ Feb 7 2011, 08:56 AM)
QUOTE (Majestyk @ Feb 7 2011, 01:32 AM)
No Rush album is garbage.

Yeah, as someone said in the documentary (Billy Corgan I think), Rush's "mediocre" album is some other band's "gem."

yes.gif

Oh, give me a break. Presto and Test for Echo are garbage albums by anyone's standards.

not mine

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Feb 9 2011, 02:20 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 7 2011, 10:43 PM)
just for the heck of it, i would love to hear what kind of album they would come up with if they decided to get together with terry brown again.

AGREED!!!!!!!

I agree, but Nick is pushing the guys to be themselves lately, as he commented on urging Neil to throw in some nice fills on their two new tracks. I don't see it working from an emotional point of view - In the classic albums documentary you could cut the tension in that studio with a knife.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Feb 8 2011, 10:36 PM)
I think the only thing that brings it down is the drumming. Neil was on his traditional-grip kick and his drumming on this album seems toned way down. It almost doesn't even sound like him.

Honestly I think it's some of his best work.

Archived