Test For Echo

That One Guy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 7 2011, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE (Majestyk @ Feb 7 2011, 01:32 AM)
No Rush album is garbage.

it's ok to say if a rush album is garbage. rtb, presto, and most of s & a is garbage. see how easy that was.

pokey.gif

QUOTE (Cygnals @ Feb 7 2011, 08:56 AM)

Yeah, as someone said in the documentary (Billy Corgan I think), Rush's "mediocre" album is some other band's "gem."

yes.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 7 2011, 01:05 PM)

Yeah, as someone said in the documentary (Billy Corgan I think), Rush's "mediocre" album is some other band's "gem."

yes.gif

Oh, give me a break. Presto and Test for Echo are garbage albums by anyone's standards.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Feb 7 2011, 04:24 PM)

yes.gif

Oh, give me a break. Presto and Test for Echo are garbage albums by anyone's standards.

fing.gif

There's plenty of people that consider Presto and Test For Echo great albums. And, TOTAL SHOCKER, there's also people who consider Power Windows and Signals bad albums.

OPINIONS.

Also, 2.gif

Presto and Test for Echo are garbage albums by anyone's standards.

How can you forget S&A ?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 7 2011, 07:14 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 7 2011, 06:58 PM)
Presto and Test for Echo are garbage albums by anyone's standards.

How can you forget S&A ?

i guess because it's largely forgettable. rimshot.gif

laugh.gif

yes.gif

eyesre4.gif Please. Every Rush album has something to say, bears the Rush stamp of originality and boasts the Rush level of musicianship.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Feb 7 2011, 08:10 PM)

yes.gif

eyesre4.gif Please. Every Rush album has something to say, bears the Rush stamp of originality and boasts the Rush level of musicianship.

Sounds like typical Rush fanboy-ism to me. You're telling me you don't dislike ANY of their albums? Everything is gold in your opinion?

I really dig the album. It was presented to me by friends as the band's "dog" (years!!), but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it and still do, frankly. Now I try to convince them they're mistaken. biggrin.gif

Not all is perfect here, however; from some bland and uber-vanilla moments (Carve Away The...snoooorrreee) to perhaps the worst song ever recorded by Rush (Dog Years), but the stellar stuff is indeed just that: title track, Driven, Totem (underrated), Time & Motion (as well), Half The World (my fav), Resist, etc.

Ultimately the album is a bit like Roll The Bones (although still better to me)...better than half good-to-great with some regretable/forgetable material filling in the rest.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 8 2011, 11:28 AM)
I really dig the album. It was presented to me by friends as the band's "dog" (years!!), but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it and still do, frankly. Now I try to convince them they're mistaken. biggrin.gif

Not all is perfect here, however; from some bland and uber-vanilla moments (Carve Away The...snoooorrreee) to perhaps the worst song ever recorded by Rush (Dog Years), but the stellar stuff is indeed just that: title track, Driven, Totem (underrated), Time & Motion (as well), Half The World (my fav), Resist, etc.

Ultimately the album is a bit like Roll The Bones (although still better to me)...better than half good-to-great with some regretable/forgetable material filling in the rest.

interesting how your worst song is actually enjoyable for me. carve away the stone on the other hand is the perfect example of a filler song and imo is really bad. i'm sure someone out there likes it though.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 8 2011, 01:53 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 8 2011, 11:28 AM)
I really dig the album.  It was presented to me by friends as the band's "dog" (years!!), but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it and still do, frankly.  Now I try to convince them they're mistaken.  biggrin.gif

Not all is perfect here, however; from some bland and uber-vanilla moments (Carve Away The...snoooorrreee) to perhaps the worst song ever recorded by Rush (Dog Years), but the stellar stuff is indeed just that:  title track, Driven, Totem (underrated), Time & Motion (as well), Half The World (my fav), Resist, etc.

interesting how your worst song is actually enjoyable for me. carve away the stone on the other hand is the perfect example of a filler song and imo is really bad. i'm sure someone out there likes it though.

And the funny thing is, I don't even find it unlistenable...just terribly trite and unimaginative. Almost embarrassing, lyrically. But it's not something I skip. Which I guess says a lot about even "bad" Rush songs for me...

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Feb 7 2011, 06:10 PM)

yes.gif

Agreed - they all have something to say, bear their stamp of originality and boasts their level of musicanship... even when the album sucks! tongue.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Feb 8 2011, 11:00 AM)

yes.gif

Sounds like typical Rush fanboy-ism to me. You're telling me you don't dislike ANY of their albums? Everything is gold in your opinion?

Dislike? Honestly no. I'm not saying everything they've ever done is brilliant but it's all good at least. I just take exception to the term garbage used to describe anything they've done. That should be reserved for shallow pop groups, tasteless metal bands and mediocre 70s hard rock groups which I've heard a ton of. It's not like they've ever sunk to the level of Ted Nugent or Meat Loaf for example.

Great songs:

Test For Echo

Driven

Totem

Good Songs:

Color of Right

Time and Motion

Resist

Dog Years

Ok songs:

Half the World

Virtuality

Limbo

Carve Away The Stone

I solid effort. Not one of their best and out of my top 10 for sure. But it is a good album.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Feb 8 2011, 06:08 PM)
Every Rush album has something to say, bears the Rush stamp of originality and boasts the Rush level of musicianship.

Dislike? Honestly no. I'm not saying everything they've ever done is brilliant but it's all good at least. I just take exception to the term garbage used to describe anything they've done. That should be reserved for shallow pop groups, tasteless metal bands and mediocre 70s hard rock groups which I've heard a ton of. It's not like they've ever sunk to the level of Ted Nugent or Meat Loaf for example.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/thanx.gif

I think some people have lost track of what the word "subjective" means when applied to music. It means that everyone will like it based on their own feelings and reactions. Trying to force your subjective opinion on others is just annoying. Is it possible to just accept someone else's opinion, deem it different from your own and move along? This isn't a competition: your opinion isn't diminished just because some disagrees with you.

Now my subjective opinion on T4E... I've been listening to it a lot lately and find that the good songs outnumber the not-so-good ones. Not fond of DY, T&M and Virtuality. Love the title track, TCoR, Resist and Totem. The rest are okay. None of it, IMO, is garbage, though. wink.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Feb 8 2011, 10:27 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Feb 8 2011, 06:08 PM)
Every Rush album has something to say, bears the Rush stamp of originality and boasts the Rush level of musicianship.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/thanx.gif

I think some people have lost track of what the word "subjective" means when applied to music. It means that everyone will like it based on their own feelings and reactions. Trying to force your subjective opinion on others is just annoying. Is it possible to just accept someone else's opinion, deem it different from your own and move along? This isn't a competition: your opinion isn't diminished just because some disagrees with you.

Now my subjective opinion on T4E... I've been listening to it a lot lately and find that the good songs outnumber the not-so-good ones. Not fond of DY, T&M and Virtuality. Love the title track, TCoR, Resist and Totem. The rest are okay. None of it, IMO, is garbage, though. wink.gif

i beg to differ. the first and last songs are total garbage. tongue.gif

Archived