Test For Echo

That One Guy

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Feb 2 2011, 10:06 PM)
a lot of mid-late 90s albums sounded muddy and distorted, that was the style at the time.

Try listening to it with a quality sound system and a remastered copy of the CD. Worked for me. I hear a lot of these "wall of sound" and "distortion" complaints, but maybe I'm just getting lucky. Even Vapor Trails sounds clean on my system.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 2 2011, 10:18 PM)
I dunno, I don't have the greatest speakers in the world, but I think Test for Echo sounds great. confused13.gif

goodpost.gif I find the production of Test For Echo to be spot on. But I can see how VT can be a little "crunchy".

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Feb 2 2011, 08:13 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Feb 2 2011, 10:06 PM)
a lot of mid-late 90s albums sounded muddy and distorted, that was the style at the time.

Try listening to it with a quality sound system and a remastered copy of the CD. Worked for me. I hear a lot of these "wall of sound" and "distortion" complaints, but maybe I'm just getting lucky. Even Vapor Trails sounds clean on my system.

Somehow I doubt that with VT. You would think with a better sound system that all recordings would sound better, but if there are recording or remastering deficiencies, a better audiophile sound system will only magnify those flaws.

I really like Test For Echo. It does not have any bad tracks but what keeps it out of my top 10, is that nothing really stands out for me from this album. Well, except for Totem and Virtuality. But as a whole I really like it and sometimes it gets a lot of play. I'd say it is a decent Rush album. Compared to most of other music, it's great.

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Feb 2 2011, 07:41 AM)
Another reason why I like Dog Years:

"chasing cars in doggie heaven"

Not only acknowledging a happy afterlife, but also that dogs go to it and not just humans.

Good rational viewpoint between those who say there is no afterlife, and those that say only a small set of people who have X beliefs go to it and dogs cannot because they cannot engage in those beliefs/practices.

it's a good listen once in a while. i kind of wish rush would make few more songs like this one. just hard rocking and less gadgetry.

T4E is 'pretty good', a solid album with no real stand out tracks on it. The same can be said for Roll The Bones. For these reasons these are my two least favorite Rush albums and I hardly ever listen to them anymore. I get sick of people dogging Totem and Dog Years though. They are both kinda cool.

This album doesn't get a lot of play by me, and I can't really pinpoint why. Maybe it's similar to the previous comments that there aren't many standout tracks on it. T4E, Driven, Resist, Half the World are all solid songs and Totem is a particular favorite of mine. Maybe I need to give it another listen and let it grow on me. I ignored Power Windows for years and currently I'm listening to that more than any other CD.

QUOTE (mjohnson30 @ Feb 6 2011, 12:02 AM)
This album doesn't get a lot of play by me, and I can't really pinpoint why. Maybe it's similar to the previous comments that there aren't many standout tracks on it. T4E, Driven, Resist, Half the World are all solid songs and Totem is a particular favorite of mine. Maybe I need to give it another listen and let it grow on me. I ignored Power Windows for years and currently I'm listening to that more than any other CD.

That's because Power Windows is a great album and Test for Echo is garbage!

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Feb 6 2011, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (mjohnson30 @ Feb 6 2011, 12:02 AM)
This album doesn't get a lot of play by me, and I can't really pinpoint why.  Maybe it's similar to the previous comments that there aren't many standout tracks on it.  T4E, Driven, Resist, Half the World are all solid songs and Totem is a particular favorite of mine.  Maybe I need to give it another listen and let it grow on me.  I ignored Power Windows for years and currently I'm listening to that more than any other CD.

That's because Power Windows is a great album and Test for Echo is garbage!

it's ok.

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Feb 1 2011, 04:01 PM)
Rocks. I dedicate this the Test For Echo appreciation thread. Even dog years, if that's your thing. T4E is a solid album start to finish, and I would have zero problem having them play the whole thing live. I watched a couple videos on youtube of Neil playing some of it in studio, and Virtuality and The Color Of Right are impressive.

I would have liked it much more if Counterparts:

1) wasn't my first real Rush studio album that got me into them (ASOH was the other)

2) didn't come right before it

3) wasn't probably the best SOUNDING album they've ever put out, sonically-speaking. And T4E didn't sound as good to me in that regard.

Some songs on T4E are awesome (Time & Motion, Driven, even Half the World is great), but ultimately stuff like Dog Years and Virtuality get killed by either hokey lyrics, melody, or both.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 4 2011, 08:10 PM)
i don't like the 1st song and songs 8 through 11.

Ah yes and Carve Away the Stone is maybe their worst album closer ever I agree.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 2 2011, 06:52 AM)
QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Feb 2 2011, 04:00 AM)
QUOTE (Ranger J @ Feb 2 2011, 01:00 AM)
I'm sorry, but any song that opens with:

"In a dogs life
A year is really more like seven
And all too soon a canine
Will be chasing cars in doggy heaven"

...ruins an album. You'd be mistaken to think that the professor was writing lyrics for The Wiggles at the time.

I like T4E, Driven and Virtuality but the overall the album is mud.

Sheesh, Neill decides to have a bit of fun and still people moan!!!!!

Seriously Dog Years ROCKS, it's liek the Rockingest thing Rush had done in years, almost got a Punk edge to it, I like to pogo along to it.

Now "I knew he was different in hsi sexuality" that's the way to ruin an album with cringeworthy lyrics 062802puke_prv.gif

I feel exactly the opposite. I think Nobody's Hero is amazing and Dog Years is completely cringeworthy.

When Nobody's Hero came out I thought it was going to be another "Closer to the Heart" song for Rush, one that was going to be a concert staple from then on.

Boy was I wrong!

P.S- Awesome video too!

Archived