Test For Echo

That One Guy

Rocks. I dedicate this the Test For Echo appreciation thread. Even dog years, if that's your thing. T4E is a solid album start to finish, and I would have zero problem having them play the whole thing live. I watched a couple videos on youtube of Neil playing some of it in studio, and Virtuality and The Color Of Right are impressive.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 1 2011, 04:08 PM)
Great:
Half The World
Driven
Resist

Good:
Test For Echo
Virtuality
Time and Motion
Limbo

Bad:
The Color of Right
Dog Years
Carve Away The Stone
Totem

smilies-8579.png

I wouldn't mind seeing Half The World, Driven, or Resist live.

I was more thinking along the lines of:

Super Good: Driven, Test For Echo, Half The World

Good: Resist (way better acoustic), Virtuality, Totem, TCOR, Limbo, T&M

Eh: Dog Years, Carve Away The Stone

I actually am listening to T4E and just skipped Resist

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Feb 1 2011, 04:01 PM)
Rocks. I dedicate this the Test For Echo appreciation thread. Even dog years, if that's your thing. T4E is a solid album start to finish, and I would have zero problem having them play the whole thing live. I watched a couple videos on youtube of Neil playing some of it in studio, and Virtuality and The Color Of Right are impressive.

I think i love. You

Everything after track one is rubbish.

Track one isn't that good either.

The production is dreadful.

Mind it's slightly more listenable than VT, that album is the aural equivalent of being buckfucked without lube

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 1 2011, 03:57 PM)

While I agree that Driven is easily the best song, I wouldn't say anything on the album (other than some truly cringeworthy lyrics on a few songs) is rubbish per se.

That said, I find the entire album to be very meh, and I skip every track.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 1 2011, 05:57 PM)

Really? I think one of the album's strengths is how well produced it is. It sounds great. As for the music, it's merely a good album. I call it Rush's R.E.M. album because I can easily imagine Michael Stipe singing "Half the World" and "The Color of Right", both songs could easily fit on R.E.M.'s Monster. But when push comes to shove, it's one of least listened to Rush albums.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 1 2011, 11:40 PM)

Really? I think one of the album's strengths is how well produced it is. It sounds great. As for the music, it's merely a good album. I call it Rush's R.E.M. album because I can easily imagine Michael Stipe singing "Half the World" and "The Color of Right", both songs could easily fit on R.E.M.'s Monster. But when push comes to shove, it's one of least listened to Rush albums.

The album's too loud for starters. The mix is muddy.

Limbo is practically impenetrable.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 1 2011, 06:46 PM)

Hmm... maybe I need to clean my ears! laugh.gif

I'll agree that "Limbo" is a mess. It's easily my least fave Rush instrumental.

I still like "T4E," "Driven" and "Time and Motion." The rest I can do without. This album has not aged well for me at all.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 1 2011, 06:49 PM)

I still like "T4E," "Driven" and "Time and Motion." The rest I can do without. This album has not aged well at all.

It's Neil's drums in particular that sound really, really muddy. Partly because of the tuning with those coated heads partly in the recording itself but half the time it's hard to understand what he's playing.

For example T4E, there are some incredibly cool licks in that song but until I saw his DVD I had no idea what he was doing because it all sounded like * rumble, rumble, rumble *.

Mind it's slightly more listenable than VT, that album is the aural equivalent of being buckfucked without lube

Really? Driven and Time & Motion are rubbish. sad.gif

I absolutely love T4E and those two songs.

The only things I'd want to hear live from this album are:

Test for Echo

Resist (acoustic like from the VT tour, that was beautiful)

....MAYBE Driven....

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Feb 1 2011, 11:52 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 1 2011, 06:49 PM)

I still like "T4E," "Driven" and "Time and Motion." The rest I can do without. This album has not aged well at all.

It's Neil's drums in particular that sound really, really muddy. Partly because of the tuning with those coated heads partly in the recording itself but half the time it's hard to understand what he's playing.

For example T4E, there are some incredibly cool licks in that song but until I saw his DVD I had no idea what he was doing because it all sounded like * rumble, rumble, rumble *.

Yes, that's it, the drums. They sound like pre-production demos mixed in to the final takes.

I'm sorry, but any song that opens with:

"In a dogs life

A year is really more like seven

And all too soon a canine

Will be chasing cars in doggy heaven"

...ruins an album. You'd be mistaken to think that the professor was writing lyrics for The Wiggles at the time.

I like T4E, Driven and Virtuality but the overall the album is mud.

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Feb 1 2011, 02:01 PM)

It has become a favorite for me over the years. I had never heard the album but bought it and listened maybe twice before attending the T4E show at Marcus Amphitheater in Milwaukee. Years passed and I never took the disc out of the jewel case until it came time to get back up to speed on Rush in order to attend the Vapor Trails show in 2002. I put T4E in my player and it really hit me how great the album is! It stayed on re-play in my truck disc player for months and it has grown on me more and more since then. Driven is one of my favorite Rush tunes ever... Rock on!

Whats with you test for echo haters its my favorite album the music is amazingly differe with the exeption of dog years firstset of lyrics the album has such deep lyrics and it has the best artwork ever!!

Archived