OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jun 1 2010, 04:35 PM)
and check it out, Neil isn't jut playing drums... he's on cymbal duty too! wow he' the man!! lol

Yeah... but they forgot to credit NP for Symbols...

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jun 1 2010, 02:35 PM)
found this kinda interesing..

GEDDY LEE bass guitar, keyboards, bass pedals, vocals
ALEX LIFESON guitars, KEYBOARDS!!
NEIL PEART drums and cymbals

wonder which parts Alex does on the keys.. and does he play keys the same way he sings.. (pretends lol)

and check it out, Neil isn't jut playing drums... he's on cymbal duty too! wow he' the man!! lol

and Liam Birt is president? president of what?

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 1 2010, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 1 2010, 11:02 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 11:53 AM)
My boyfriend just doesn't like it because its "old".

Dispose of him immediately. wink.gif

Haha, no, unfortunately, I love him to death tongue.gif I've put up with his lack of Rush worship for 2 and a half years now so... I'm pretty much used to it.

And he agreed to go to see Rush in concert with me so, I can't really fault him for not liking "anything old". It does annoy me sometimes however.

It's a good thing I like many of the new bands that he likes.

I don't get why he says it's "old"?!!!!

NO DUDE IT'S BRAND f***ing NEW RUSH!!!!!!!

tongue.gif

To quote him "still sounds old"

confused13.gif

That sucks.

I've dated a few guys that really didn't get Rush and teased me endlessly about loving them. One ended up becoming a hardcore fan outta the blue one day after we broke up (I dunno how the hell that happened) and another one still teases me about them eventhough I DID get him to admit he likes Tom Sawyer. huh.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 1 2010, 02:13 PM)
I predict Clockwork Angels will be their best album since GUP. I can't stop thinking big.

Hey 14!

I said a few years ago on here that "Snakes And Arrows" was their best album since "Grace Under Pressure."

So you never know.

I love these two new tracks. I love the dark and heavy riffs and lyrical content.

I love how people on here would jump down my throat for ripping apart the new stupid title of their next album "Clockwork Angels."

Hell I still hate that title.

The album could be their best since "Hemispheres" but that's not going to change my mind.

The songs will be strong under a very weak title.

Seems now a lot of you are writing threads of negativity and bullshit about these two tunes. "The Song Remains The Same" eh?

Hey, if some of you don't like these new songs then that's your opinion good for you.

Don't buy the new album then. Pick up the new Jonas Brothers cd instead.

Maybe some of you should resign from this Forum and go to www.mylittleunicornfairyprincesspussypoprock.com instead!

"The way out is the way in.............."

QUOTE (Janie @ Jun 1 2010, 02:19 PM)
Just started listening to Caravan. This is heavy. It's sexy. For Rush, this is some sexy damn music... oh wait, it slowed down a little... Alex is on fire. I like this. I can already tell I'm going to love this song. Glad it's in my iPod because this is going to be great to listen to while running tomorrow morning. OMG, Neil is smoking on the drums!

Damn, I so wish I could see them play this live.

Isn't Alexisonfire a band? tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 1 2010, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 12:39 PM)
I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to put up the wave graphs. These songs sound way cleaner to me than VT or S&A.

None of us have yet been able to hear this with CD quality over a good system, but contrast the sound of these songs with something like Moving Pictures and you can see what crystal clear production and a lack of compression can do for amazing sound. I know it's a high benchmark, but with MP you can easily follow either the drums, bass or guitar throughout an entire song - the instrument separation is astounding and it's a joy to listen to.

This is why I fantasized earlier about Gary Katz (70's Steely Dan producer) doing this album. For me it's hard to determine yet if the wall of sound feel is due to just Rush getting REALLY heavy in recent times or compression. It's probably some of both.

Still, it doesn't sound bad, and it's a vast improvement over VT obviously, but compared to something like Moving Pictures, wow, it just can't compare in terms of sonic clarity. Compression is evil - we have volume controls to make the music louder if we need to. It's as if the songs don't even have a chance to shine like they could or should when there's this much clipping.

Good one Gary! I agree.

I blasted these two songs in my car stereo this morning but I have yet to crank them out on my home stereo.

Not sure about the compression issues. Remember, I'm a cd audiophile addict. I never listen to burns or iTunes until now.

I am sure when Japan issues "Clockwork Angels" encoded in the SHM fomat that it will be the best sound quality on the earth.

Time will tell............

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 1 2010, 03:45 PM)

wonder which parts Alex does on the keys.. and does he play keys the same way he sings.. (pretends lol)

yeah really... president of KICK ASS ROCK AND ROLL I'm thinking!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 1 2010, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 1 2010, 02:13 PM)
I predict Clockwork Angels will be their best album since GUP. I can't stop thinking big.

Hey 14!

I said a few years ago on here that "Snakes And Arrows" was their best album since "Grace Under Pressure."

So you never know.

I love these two new tracks. I love the dark and heavy riffs and lyrical content.

I love how people on here would jump down my throat for ripping apart the new stupid title of their next album "Clockwork Angels."

Hell I still hate that title.

The album could be their best since "Hemispheres" but that's not going to change my mind.

The songs will be strong under a very weak title.

Seems now a lot of you are writing threads of negativity and bullshit about these two tunes. "The Song Remains The Same" eh?

Hey, if some of you don't like these new songs then that's your opinion good for you.

Don't buy the new album then. Pick up the new Jonas Brothers cd instead.

Maybe some of you should resign from this Forum and go to www.mylittleunicornfairyprincesspussypoprock.com instead!

"The way out is the way in.............."

I dont hate the album title like you, but I agree it's kind of awkward sounding. perhaps that will change after I hear the entire album.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 1 2010, 02:50 PM)
Compression is evil - we have volume controls to make the music louder if we need to.

That could be just a personal preference that may or may not be true.

laugh.gif tongue.gif

One certainly could have that philosophy.

But as I understand it, you dont really like alot of heavy modern (metalish) bands.

That type of sound requires it to a degree.

(Unless you want a dynamic like bands such as Kayo Dot or Bloody Panda or Flood - era Boris )

Edited by Solitudeix

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jun 1 2010, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 1 2010, 03:45 PM)

yeah really... president of KICK ASS ROCK AND ROLL I'm thinking!! 1022.gif

1022.gif

Heavy. Powerful. Progressive. Relevant. The best material they've produced in decades. Love both songs, especially Caravan, which knocked me straight on my ass. Its a great time to be a Rush fan!

Ok, finally got it. Its good!

Both Rock. Caravan is very PROG! Its damn time!

Caravan suffers from lyrics that once again appear very hard to put into music. But that is often the case with good prog music. So no complaints there. Great song.

BU2B, like the music. The lyrics a beaten to death topic. Bored now Neil.

Both songs kick some butt.

I will now curb my enthusiam as I loved the first two releases from Snakes (Farcry and MalNar) as well. Then the rest of the album blew emaciated goats.

Here's hoping they can do it 8 more times for the complete record. It would be classic.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 31 2010, 11:19 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 1 2010, 12:08 AM)
Listening to Caravan again: it's like hearing Freewill for the first time, all chills, smiles and just thinking, "for f*cks sake this could the best thing they've ever done."

all I know is that Caravan is now a song I'll never tire of hearing, like TS or Kid Gloves or La Villa.

Clearly, this is Old Rush meets New Rush, combining the best parts of both. Which is what many of us have been wanting for a while now. The boys are PLAYING on these songs.

Well said! goodpost.gif

Heard them this morning via Youtube, as apparently you have to be american to buy it from amazon...

Anyway, I'm liking them a lot so far. I'm expecting this album to be even better than S&A, which I thought was for the most part a very good album.

I love the middle section in Caravan, and that opening riff to BU2B is friggin great.

I don't even think the lyrics for BU2B are as bad as i'd thought they might be. It seems Neil has learned to express what he felt on S&A and make it work a little better.

Definitely gonna be cool to hear these live this summer aswell.

This new album's off to a great start already smile.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 06:02 PM)
I seriously don't think anyone can give me a satisfactory definition for what "relevant" means in music. It just seems like a completely useless description.

Dont think its useless. how about vital then. point is its heads and shoulders above most of the contemporary rock out there. anyway not interested in getting into the meaning of relevant, just responding...

Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 31 2010, 11:20 PM)
Both are very fine songs. I'm very pleasantly surprised by the relative heaviness and mid-to-up tempos. Love the keyboard flourishes and less of the "oooh-ahhh" bg vocals this go 'round.

As far as the songs go, I actually give the edge to BU2B. It's just a great melody...perfect combination of a heavy riff and a more lilting and atmospheric chorus. As a song I think this one works better.

That said, Caravan is badass and far more musically interesting. It'll be the favorite overall because of the breakdown as much as anything else and rightfully so. From 3:25 through to the return to the chorus it's pure Rush bliss.

Now hopefully the rest of the album will live up after MONTHS and MONTHS of getting familar with these two tunes. They'll have a lot to live up to.

Kudos to the boys and Nick for putting these together so quickly and not sounding at all rushed.

I was going to post something about that "Rush bliss", but you beat me to it. That is a wicked jam. I skipped back and replayed that part about 15 times in a row today. Awesome.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 31 2010, 10:43 PM)
The band sounds hungry.  Very cool.

Completely agree. They really do.

Well jeez, couldn't they like buy some sandwiches or something? It's not like they don't have the money... unsure.gif