What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Thank you!

My pleasure my friend.

I've been re-reading books from my youth, etc.

I had some health setbacks of my own.

My reading, typing, comprehension skills and vision was affected.

(Which explains my last couple of absences here, lol)

Happy to report that I'm back on the road and heading in the right direction,

I only have good days and great days these days!

Oh my gosh! I did notice you weren't around, and of course you were missed. But wow, I'm glad to hear you're getting better!

• Like 4

My wasband (ex husband - "was my husband") had a stroke 3 weeks ago - we've stayed in touch - and I just got "Stroke of Insight" out of the library after a few people recommended it to me.

https://en.wikipedia...roke_of_Insight

Thank you for the recommendation...

...I will request this from the library straight away.

As C.S. Lewis said, "we read to know that we're not alone".

I pray that the book brings you comfort and guidance.

I'm so very sorry to hear of your wasband's health concerns and promise to keep him in my prayers.

I can totally agree. This is what I wish for your wasband and for you, Laurabw. I'm happy that you can stay in touch and support each other.

Thank you for the tip, the book seems very interesting. I found the audio book in Finnish and added it to my virtual bookshelf. :)

Before Christmas my neurologist found a tiny defect or a scar of a minor stroke in my cerebellum in the right hemisphere. I was very lucky that this was found in the MRI because the stroke itself was a silent and a really small one. I didn't notice any symptoms during the stroke, or haven't noticed any damage after it. Now I've had more MRIs, ultrasound images, blood tests etc. taken and some light precautionary medication given. I'm really thankful for having been given this opportunity to try to prevent more strokes.

I've been super lucky, but despite the stroke having been silent and minor, the information about having had a stroke has been kind of a shock. I'm in my mid-50's and have had a pretty healthy lifestyle. The information already has and it will deepen my understanding of how precious and fragile life is and of how I want to spend the rest of my days relaxing and enjoying things as much as possible (this means: more bass playing :wub: ). Brain health is a topic that interests me, and avoiding stress at work and in life in general is vital for the years (and hopefully, decades) I have left. I will adopt a beach holiday attitude for things - I've decided not to work more than needed or to worry about things I have no power over.

WOW, again! Neil is 57 and as far as I know, he was in decent health. You just never know what's going on in our heads, literally. Scary. Well you and Stephen both have great attitudes, and that's really important.

As is bass playing, lol. I try, myself.

I'm glad I mentioned the book!

• Like 4

My wasband (ex husband - "was my husband") had a stroke 3 weeks ago - we've stayed in touch - and I just got "Stroke of Insight" out of the library after a few people recommended it to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Stroke_of_Insight

I’m so sorry to hear, Laura- but echoing what others have said here, I’m glad that he has your support, that you both have that. And I hope the book serves you well, too!

• Like 5

Thank you!

My pleasure my friend.

I am so glad to hear that you are doing better as well, my brother.

I’m away from this thread for a few hours, and look at all that I missed!

(Well I didn’t miss it…because I saw it now. But you know what I mean!).

• Like 5

I'm so very sorry to hear of your wasband's health concerns and promise to keep him in my prayers.

I can totally agree. This is what I wish for your wasband and for you, Laurabw. I'm happy that you can stay in touch and support each other.

Thank you for the tip, the book seems very interesting. I found the audio book in Finnish and added it to my virtual bookshelf. :)

Before Christmas my neurologist found a tiny defect or a scar of a minor stroke in my cerebellum in the right hemisphere. I was very lucky that this was found in the MRI because the stroke itself was a silent and a really small one. I didn't notice any symptoms during the stroke, or haven't noticed any damage after it. Now I've had more MRIs, ultrasound images, blood tests etc. taken and some light precautionary medication given. I'm really thankful for having been given this opportunity to try to prevent more strokes.

I've been super lucky, but despite the stroke having been silent and minor, the information about having had a stroke has been kind of a shock. I'm in my mid-50's and have had a pretty healthy lifestyle. The information already has and it will deepen my understanding of how precious and fragile life is and of how I want to spend the rest of my days relaxing and enjoying things as much as possible (this means: more bass playing :wub: ). Brain health is a topic that interests me, and avoiding stress at work and in life in general is vital for the years (and hopefully, decades) I have left. I will adopt a beach holiday attitude for things - I've decided not to work more than needed or to worry about things I have no power over.

WOW, again! Neil is 57 and as far as I know, he was in decent health. You just never know what's going on in our heads, literally. Scary. Well you and Stephen both have great attitudes, and that's really important.

As is bass playing, lol. I try, myself.

I'm glad I mentioned the book!

Yes. At first I didn't realize what the storke would mean, and only about a month ago I started to understand what could or could have happened. In a way it really was a shock that my mind protected me from. After that, I've walked into my bathroom many times to see in the mirror if the other side of my face is drooping, or checked if both of my arms and legs are ok. A health care professional said that reactions like this are completely normal. As is a fear of going to sleep (which I don't have), and it may take even years for the things to settle.

I'm not afraid of dying after many other phases I've been through in my life, but afraid of losing the ability to play and/or enjoy music. Paradoxically, this fear that features one of the most devastating thing (losing music) reveals one of the attitudes that was hidden from me this far: if I'd lose music, I would lose my life and there would not be many things left to enjoy. It shows me that trusting the possibility for new passions to show up is hard though life is a constantly growing and changing thing. People who have lost one passion because of an injury do find new passions, but I've had a limited view about myself. I'm hoping to find a relaxed, hopeful and compassionate way to relate to myself.

I'm glad you shared your story and your book tip! :rose:

• Like 5

Your approach and positive attitude serves you well.

Yeah, life is precious and indeed fragile...

...it is true when they say everyday is a gift.

We never run out of things to pray for and I will include you in my prayers as well.

Thank you. :heart: A prayer is a powerful thing, and every little sigh can be a prayer. And every prayer substitutes a worry-filled thought, so praying makes space for us to be more light-hearted. And with less worries, we have more energy to act, to help ourselves and others. I will pray for you, too. I'm happy to see you here, sharing your thoughts. :hug2:

• Like 4

I’m so sorry to hear, Laura- but echoing what others have said here, I’m glad that he has your support, that you both have that. And I hope the book serves you well, too!

I echo the sentiment too, sorry to hear about this but glad you found some resources to help you and share it with others. :hug2:

• Like 4

Thank you!

My pleasure my friend.

Good to hear you are doing better, continue to take care of yourself because it is good to have you here. :D

• Like 4

We all take our health for granted until something like this comes along. I hope I can be as brave when faced with something like this. Love your attitude and keep on playing that bass :geddy:

• Like 3

Started Daughter of the Morning Star, the latest Longmire installment. Very good so far, Walt is looking into threats against the niece of a fellow law enforcement officer. It builds into the ongoing crisis of missing Native women when he finds out her sister had mysteriously disappeared months earlier. Enjoying the audio version, the narrator does a great job. Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4

This is really good! It's by the same author that wrote Band of Brothers. It's about how the Transcontinental Railroad was built. Lincoln had a lot more to do with it than I realized.

Z9NJEL6m.jpg

• Like 2

I recently got the best book! It's the sequel to the movie The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The Eighth Dimension and is entitled: Buckaroo Banzai: Against The World Crime League, Et Al. A Compendium OF Evils. The best part is that it's written by E. M. Rauch, the same guy who wrote the original script and the only thing cooler than that is that this 620 page weighty tome is just the first chapter and will be continued in: Buckaroo Banzai, Emperor Of Earth! I haven't had so much fun with a book in a long while!

Fun fact: E. M. Rauch also wrote the screenplay for Big Trouble In Little China and in the proposed Buckaroo Banzai sequel, he wanted to have Jack Burton show up as a Blue Blazer Irregular! He hasn't shown up in the book yet (I'm only on page 207), but I'm hoping he will!

My next book is: A Kind Of Magic: Making The Original Highlander by Jonathan Melville. I also recently picked up a used (only $2!!!) copy of Philip Jose' Farmer's biography of Doc Savage, whose books I loved as a kid so that's next in the queue.

• Like 1

CGTjOHum.png

Very well written and entertaining. It focuses on the Los Alamos support staff as well as Oppenheimer. It was a fascinating project, for a lot of reasons.

• Like 2