What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

I just finished Ship Of Destiny, the last book of the Liveship Traders Trilogy by Robin Hobb. Segue I can’t thank you enough for recommending Hobb to me! I didn’t think she could outdo the first trilogy, but this one was a constant enjoyment, and the ending was immensely satisfying, with hints of more intriguing riddles to unfold! I’ll be taking a break from Hobb for a while now, getting to some books recommended to me by a good friend from college, and maybe taking another stab at Moby Dick. But this was thrilling and full of adventures I’d never dreamed of! I’m incredibly fond of these characters now, and I want to see this made into a high budget high quality TV series soon!! Especially in this last book, there are so many passages I can just picture on screen. She has an incredibly grasp of drama and a flair that would do well in cinema.

I was first introduced to Hobb a few years ago. I didn't read the Liveship books, or the Tawny (sp?) books, but some others? Wow. I was far and away whenever I opened the covers.

• Like 1

The Sisters Brothers, Patrick DeWitt. On a Kindle.

(I looked back a few pages, not sure if anybody else has posted this)

The "Gold Rush", mid 1800s, from the minds of two brothers.

Very different, very able killers, very ignorant. The narrator (the youngest brother) so keen on being a better person.

Written some how that you are moving with them, deciding with them, making fun of them. At times funny, at other times horribly serious.

I saw the first few minutes of the Netflix (?) version and stopped.

But then came across the book, 2010, Governor General's Award winner.

Yesterday a friend said I should try watching the movie again. I don't know if I want to go there.

What do folks think about TV versions of books?

The Sisters Brothers, Patrick DeWitt. On a Kindle.

(I looked back a few pages, not sure if anybody else has posted this)

The "Gold Rush", mid 1800s, from the minds of two brothers.

Very different, very able killers, very ignorant. The narrator (the youngest brother) so keen on being a better person.

Written some how that you are moving with them, deciding with them, making fun of them. At times funny, at other times horribly serious.

I saw the first few minutes of the Netflix (?) version and stopped.

But then came across the book, 2010, Governor General's Award winner.

Yesterday a friend said I should try watching the movie again. I don't know if I want to go there.

What do folks think about TV versions of books?

Overall they are ok but usually take license with the story to adapt it for the screen. I enjoyed the Harry Potter movies but they are still not as good as the books.

• Like 1

Still working on Next to Last Stand by Craig Johnson. I love all the Custer jokes Henry comes up with...Custer wore an arrow shirt and he got Siouxed. Learning a lot about Custer, it is a good story. One last one..during a viewing of old western movies, Longmire asks Henry what tribe he thought they were portraying, he said Genericky :laughing guy:
  • Like 1

Just in case people in this section haven't seen my original post, I have a newly published book on Amazon Kindle. It's Rush fan fiction, but NOT about the band. It's titled 2115 and has over 70 Easter eggs that any big time Rush fan should recognize. But even if you aren't that deep into the band it is still a good read, go check it out!
  • Like 1

Okay so after I finished The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd I planned to immediately begin The Count Of Monte Cristo. The same friend from college who had recommended the prior book to me said that TCOMC had recently become her very favorite book, and that I should read it when I get the chance. I had read most of it (I thought) a long time ago in my first high school english class (as summer reading before high school even started no less), and I found I still had the digital copy from iBooks. A problem arose when I discovered that digital edition was heavily abridged, and my friend had promised me reading the full unabridged edition was the way to go. That's fine, I'm no stranger to rather taxing reads (I managed The Silmarillion after all, and before I'd read The Lord Of The Rings!), so I decided I'd save money and take a short reading break by checking around local secondhand shops for a copy of the unabridged book. No luck. After some time I realized I hadn't checked if it could be found at my local library. A quick search of their website and I found it, but alas, both copies checked out. Seeing as one of the copies was due back within the first couple days of October (this was probably the last week of September) I put a hold on it, and bided my time for a week... and then a bit longer, until finally the book was returned and put on the hold shelf at my library just this past Sunday. I couldn't get out there in time on Sunday, but I got out there today. Then I didn't fin the time to pick it up and begin until late tonight (I'm a night owl anyway), and lo and behold I just happen across some foreboding text on the inner sleeve: "This newly edited version of the original nineteenth-century English translation speeds the narrative flow while retaining all the essential details of Dumas' intricately plotted and thrilling masterpiece." What?? Clocking in at well over 1100 pages I'd naively assumed this wouldn't also be abridged, but a long string of Googling later (that I should've done weeks ago when I discovered my old digital copy was abridged as well) and it turns out there appears to be only one fully and truly unabridged English translation on the market, and it's not the version I just checked out from my library. Dang. I mean really, what's the point of the library if not to be the place where one can check out classic literature, uncensored!? I realize not every library on earth is going to have this one singular translation which doesn't leave out any of Dumas' details, but I feel a bit miffed about it all the same. So...the solution...read a scanned copy of the unabridged version through Internet Archive (which my library does give me free access to) that took me entirely to long to find... or bite the bullet and just buy a copy of it online...? I've decided both. I found the correct edition at a reasonable price on Amazon, and until that arrives, I'll just be content reading on my laptop screen with Internet Archives' difficult to turn pages.

Perhaps, when I'm finished reading it, I might see about donating an unabridged copy to my library.

• Like 1

I usually read several books at one time, usually an audio and a print book. Right now I am working on Next to Last Stand but I happened to begin listening to Becoming Superman by J. Michael Straczynski.

I love Babylon 5 so I got the book right after it came out a few years ago. I had forgotten I had it on audio and started listening a couple of nights ago. OMG, I cannot believe the stories about his childhood, it is amazing he is a functional adult after hearing some of the events he describes. I also love that Peter Jurasik (Londo Mollari) is narrating it. Having to listen in bits, it is both fascinating and upsetting at the same time.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

I usually read several books at one time, usually an audio and a print book. Right now I am working on Next to Last Stand but I happened to begin listening to Becoming Superman by J. Michael Straczynski.

I love Babylon 5 so I got the book right after it came out a few years ago. I had forgotten I had it on audio and started listening a couple of nights ago. OMG, I cannot believe the stories about his childhood, it is amazing he is a functional adult after hearing some of the events he describes. I also love that Peter Jurasik (Londo Mollari) is narrating it. Having to listen in bits, it is both fascinating and upsetting at the same time.

The actual title of the book is Becoming Superman: A Writer's Journey from Poverty to Hollywood with Stops Along the Way at Murder, Madness, Mayhem, Movie Stars, Cults, Slums, Sociopaths, and War Crimes.

I thought it was a bit over the top but it has proven to be a good description. His family emigrated from Russia and there are family secrets being hinted at that are appalling. I listened to 2 chapters last night and had to quit and have a good cry when his father poisoned his stray cat :scared: :(. He writes so well and I have to know how he got out of that hell hole of a childhood, I will finish reading it...

• Like 2

Mike Rowe, The Way I Heard It.
  • Like 1

The actual title of the book is Becoming Superman: A Writer's Journey from Poverty to Hollywood with Stops Along the Way at Murder, Madness, Mayhem, Movie Stars, Cults, Slums, Sociopaths, and War Crimes.

I thought it was a bit over the top but it has proven to be a good description. His family emigrated from Russia and there are family secrets being hinted at that are appalling. I listened to 2 chapters last night and had to quit and have a good cry when his father poisoned his stray cat :scared: :(. He writes so well and I have to know how he got out of that hell hole of a childhood, I will finish reading it...

I finished this last night. I am in awe of what JMS did with his life and all his accomplishments in spite of the horrible childhood he had. This has got to be the best book I have read in many years. Absolutely fantastic :heart: :clap:

• Like 1

The Boys- Ron Howard and Clint Howard

The First 21- Nikki Sixx

Both were very good! Ron Howard and his brother had interesting but more normal childhoods than I realized. Fun to read.

Nikki Sixx (from Motley Crue) had a dysfunctional family, but more support from his uncle and grandparents than I would have guessed after reading The Dirt. (He does have 2 lines in it where he says the Rush guys are very talented but he doesn't like their music. Bad Nikki! Baaaad!)

• Like 4

The Boys- Ron Howard and Clint Howard

The First 21- Nikki Sixx

Both were very good! Ron Howard and his brother had interesting but more normal childhoods than I realized. Fun to read.

Nikki Sixx (from Motley Crue) had a dysfunctional family, but more support from his uncle and grandparents than I would have guessed after reading The Dirt. (He does have 2 lines in it where he says the Rush guys are very talented but he doesn't like their music. Bad Nikki! Baaaad!)

Hey, it's Motley Crue right? Not the sharpest tools in the shed IMHO :laughing guy:

• Like 1

Decided to re-read Roadshow with Drums, R30 was the first Rush concert I ever went to so I thought it was time to revisit some happy memories. It is bittersweet but also makes me smile too.
  • Like 4

Sayaka Murata: Convenience Store Woman. In this short novel there's a whole lot of observations of our human behaviour that gave me some new perspective.
  • Like 2

Sayaka Murata: Convenience Store Woman. In this short novel there's a whole lot of observations of our human behaviour that gave me some new perspective.

I haven`t started that yet, as I haven`t finished Earthlings by the same author. But she`s a superstar and writes about things in a brilliant way (although I wish I could read in the original Japanese in case the translations erase some of the meaning, as we`ve kind of discussed before).
  • Like 1