What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

51HchBNd49L._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg

Been so long since I read this one, recommend people read it now before the book ban folks take it up again :eh: :tsk:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4

51HchBNd49L._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg

Been so long since I read this one, recommend people read it now before the book ban folks take it up again :eh: :tsk:

Agree, a great novel.

• Like 2

The Cat 3, that book has bits of it that have stuck in my head, like almost forty years later.

And Rumble Fish. It was a world of young adults I simply had no inkling of, growing up in the safe and moderate society of Willowdale, ON.

I grew up in a pretty rough area that bordered a wealthier area with a shared school system and could relate to the book on so many levels growing up.

It had been many years since I've read this book and it truly was like reconnecting with an old friend.

Much the way music can be connected to times, place, people and memories...this book feels much the same for me.

Stay gold, Pony Boy

• Like 3

Just recently finished The Princess Casamassima, by Henry James

And Driven: Rush in the ‘90s, by Martin Popoff

This morning I started The Power and the Glory, by Graham Greene.

• Like 2

The Cat 3, that book has bits of it that have stuck in my head, like almost forty years later.

And Rumble Fish. It was a world of young adults I simply had no inkling of, growing up in the safe and moderate society of Willowdale, ON.

I grew up in a pretty rough area that bordered a wealthier area with a shared school system and could relate to the book on so many levels growing up.

It had been many years since I've read this book and it truly was like reconnecting with an old friend.

Much the way music can be connected to times, place, people and memories...this book feels much the same for me.

It was a favorite of ours in high school. I enjoyed reading it again when one of my kids was reading it in school. It held up well.

• Like 2

Hackers - Heroes of the computer revolution. --Steven Levy

A nice book about the early days of computing and the evolution of the Hacker Ethic at MIT in the late 50's and early 60's.

• Like 3

Daphne du Maurier - Rebecca

I’ve never read du Maurier at all, but I have Jamaica Inn on order right now; it hasn’t arrived yet.

So in the mean time…

Edited by Blue J

My wasband (ex husband - "was my husband") had a stroke 3 weeks ago - we've stayed in touch - and I just got "Stroke of Insight" out of the library after a few people recommended it to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Stroke_of_Insight

• Like 1

My wasband (ex husband - "was my husband") had a stroke 3 weeks ago - we've stayed in touch - and I just got "Stroke of Insight" out of the library after a few people recommended it to me.

https://en.wikipedia...roke_of_Insight

Thank you for the recommendation...

...I will request this from the library straight away.

As C.S. Lewis said, "we read to know that we're not alone".

I pray that the book brings you comfort and guidance.

I'm so very sorry to hear of your wasband's health concerns and promise to keep him in my prayers.

• Like 3

Thank you!

My pleasure my friend.

I've been re-reading books from my youth, etc.

I had some health setbacks of my own.

My reading, typing, comprehension skills and vision was affected.

(Which explains my last couple of absences here, lol)

Happy to report that I'm back on the road and heading in the right direction,

I only have good days and great days these days!

• Like 4

I'm so very sorry to hear of your wasband's health concerns and promise to keep him in my prayers.

I can totally agree. This is what I wish for your wasband and for you, Laurabw. I'm happy that you can stay in touch and support each other.

Thank you for the tip, the book seems very interesting. I found the audio book in Finnish and added it to my virtual bookshelf. :)

Before Christmas my neurologist found a tiny defect or a scar of a minor stroke in my cerebellum in the right hemisphere. I was very lucky that this was found in the MRI because the stroke itself was a silent and a really small one. I didn't notice any symptoms during the stroke, or haven't noticed any damage after it. Now I've had more MRIs, ultrasound images, blood tests etc. taken and some light precautionary medication given. I'm really thankful for having been given this opportunity to try to prevent more strokes.

I've been super lucky, but despite the stroke having been silent and minor, the information about having had a stroke has been kind of a shock. I'm in my mid-50's and have had a pretty healthy lifestyle. The information already has and it will deepen my understanding of how precious and fragile life is and of how I want to spend the rest of my days relaxing and enjoying things as much as possible (this means: more bass playing :wub: ). Brain health is a topic that interests me, and avoiding stress at work and in life in general is vital for the years (and hopefully, decades) I have left. I will adopt a beach holiday attitude for things - I've decided not to work more than needed or to worry about things I have no power over.

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 4

I can totally agree. This is what I wish for your wasband and for you, Laurabw. I'm happy that you can stay in touch and support each other.

Thank you for the tip, the book seems very interesting. I found the audio book in Finnish and added it to my virtual bookshelf. :)

Before Christmas my neurologist found a tiny defect or a scar of a minor stroke in my cerebellum in the right hemisphere. I was very lucky that this was found in the MRI because the stroke itself was a silent and a really small one. I didn't notice any symptoms during the stroke, or haven't noticed any damage after it. Now I've had more MRIs, ultrasound images, blood tests etc. taken and some light precautionary medication given. I'm really thankful for having been given this opportunity to try to prevent more strokes.

I've been super lucky, but despite the stroke having been silent and minor, the information about having had a stroke has been kind of a shock. I'm in my mid-50's and have had a pretty healthy lifestyle. The information already has and it will deepen my understanding of how precious and fragile life is and of how I want to spend the rest of my days relaxing and enjoying things as much as possible (this means: more bass playing :wub: ). Brain health is a topic that interests me, and avoiding stress at work and in life in general is vital for the years (and hopefully, decades) I have left. I will adopt a beach holiday attitude for things - I've decided not to work more than needed or to worry about things I have no power over.

Your approach and positive attitude serves you well.

Yeah, life is precious and indeed fragile...

...it is true when they say everyday is a gift.

We never run out of things to pray for and I will include you in my prayers as well.

• Like 4