What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Re-listening to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I have gone through them all this year as an escape, I love Jim Dale's narration. I am amazed at how different it is from how I remember it. Guess since I only have read it twice before I forgot a lot and the movie version is on the tv all the time so it has clouded my recollection of it.
  • Like 2

The Blues: The Authentic Narrative of My Music and Culture, by Chris Thomas King.

An informative history from the mind of O Brother Where Art Thou's Tommy Johnson.

• Like 1

Trying out a free Kindle month just for this.

9m8BCYt.jpg

We don't have to know or like the bands and the players, but can certainly appreciate what they experienced?

It has been very interesting to read about the whole pandemic interruption for different people in the music business.

Perspective...

I will check it out.

• Like 1

Finished the Deathly Hallows. Decided to re-listen to A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg. It is a sweet story and it makes me happy and sad at the same time, my Mom loved redbirds (cardinals) and she read it the same year I as did. Hard to believe she has been gone 5 years now.

I should finish it tonight so then I am going to listen to A Christmas Carol narrated by Patrick Stewart. It is fantastic as he does all voices just like he did in his one man show in the early 2000's. I bought the cassettes at his show and listen to it every year. Fabulous.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

Re-reading The Teeth Of The Tiger, by Tom Clancy. Contains my all time favorite Clancy quote:

"If you want to kick a tiger in the ass, you better have a plan for dealing with its teeth."

• Like 1

Finished A Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve, also listened to the Santa Land Diaries by David Sedaris so funny.

Started Stargazer by Anne Hillerman, a mystery series set in the Navajo Nation. She is carrying on her father's series and is doing a good job with it.

• Like 4

61cxszHaYeL._AC_UY218_.jpg

From the podcast of the same name.

How is the book?

It's good -- its main strength just lies in the stories of artists working with each other, the connections, the cross-pollinations, the coincidences. I'm not musician enough to really appreciate a lot of the musical theory, but there isn't a whole lot of that, if that's something you'd like. I'd recommend it, and the ebook is cheap enough.

• Like 1

61cxszHaYeL._AC_UY218_.jpg

From the podcast of the same name.

How is the book?

It's good -- its main strength just lies in the stories of artists working with each other, the connections, the cross-pollinations, the coincidences. I'm not musician enough to really appreciate a lot of the musical theory, but there isn't a whole lot of that, if that's something you'd like. I'd recommend it, and the ebook is cheap enough.

Sounds good. I might check out the podcast since stories in audio format are more accessible to me compared to print. I suppose that the basic idea or structure in the podcast episodes and the chapters of the book are quite similar?

Sounds good. I might check out the podcast since stories in audio format are more accessible to me compared to print. I suppose that the basic idea or structure in the podcast episodes and the chapters of the book are quite similar?

Yes, very similar; sometimes I recognize in print the phrasing I remember from the podcast (I have only listened to select episodes, but I'm reading the whole book). Each song/chapter is basically the podcast without the music.

I'm enjoying the podcast, but just as fair warning, Hickey has extreme podcast voice (slow and overarticulated) and his Mancunian accent takes some getting used to!

• Like 1

411aCBeXGhL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Looks interesting, can you offer a brief bit why you like it?

• Like 1

Yes, very similar; sometimes I recognize in print the phrasing I remember from the podcast (I have only listened to select episodes, but I'm reading the whole book). Each song/chapter is basically the podcast without the music.

I'm enjoying the podcast, but just as fair warning, Hickey has extreme podcast voice (slow and overarticulated) and his Mancunian accent takes some getting used to!

Thank you! And as long as it is not ASMR I can take it. :lol:

411aCBeXGhL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Looks interesting, can you offer a brief bit why you like it?

Its like there is more to coincidence than meets the eye. How the Power of coincidence guides your life. If you're having a tough time and feel like you need something to help inspire you that it will all be ok, this book is for you!

• Like 2

Trying out a free Kindle month just for this.

9m8BCYt.jpg

We don't have to know or like the bands and the players, but can certainly appreciate what they experienced?

It has been very interesting to read about the whole pandemic interruption for different people in the music business.

Perspective...

I will check it out.

World In My Eyes is also worth checking out by Richard. I listen to his Magnificent 7 Mondays program every week on Sirius XM 1st Wave/Classic Alternative where he plays the 7 biggest hits of the genre of a year during the week on the British charts. I listed to his Flashback Lunch program a lot on KROQ during my high school lunch breaks and college when I started getting into the new wave, post punk and dark wave music since what they played at the time was toxic Bizkit and their awful butt rock clones. Always love hearing his accent. He even does DJ gigs for 80s parties in SoCal every so often.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

Finished Stargazer, had me guessing between two suspects. Really enjoy the descriptions of the scenery and the Dine tribe's approach to life.

Now listening to the Storyteller by David Grohl. I have not followed the group so this is all new to me. Enjoying his narration, it's been a pleasant surprise.

• Like 1

The Story of Yiddish, Neal Karlen.

As one can imagine, it's interesting, funny, confrontational (Why I oughta - Ah, you have a toothache, good enough!) and well written.

• Like 1

The Story of Yiddish, Neal Karlen.

As one can imagine, it's interesting, funny, confrontational (Why I oughta - Ah, you have a toothache, good enough!) and well written.

Bet Geddy would find it funny too. Share some other quotes if you get the chance.

• Like 1

I don't want to get in trouble with publishing rights and such.

But, Okay. Maybe I could find some more. If it's not too much trouble for you to read? (I'm being in character).

"Still, would it hurt like a hole in the head - one of the hundreds of Yiddish phrases translated and transfused into English since the 1880s - to know that the following sayings come from the mamme-loshn? (mother-tongue).

"Get lost; You should live so long; My son, the physicist; Who needs it? So why do you? All right already; From that he makes a living?"

It is more of a history of Yiddish and Yiddishkeit (a way of life, I think?). The author claims two people of influence on his understanding of Yiddish, a rabbi, Manis Friedman and Lenny Bruce (Leonard Alfred Schneider) the comedian who really did understand and know Yiddish.

Lots of history and scholarly interpretations, it is interesting to read.

One more quote, "As Yiddish journalist Charles Rappaport said over a generation ago: "I speak ten languages, all of them Yiddish".

• Like 2