Rush finally turning into sellouts?

trenken

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 08:15 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 22 2010, 07:12 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 08:07 AM)
- Touring just to get paid, not even supporting an album.

There have been two instances of this in the last decade. On R30, they released a covers album simply because they felt guilty about touring without anything new to support. And they're debuting some new songs on the new tour and getting themselves into playing form, which will hopefully result in a better album next year.

Some people have such a sense of entitlement around here, it's ridiculous. God forbid Rush try to make a living. It's not like they've given us 18 albums over 35 years or anything.

If you want to get technical, they also did an unnecessary 2nd leg in 2008 with no new album as well.

Yeah but that's pretty commonplace these days, most major bands tour two years on an album. Ever since sales declined this decade, people have to pay the bills somehow. I don't begrudge Rush this at all.

I understand that times have changed and people make money from touring instead of albums these days. That sounds like the death of music to me.

So it might be done often, but it was still another tour playing a lot of the same venues, when they could have been spending the time making a new album. There was a time when making new music seemed important to them. Maybe I'm kidding myself and it never was and it was always about making money, but based on the quality of their music, you have to think they cared at least a little.

Now it seems like an afterthought when they get around to an album every five years or so as they know they have to put an album out occasionally to justify tour after tour. Word is they break even on album. What's wrong with that? They can still tour often, release DVD's, make their multi-millions AND give some new music to the fans.

I guess what bothers me is not the desire just to make as much money as possible, more so than just "paying the bills," but the seeming lack of enthusiasm for creating new music. As someone who grew up with them putting out an album every year, and then every year and a half, it sure would be nice if we got an album more often than every five years or so.

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Apr 22 2010, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 22 2010, 10:24 AM)
It's time for an admin to lock this thread.

I second that motion...

I hope not - trenken's entitled to his opinion and expressing it. If he was just a troll, that would be different.

smilies-8579.png

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 22 2010, 10:33 AM)
As someone who grew up with them putting out an album every year, and then every year and a half, it sure would be nice if we got an album more often than every five years or so.

Yeah but that's the same with almost every band that's been out for a long time. Nobody can keep up an album a year pace and still have a successful family / home life can they?

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Apr 22 2010, 08:37 AM)
As someone who grew up with them putting out an album every year, and then every year and a half,  it sure would be nice if we got an album more often than every five years or so.

Yeah but that's the same with almost every band that's been out for a long time. Nobody can keep up an album a year pace and still have a successful family / home life can they?

Maybe every 2 years? 3 years? Maybe put out an album every once in awhile WITHOUT touring just for the sheer joy of being creative and making music? confused13.gif

Obviously it's their choice. I just miss those days when it comes to Rush is all... sad.gif

Well, i can call Metallica sellouts and you should also. Let's see......

Said videos were lame and stupid = did how many ?

What do you call Load and Re-load ?

They cut off all their hair and put on make-up laugh.gif

They sued their f-n "fans" for stealing when if it was not for Tape Trading back in the day, No one would know who the fu*k they are

They charge the "Fans" a fee to get seats to shows before everyone else

Screams sellout to me

just my 2 centz

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 22 2010, 10:45 AM)

Said videos were lame and stupid = did how many ?

They cut off all their hair and put on make-up laugh.gif

They sued their f-n "fans" for stealing when if it was not for Tape Trading back in the day, No one would know who the fu*k they are

Screams sellout to me
just my 2 centz

100% TRUE. goodpost.gif

Not going to close this (yet?), even though it's beyond tiresome.

Here is my official statement:

eyesre4.gif

That is all.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 22 2010, 12:08 PM)
Not going to close this (yet?), even though it's beyond tiresome.

Here is my official statement:

eyesre4.gif

That is all.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Apr 22 2010, 10:59 AM)

Said videos were lame and stupid  = did how many ?

They cut off all their hair and put on make-up  laugh.gif

Screams sellout to me
just my 2 centz

100% TRUE. goodpost.gif

+3. It wasnt until Death Magnetic that they won me back after all the crap you listed.

Sellout is such a strange concept. They make music for themselves and the people. Why is it that if someone has an opportunity to get a song in a film, or to use it for a commercial it is considered a sellout? "my favorite band should still sell tickets for ten bucks because I am a loyal fan" sounds recockulus to me. I have even heard people say that they should get first dibs on the front because they have been fans longer. Recockulus as well. As for Selling Out, I would think that any artist would want to make their music accessible to as many people as possible through any means necessary. It is part of being in the business. It would be silly to think of them saying, "We might not want to lend TS to these guys because it may piss off Stan who fell in love with us when 2112 came out." So Rush charges a lot for tickets. So does everyone else. If they sell tickets, it obviously isn't pissing everyone off. Medical costs, lawyer fees, and college costs have risen. Rush is following suit. Selling out? Sure...every venue. When that stops, so will the ticket hike.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 11:11 AM)

Screams sellout to me
just my 2 centz

100% TRUE. goodpost.gif

+3. It wasnt until Death Magnetic that they won me back after all the crap you listed.

Same here

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Apr 22 2010, 08:15 AM)
Sellout is such a strange concept. They make music for themselves and the people. Why is it that if someone has an opportunity to get a song in a film, or to use it for a commercial it is considered a sellout? "my favorite band should still sell tickets for ten bucks because I am a loyal fan" sounds recockulus to me. I have even heard people say that they should get first dibs on the front because they have been fans longer. Recockulus as well. As for Selling Out, I would think that any artist would want to make their music accessible to as many people as possible through any means necessary. It is part of being in the business. It would be silly to think of them saying, "We might not want to lend TS to these guys because it may piss off Stan who fell in love with us when 2112 came out." So Rush charges a lot for tickets. So does everyone else. If they sell tickets, it obviously isn't pissing everyone off. Medical costs, lawyer fees, and college costs have risen. Rush is following suit. Selling out? Sure...every venue. When that stops, so will the ticket hike.

This is 100% accurate. Also, recockulous is my new favorite word, so thanks for that.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 22 2010, 08:49 AM)
Fans for years clamored for more Rush exposure. Now that they've acquiesced, they're sellouts? wtf.gif

goodpost.gif

This basically sums it up. Rush will always face flack for whatever decisions they make.

First, we wish they would get exposure, then they FINALLY start getting attention from everywhere, and fans think it's too much. They are "selling out".

PK brought it up earlier in the thread, but I remember when Rush allowed Nissan to use 'Tom Sawyer' in one of their commercials, and there was such an uproar in the Rush community.

How about with the songs? We all beg to see some of the real old classics from the catelog, then they get brought out, and we complain that "Geddy cannot hit those high notes anymore", and complain about how they have to tune down the songs.

Just wait, for years everyone has been bashing the RRHOF for not inducting Rush, but when it finally happens, I guarantee that there will be people on here immediately bashing Rush for 'selling out' because they are accepting the induction.

Rush fans never know what they want...for some reason. wacko.gif

They probably feel there aren't many years left for Rush and I think they are simply trying to work as much as possible. As far as complaining they are releasing a DVD of every tour. I only wish I had concert video of every tour staring with the debut album.

I understand that times have changed and people make money from touring instead of albums these days. That sounds like the death of music to me.

I for one dont look at it that way.

I think it shifts the focus on actually working for a living. No more, record an album and let the $$ roll in. I think an album is kind of like a functional entertaining business card. And seeing as how I am not the type of musician who nitpicks and gets all disappointed when a band doesnt play a note for note replica of the album version when playing live, I find that the true experience is the communion of a show. Arguements of frontmen and the philosophy of a show aside, I absorb music better in a live setting. Throughout the history of my involvement in music I have put 100% of my released body of work online for free. Granted I dont make a living off of it, but I have come closer to it by doing that than I would have if I left it all up to the first impression coming right at showtime.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 22 2010, 11:16 AM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 11:11 AM)

Screams sellout to me
just my 2 centz

100% TRUE. goodpost.gif

Same here

Same.

Except for the part about winning me back with Death Magnetic.

Rush finally becomes more proactive about promoting themselves and suddenly they get labelled "sell-outs"?

Not in my world! no.gif

Maybe if it really bothers the original poster, he should check out some esoteric underground bands most of us have never heard of. He could follow one of those; it should make him feel better.

I will say this...

Rush has never forced anyone to put money in their pockets, or follow them religiously when they decide to lend themselves to other projects.

If you hate all the DVD's being released, you don't buy them.

If you can't stand all of the live albums being released, again, you don't buy them.

If concert tickets are too expensive, then you don't attend the shows.

If you hear Rush is on a TV show or movie, and you don't believe in it and think they are "selling out", then you simply don't tune in to watch.

That's the way I see it personally... trink38.gif

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Apr 22 2010, 09:33 AM)

I understand that times have changed and people make money from touring instead of albums these days.  That sounds like the death of music to me.

I for one dont look at it that way.

I think it shifts the focus on actually working for a living. No more, record an album and let the $$ roll in. I think an album is kind of like a functional entertaining business card. And seeing as how I am not the type of musician who nitpicks and gets all disappointed when a band doesnt play a note for note replica of the album version when playing live, I find that the true experience is the communion of a show. Arguements of frontmen and the philosophy of a show aside, I absorb music better in a live setting. Throughout the history of my involvement in music I have put 100% of my released body of work online for free. Granted I dont make a living off of it, but I have come closer to it by doing that than I would have if I left it all up to the first impression coming right at showtime.

It's somewhat of a moot point for me anyway, as well over 95% of the music I listen to is from the 60's and 70's. The "death of music" really came for me a good many years ago. This isn't to say I don't occasionally come across a contemporary group or album or genre I'm enthusiastic about as I do... occasionally.

For me music is all about the album. Concerts are fine, they're a nice experience and they provide a nice memory, but a great album, one that was painstakingly crafted with the highest quality an artist or band could manage at the time is something special and enduring.

Maybe if I was into more contemporary music I'd feel differently as most of the bands I'm into no longer exist, or if they do, they're shadows of their former selves and I have no interest in seeing them live.

Besides, for FAR less than the cost of a concert, you can have a CD to enjoy forever.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 22 2010, 10:01 AM)
I will say this...

Rush has never forced anyone to put money in their pockets, or follow them religiously when they decide to lend themselves to other projects.

If you hate all the DVD's being released, you don't buy them.

If you can't stand all of the live albums being released, again, you don't buy them.

If concert tickets are too expensive, then you don't attend the shows.

If you hear Rush is on a TV show or movie, and you don't believe in it and think they are "selling out", then you simply don't tune in to watch.

That's the way I see it personally... trink38.gif

goodpost.gif

I don't look at them as sellouts. They're simply trying to make some hay while the sun is still shining in the best way possible.

I bitch to holy hell about the ticket prices, but I know that has little to do with them. They're still out touring and trying to make music, so I commend them for not being broken up 36 years into the game. I don't have to like every aspect of everything, but I don't think that's tantamount to them adding up to being a sellout. Whether I can go to a show or love or hate a new album, I'm still glad they're out there doing it still.

And if the alternative to this is to quit, keep selling out then.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 12:12 PM)
Here we go again with another stupid assed Rush bashing thread! Why am I not surprised!

banghead.gif

Well, you know how it trolls..er.......rolls .

It would be so easy to defend Rush on a point by point basis. But the bottom line for me is that my frustration with this attitude has nothing to do specifically with Rush and everything to do with some people being so worried about how much money other people make in general. It's just sick. It's none of our business how much they make, don't go see them or buy their products if you don't want to. If they could somehow charge $5000/ticket and the arenas still filled up, guess what, they wouldn't be charging too much whether you or I could go or not. It's hard not to have this swerve into a political topic so I'll be careful but this obsession with and/or jealousy of some people having more money than others is a real problem.

This puritanical idea that you either have to be about the art or about the money is naive. It's their career and livelihood but that doesn't mean that they put any less effort into what they do or enjoy it any less. I'm a Realtor, I put a huge amount of effort into what I do and I like it better than any other job I've ever had, but I still wouldn't do it unless I got paid enough to make it worth my time. They aren't mutually exclusive. Do you think somehow Rush cared more about the music or the fans in 1975 because they had to personally drive themselves in a small van or car in the middle of the night to the next gig and could barely afford instruments? Don't you think they would rather have had money then if they could have? And I want a live dvd of this coming tour, if they have to "sell out" to give me what I (and many other Rush fans judging by their sales) want then so be it. God, this is so stupid.

It's a borderline miracle that we aren't here in this forum right now talking about how Rush has been a dead band for over 10 years now. Be excited about all the stuff we have to look forward to and don't worry about this petty stuff. smile.gif

Archived