Rush finally turning into sellouts?

trenken

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 22 2010, 12:01 PM)
I will say this...

Rush has never forced anyone to put money in their pockets, or follow them religiously when they decide to lend themselves to other projects.

If you hate all the DVD's being released, you don't buy them.

If you can't stand all of the live albums being released, again, you don't buy them.

If concert tickets are too expensive, then you don't attend the shows.

If you hear Rush is on a TV show or movie, and you don't believe in it and think they are "selling out", then you simply don't tune in to watch.

That's the way I see it personally... trink38.gif

Right, I don't think I ever signed a contract, nor am I on the 'board of directors' for Rush just because I became a fan.

Sure, I bought albums and concert tickets...but does that let me bitch, much less dictate what they should do as a band?

I guess I could bitch, but what leg do I have to stand on...come on.

You're a fan...if you're truly a fan. You have to decide when you're not, take your loss in album and concert investments and move on...... and quit your bitching.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? A thread accusing Rush is being 'sell-outs'... WOW that has NEVER occurred in this medium before... Troll, look - you can simply go listen to some new, terrible, yet unknown indie band if you need to feel 'entitled'...

Rush is a band who do this FOR A LIVING. All I care about is I get new music AND I get to see them live. If the tickets are too expensive for me to go (given that the people down here where I live are so ignorant that Rush cannot play anywhere near where I love and I have to travel to see them) then I will not be able to. I do, however, intend to surprise my (bass playing) daughter with 2 great seats to the Columbus, OH show REGARDLESS of the cost (they are playing there the eve of her birthday)... It is that special to us to see Rush together.

Show me another band that has that effect on its fans (well besides Hannah Montana to the pre-teen crowd... lol).

I've said it before and I will say it again - WHEN DID RUSH BECOME A 501c non-profit organization?

Gimme a break...

Oh - and about the Colbert appearance - BRILLIANCE... Since they waiting all that time and made an exception for my FAVORITE SHOW!!! All of the planets aligned that night!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 22 2010, 06:49 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 22 2010, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 22 2010, 08:44 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 22 2010, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 22 2010, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 09:37 AM)
Man, there are a lot of bitter, cynical people around.

Tell me about it! These threads are really bordering on being pathetic. In fact, they are pathetic.

Every one of you were proud of how they built their careers, on their own terms, not doing all this other sellout crap. Now that they are willing to do anything for money, its no big deal right since its rush? lulz

Please, just stop it. Rush is doing nothing they haven't already done in the past.

You think they're sell-outs? Fine. Don't start another tired unoriginal uninspired high-and-mighty threat about it.

This crap is simply tiresome.

Whatever helps you sleep at night champ. I sure as shit dont remember Rush doing all this when people still cared about them.

This response sums it up.

cough "troll" cough

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 10:22 AM)
It would be so easy to defend Rush on a point by point basis. But the bottom line for me is that my frustration with this attitude has nothing to do specifically with Rush and everything to do with some people being so worried about how much money other people make in general. It's just sick. It's none of our business how much they make, don't go see them or buy their products if you don't want to. If they could somehow charge $5000/ticket and the arenas still filled up, guess what, they wouldn't be charging too much whether you or I could go or not. It's hard not to have this swerve into a political topic so I'll be careful but this obsession with and/or jealousy of some people having more money than others is a real problem.

This puritanical idea that you either have to be about the art or about the money is naive. It's their career and livelihood but that doesn't mean that they put any less effort into what they do or enjoy it any less. I'm a Realtor, I put a huge amount of effort into what I do and I like it better than any other job I've ever had, but I still wouldn't do it unless I got paid enough to make it worth my time. They aren't mutually exclusive. Do you think somehow Rush cared more about the music or the fans in 1975 because they had to personally drive themselves in a small van or car in the middle of the night to the next gig and could barely afford instruments? Don't you think they would rather have had money then if they could have? And I want a live dvd of this coming tour, if they have to "sell out" to give me what I (and many other Rush fans judging by their sales) want then so be it. God, this is so stupid.

It's a borderline miracle that we aren't here in this forum right now talking about how Rush has been a dead band for over 10 years now. Be excited about all the stuff we have to look forward to and don't worry about this petty stuff. smile.gif

What's your point? confused13.gif

j/k tongue.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Apr 22 2010, 10:15 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 22 2010, 08:30 AM)
Not musically, they havent been commercial in decades, but Im just thinking about this right now.

- Obscene ticket prices, feels like a slap in the face to a life long fan.
- Doing talk shows, that one about a year ago where the dude actually mocked them, in a light hearted way of course though.
- In the I Love You Man movie that they not only sold their music to, but were actually in! Kind of embarrassing. I dont think you'll see Metallica doing that anytime soon.
- Selling the right to use their music in the Sopranos, the new Halloween 1 remake, the movie Adventureland, South Park.
- Releasing every show on DVD
- Touring just to get paid, not even supporting an album.

All examples of things they refused to do back in the day. Its very clear to me they are in this solely to make money right now as they get ready to retire. Im fine with that, but I find it funny that these are things they pushed back against when they were young and popular. Now old and near retirement, for enough money you might just be able to get rush to play at your birthday party.

It doesn't sound like you're really fine with that ohmy.gif

Of course Im fine with it, Im not angry about it, they do whatever they want so I have to be fine with that. It's just that ever since ive been a fan, since I was 6, they've always done things on their own terms, no help from anyone else.

Im not saying they sold out musically, and I didnt start this thread to start any fights, but I did expect some people to get hostile about it. Half the people on this site dont want to let you voice your opinions on things, as you can see. Like children they just resort to calling you a troll. Expected. If you say you dont like a certain song you get 50 people telling you your opinions are wrong.

I see people going on and on everyday on this site about the ticket prices, then I started thinking about everything else they're doing now, so much over exposure at this point. In my opinion it sure looks to me like they are selling out, trying to cash in on everything now between the ticket prices, a tour not supporting a new album, TV shows, movies, cartoons, I just feel like they're starting to turn into a joke, right before the end.

Just didnt want to see it end like that, that's all. Just like they've always done, give the finger to the industry, and call it a career. That's sure as hell not what they are doing right now though. Like I said, throw some money at them and you can have rush songs in whatever movie you want, get them to tour, put out dvds, anything.

For the record I actually like I Love You, Man, but I do still think it was a little bit corny that a band this legendary were actually in this middle of the road comedy.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 22 2010, 12:05 PM)
Concerts are fine, they're a nice experience and they provide a nice memory, but a great album, one that was painstakingly crafted with the highest quality an artist or band could manage at the time is something special and enduring.

It is a special thing. Don't get me wrong. It is just so affordable to record nowadays, that it isn't the same as it once was. I like plenty of bands that have recorded fantastic albums in a couple of days. If it takes longer it takes longer...

But the magic and mystery of recording is alot less now.

It is preferable that a band try their hardest when recording so that it does endure. biggrin.gif of course. But it is a much smaller aspect of the whole "band" experience. I think having that album do all the work for you isn't how I view being in a band.

It's all good though. I love recording. I hope recording continues to be enjoyable for bands. cool.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 22 2010, 12:47 PM)
Im not saying they sold out musically, and I didnt start this thread to start any fights, but I did expect some people to get hostile about it. Half the people on this site dont want to let you voice your opinions on things, as you can see. Like children they just resort to calling you a troll. Expected. If you say you dont like a certain song you get 50 people telling you your opinions are wrong.

I see people going on and on everyday on this site about the ticket prices, then I started thinking about everything else they're doing now, so much over exposure at this point. In my opinion it sure looks to me like they are selling out, trying to cash in on everything now between the ticket prices, a tour not supporting a new album, TV shows, movies, cartoons, I just feel like they're starting to turn into a joke, right before the end.

Just didnt want to see it end like that, that's all. Just like they've always done, give the finger to the industry, and call it a career. That's sure as hell not what they are doing right now though. Like I said, throw some money at them and you can have rush songs in whatever movie you want, get them to tour, put out dvds, anything.

For the record I actually like I Love You, Man, but I do still think it was a little bit corny that a band this legendary were actually in this middle of the road comedy.

Well...for the record, I didn't say anything about you being a "troll" or whatnot. You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

As a band though, they SHOULD be trying to cash in on projects that they are able to be a part of. Is that not the purpose of working? Sometimes it's easy to forget, but RUSH is Alex, Neil, and Geddy's JOB. Just like we have our places of employment, RUSH is their employment. If there is no RUSH, they wouldn't be making any money.

Technically, this tour may not be supporting a new album, but it has been well pointed out that they are working on a new one for next year, and it has also been noted that they are debuting some new tunes on this tour, and it has also been explained that this is really just PART 1 of a two-part tour that goes into 2011.

The movie thing was what it was. These guys love to laugh, and they took part in a project that they felt was giving a tribute to them, which it did. They were probably flattered to be asked to do it, and I don't blame them. The movie put them on a global stage, especially to many young people who otherwise, might never have heard of them. Gaining new fans = sellout? I don't think so...isn't the point of being a musician to have many people out there who love you and your music, and respect what you have accomplished? I think so.

The DVD's are a perfect fit for them. They are in many ways, considered a LIVE band. You may complain that there are too many DVD's now...but let's face it, in 20 years, RUSH most likely won't be touring anymore, and it will be nice to have a heafty collection of DVD's stemming through all of these tours to remind us of how great their live performances were.

That's how I see it anyways. trink38.gif

Not musically, they havent been commercial in decades, but Im just thinking about this right now.

- Obscene ticket prices, feels like a slap in the face to a life long fan.
- Doing talk shows, that one about a year ago where the dude actually mocked them, in a light hearted way of course though.
- In the I Love You Man movie that they not only sold their music to, but were actually in! Kind of embarrassing. I dont think you'll see Metallica doing that anytime soon.
- Selling the right to use their music in the Sopranos, the new Halloween 1 remake, the movie Adventureland, South Park.
- Releasing every show on DVD
- Touring just to get paid, not even supporting an album.

All examples of things they refused to do back in the day. Its very clear to me they are in this solely to make money right now as they get ready to retire. Im fine with that, but I find it funny that these are things they pushed back against when they were young and popular. Now old and near retirement, for enough money you might just be able to get rush to play at your birthday party.

Nonsense, you nattering neighbob of negativism.

Good God...the bitchers need to get a life...do you have jobs...do you have anything else to do. Friggin enjoy it for what it is...Rush on Tour. With that title, i'd sign up in a heartbeat. But...NOOOOO...we have to analyze it ad nauseum. Are they gonna play Jacob's ladder...or TCE? Are they gonna play Anthem, or [insert some obscure song out of Geddy's vocal range]. Bottom line is, they're at the point in their career that we should enjoy any live performance by them (if you're a true fan). I know I do, and it's actually pretty depressing to see Rush fans bitch about shortcomings. Their recording and concert record speaks volumes.

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Apr 22 2010, 01:45 PM)
Stay home then.

Amen trink39.gif

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Apr 22 2010, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 22 2010, 12:05 PM)
Concerts are fine, they're a nice experience and they provide a nice memory, but a great album, one that was painstakingly crafted with the highest quality an artist or band could manage at the time is something special and enduring. 

It is a special thing. Don't get me wrong. It is just so affordable to record nowadays, that it isn't the same as it once was. I like plenty of bands that have recorded fantastic albums in a couple of days. If it takes longer it takes longer...

But the magic and mystery of recording is alot less now.

It is preferable that a band try their hardest when recording so that it does endure. biggrin.gif of course. But it is a much smaller aspect of the whole "band" experience. I think having that album do all the work for you isn't how I view being in a band.

Ok, but I'm not in a band. To me a band is their music, and the essence of that is their albums. If you get to see them every once in awhile in concert, yay, cool bonus, but as a music fan, not a musician, I love me my albums. yes.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 22 2010, 11:05 AM)
The DVD's are a perfect fit for them. They are in many ways, considered a LIVE band.

Really???

I never considered them a "live" band in particular. The Grateful Dead were a live band - they had some great studio material and albums, but even they knew where they really shone was live. They played a different set list every night, they jammed between songs and never played the same song twice the exact same way. They so often surpassed the studio versions of their songs when playing them live. Rush rarely accomplish that, other than it's exciting to be seeing them in person.

Rush were always my favorite when I saw a lot of groups live in the 80's, but it wasn't because of their superior showmanship or particularly stellar stage set, but because of their music and talent. That's where NO ONE could touch them.

None of this is to put them down, as they're a great live act to see and they give it their all, but they always have and always will be a studio band for me first and foremost.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 22 2010, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 22 2010, 11:05 AM)
The DVD's are a perfect fit for them. They are in many ways, considered a LIVE band.

Really???

I never considered them a "live" band in particular. The Grateful Dead were a live band - they had some great studio material and albums, but even they knew where they really shone was live. They played a different set list every night, they jammed between songs and never played the same song twice the exact same way. They so often surpassed the studio versions of their songs when playing them live. Rush rarely accomplish that, other than it's exciting to be seeing them in person.

Rush were always my favorite when I saw a lot of groups live in the 80's, but it wasn't because of their superior showmanship or particularly stellar stage set, but because of their music and talent. That's where NO ONE could touch them.

None of this is to put them down, as they're a great live act to see and they give it their all, but they always have and always will be a studio band for me first and foremost.

Right...I don't disagree Goobs.

Rush are certainly a studio band...and the majority of the magic from this band has always occurred in the studio and on their albums.

I'm just saying that in the live setting, Rush thrive on their by not only being great musically, but visually as well. Their shows revolve alot around what happens on stage, on the screens, with lighting and so forth. They are extremely visual, and that's what I meant by the DVD's fitting their style.

Again, I absolutely agree...the more studio albums, the better. But I also can appreciate what their DVD's do for fans, as they are very appealing and remind us how good they are when on stage.

The tickets prices are ridiculous, but that's what the market will bear.

The only time I thought they came close to selling out was on the 2008 tour. They could have made some interesting choices, but instead gave us the 2007 show again with three song changes. That seemed to me to be them going through the motions to make some extra money.

Musically there have been no compromises, which is the most important thing.

Um, if you don't think they were doing it for money in the very beginning then I think you're missing the point.

And they've raised their ticket prices because they can. There's clearly a market for it. I say more power to them.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 22 2010, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (ZivotSon @ Apr 22 2010, 03:08 PM)
Musically there have been no compromises, which is the most important thing.

goodpost.gif

That right there...is an excellent post my friend.

You basically said it all...THAT is the most important thing. yes.gif

+ 2

I think they are enjoying their long career, and have every right to actually smile and look happy for a change. For the longest time, the music world looked at them as uptight dorks who had no sense of humor. Good for them. I'm enjoying this phase of their career.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Apr 22 2010, 05:22 PM)
- Touring just to get paid...

Oh no anything but getting paid... sarcasm.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 22 2010, 05:25 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Apr 22 2010, 05:22 PM)
- Touring just to get paid...

Oh no anything but getting paid... sarcasm.gif

laugh.gif

Your the official chauffeur around here metaldad...take me to the liquor store because, like Kiss said in "Cold Gin"....it's time to leave and get another quart, especially after some of these threads.

trink38.gif

Archived