Rush finally turning into sellouts?

trenken

28 year old member of Rush:

"What? You want to give us money for performing live and touring? You're kidding, right? I'd do this all for free, you know, for the fans. I have a hard enough time charging money for our albums and t-shirts and VHS tapes and stuff! Anyway, we'll make up for it when we're in our fifties. You know, in the future, we'll sell-out and rip off the dedicated fans who are presently volunteering their hard earned money."

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 22 2010, 08:49 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 22 2010, 09:39 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 09:37 AM)
Man, there are a lot of bitter, cynical people around.

Tell me about it! These threads are really bordering on being pathetic. In fact, they are pathetic.

God forbid they want to make some extra money prior to retiring. You know, so they can do things like leave their families with a security blanket, for example.

Fans for years clamored for more Rush exposure. Now that they've acquiesced, they're sellouts? wtf.gif

I know, right?

Damned if they do and damned if they don't. They could perform free concerts in every town in the world and there'd be someone bitching about it. Geez, if you're that bored go and read a book or do something constructive.

The ticket prices are higher, but they spend what like 6 weeks rehearsing the show before the tour?

They spend alot more on the shows than other bands do.

I saw the Who a few years back. They opened in my town, and it sounded like it. Roger actually said "We were just rehearsing this song TODAY in the tour bus". I'm glad the tickets were free.

They wouldn't be charging that much for shows if you guys were not paying for it.

Rush fans are more obsessed, intelligent and well off than most other fans. And Rush knows it. Its not like they jacked the price up overnight.

Personally I'm waiting to see what the setlist is before i buy tickets for this show.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 22 2010, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 22 2010, 08:38 AM)
Um no. 

Does the band need to hide under a rock to avoid that label?

They kind of built their entire careers that way, they did it purposefully. They're singing a much different tune now though. They are no different than any other band now that will do anything for money.

Not exactly how I would have liked to see them end such a great career, by ripping their fans off and selling their music to anyone willing to use it.

First off, from what I understand, the band doesn't set the ticket prices. Can anyone confirm that?

As for the rest of your sellout theory, Rush used to make money by selling records and touring. Selling records doesn't make much money these days so they emphasize touring more. Does that not make sense?

And as long as people are buying the DVDs, why shouldn't they continue to release them? Why not give the fans what they clearly want?

Rush is not a not-for-profit charity. They're not going to start giving everything away because they don't want the bitter cynics thinking they're sellouts. I'll give them the "sellout" label when they start making albums filled with shitty commercial pop music designed solely to get radio airplay (a la Journey, Doobie Bros., Styx, etc.). As long as they don't compromise their music and continue to make new music, they'll never be sellouts.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 22 2010, 08:49 AM)
Fans for years clamored for more Rush exposure.  Now that they've acquiesced, they're sellouts?  wtf.gif

Exactly.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 22 2010, 10:19 AM)
I'll give them the "sellout" label when they start making albums filled with shitty commercial pop music designed solely to get radio airplay (a la Journey, Doobie Bros., Styx, etc.). As long as they don't compromise their music and continue to make new music, they'll never be sellouts.

Exactly!!! Selling-out is compromising your established artistic integrity to sell records. Rush has never done that. And they're not doing that now.

I have my suspicions that this particular thread was started just to see what shitstorm might result. . .

Not discounting the fact that the OP's post history indicates that he is more than a little cynical, and I don't think it quite qualifies as "trolling". But I think he had a pretty good idea of what the responses would be (how could you not?) and just wanted to sit back and enjoy the furor.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 22 2010, 09:27 AM)
I have my suspicions that this particular thread was started just to see what shitstorm might result. . .
Not discounting the fact that the OP's post history indicates that he is more than a little cynical, and I don't think it quite qualifies as "trolling". But I think he had a pretty good idea of what the responses would be (how could you not?) and just wanted to sit back and enjoy the furor.

im jealous i didn't start it. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 22 2010, 10:27 AM)

How noble of him!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 22 2010, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 22 2010, 10:19 AM)
I'll give them the "sellout" label when they start making albums filled with shitty commercial pop music designed solely to get radio airplay (a la Journey, Doobie Bros., Styx, etc.). As long as they don't compromise their music and continue to make new music, they'll never be sellouts.

Exactly!!! Selling-out is compromising your established artistic integrity to sell records. Rush has never done that. And they're not doing that now.

This!!!

This post says it all.

/closethread

^^There's a thread for that in Grand Designs, you know. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 22 2010, 06:30 AM)
- In the I Love You Man movie that they not only sold their music to, but were actually in! Kind of embarrassing. I dont think you'll see Metallica doing that anytime soon.
- Releasing every show on DVD
- Touring just to get paid, not even supporting an album.

in order of appearance:

-If I were in a band for tens of years, and someone asked "hey, wanna be in this movie?" I'd be thinking "I get to be in a successful band AND get to be in a movie in my lifetime? I'm in!"

-As they said on that metal show "you never know when it could be our last", and the more Rush shows we get on DVD the merrier, I'm looking forward to what they'll be releasing this time.

- They touring while making the album so the energy they have while touring can reflect on their music, in the past albums they always did the same old recording process and they're tired of it. They're not touring for the money but trying something new.

Thread is absolutely ridiculous. Trenken is usually a good poster but WTF, man.

- Obscene ticket prices, feels like a slap in the face to a life long fan.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the ticket prices either and I'll probably have to get lawn this tour because of them. I'll give you that. But this is hardly Rush's problem. The entire industry is having ticket prices jacked up. I was thinking about going to Roger Waters' new Wall tour but good seats are $250. And speaking of people who only tour to make money, not support new music...

- Doing talk shows, that one about a year ago where the dude actually mocked them, in a light hearted way of course though.

Oh my god, nothing annoys me more than people who don't get Colbert's schtick. It was a jab at how long some of their songs are, and the band was clearly in on the joke. I wish they had been on talk shows like this their entire career. Maybe more people would have listened to them that way. I fail to see how that would have been a bad thing.

- In the I Love You Man movie that they not only sold their music to, but were actually in! Kind of embarrassing. I dont think you'll see Metallica doing that anytime soon.

So now Metallica is the beacon of integrity for bands? I don't think you'll see Rush suing their own fans for downloading their music anytime soon. I Love You Man was hilarious. This and the Colbert thing fall right in line with Rush's sense of humor and the fact that their entire career they have had the ability to laugh at themselves and not take themselves too seriously. This is a good thing.

- Selling the right to use their music in the Sopranos, the new Halloween 1 remake, the movie Adventureland, South Park.

Good, if it gets more people to hear them, I'm all for it. Besides, didn't they sell "Tom Sawyer" to some car ad 10 years ago? How is this anything new?

And if they didn't, people would be complaining that they can't relive the shows. Which exactly of the last few tours would you have had them not release on DVD?

There have been two instances of this in the last decade. On R30, they released a covers album simply because they felt guilty about touring without anything new to support. And they're debuting some new songs on the new tour and getting themselves into playing form, which will hopefully result in a better album next year.

Some people have such a sense of entitlement around here, it's ridiculous. God forbid Rush try to make a living. It's not like they've given us 18 albums over 35 years or anything.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 08:07 AM)

So now Metallica is the beacon of integrity for bands? I don't think you'll see Rush suing their own fans for downloading their music anytime soon.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt292/i4marci/SNLhighfive.gif

There have been two instances of this in the last decade. On R30, they released a covers album simply because they felt guilty about touring without anything new to support. And they're debuting some new songs on the new tour and getting themselves into playing form, which will hopefully result in a better album next year.

Some people have such a sense of entitlement around here, it's ridiculous. God forbid Rush try to make a living. It's not like they've given us 18 albums over 35 years or anything.

If you want to get technical, they also did an unnecessary 2nd leg in 2008 with no new album as well.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 10:07 AM)
- Doing talk shows, that one about a year ago where the dude actually mocked them, in a light hearted way of course though.

Oh my god, nothing annoys me more than people who don't get Colbert's schtick. It was a jab at how long some of their songs are, and the band was clearly in on the joke. I wish they had been on talk shows like this their entire career. Maybe more people would have listened to them that way. I fail to see how that would have been a bad thing.

I love the fact that Rush doesn't take themselves too serious, and that they actually have a sense of humor.

I thought the Colbert appearance was brilliant!

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 22 2010, 08:30 AM)
Not musically, they havent been commercial in decades, but Im just thinking about this right now.

- Obscene ticket prices, feels like a slap in the face to a life long fan.
- Selling the right to use their music in the Sopranos, the new Halloween 1 remake, the movie Adventureland, South Park.

All examples of things they refused to do back in the day. Its very clear to me they are in this solely to make money right now as they get ready to retire. Im fine with that, but I find it funny that these are things they pushed back against when they were young and popular. Now old and near retirement, for enough money you might just be able to get rush to play at your birthday party.

It doesn't sound like you're really fine with that ohmy.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 22 2010, 07:12 AM)

If you want to get technical, they also did an unnecessary 2nd leg in 2008 with no new album as well.

Yeah but that's pretty commonplace these days, most major bands tour two years on an album. Ever since sales declined this decade, people have to pay the bills somehow. I don't begrudge Rush this at all.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 11:15 AM)

Yeah but that's pretty commonplace these days, most major bands tour two years on an album. Ever since sales declined this decade, people have to pay the bills somehow. I don't begrudge Rush this at all.

I certainly wasn't complaining as I had missed the '07 leg.

I don't question that trenken is a fan. What I do question is why he seems to be so hellbent lately on finding things to complain about. To be fair, he's got plenty of company.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 22 2010, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 11:15 AM)

I certainly wasn't complaining as I had missed the '07 leg.

I don't question that trenken is a fan. What I do question is why he seems to be so hellbent lately on finding things to complain about. To be fair, he's got plenty of company.

Maybe he can't go to this show this time? I know I most likely won't- and don't get me wrong that does suck- but I'm not going to start up a thread saying 'Rush sucks!' or 'Rush is selling out!' either.

I for one hope they do release a Time Machine concert DVD so people like us can watch it later. I'll bet there'll be a LOT more complaining here if Rush doesn't put out that DVD, just you wait and see.

Archived