Rush finally turning into sellouts?

trenken

Not musically, they havent been commercial in decades, but Im just thinking about this right now.

- Obscene ticket prices, feels like a slap in the face to a life long fan.

- Doing talk shows, that one about a year ago where the dude actually mocked them, in a light hearted way of course though.

- In the I Love You Man movie that they not only sold their music to, but were actually in! Kind of embarrassing. I dont think you'll see Metallica doing that anytime soon.

- Selling the right to use their music in the Sopranos, the new Halloween 1 remake, the movie Adventureland, South Park.

- Releasing every show on DVD

- Touring just to get paid, not even supporting an album.

All examples of things they refused to do back in the day. Its very clear to me they are in this solely to make money right now as they get ready to retire. Im fine with that, but I find it funny that these are things they pushed back against when they were young and popular. Now old and near retirement, for enough money you might just be able to get rush to play at your birthday party.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 22 2010, 09:30 AM)
- In the I Love You Man movie that they not only sold their music to, but were actually in! Kind of embarrassing. I dont think you'll see Metallica doing that anytime soon.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 22 2010, 08:34 AM)

That movie was made by close friends of theirs. They didnt get paid for it. Little bit different.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 22 2010, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 22 2010, 08:34 AM)

That movie was made by close friends of theirs. They didnt get paid for it. Little bit different.

Oh, I see. wacko.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 09:37 AM)
Man, there are a lot of bitter, cynical people around.

Tell me about it! These threads are really bordering on being pathetic. In fact, they are pathetic.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 22 2010, 08:39 AM)

Tell me about it! These threads are really bordering on being pathetic. In fact, they are pathetic.

Every one of you were proud of how they built their careers, on their own terms, not doing all this other sellout crap. Now that they are willing to do anything for money, its no big deal right since its rush? lulz

well, performing and selling records is what they do and how they make a living. So if they're in it for the money, then it makes sense to me.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 22 2010, 08:38 AM)
Um no.

Does the band need to hide under a rock to avoid that label?

They kind of built their entire careers that way, they did it purposefully. They're singing a much different tune now though. They are no different than any other band now that will do anything for money.

Not exactly how I would have liked to see them end such a great career, by ripping their fans off and selling their music to anyone willing to use it.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 22 2010, 09:41 AM)

Every one of you were proud of how they built their careers, on their own terms, not doing all this other sellout crap. Now that they are willing to do anything for money, its no big deal right since its rush? lulz

Please, just stop it. Rush is doing nothing they haven't already done in the past.

You think they're sell-outs? Fine. Don't start another tired unoriginal uninspired high-and-mighty threat about it.

This crap is simply tiresome.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 22 2010, 08:44 AM)

Please, just stop it. Rush is doing nothing they haven't already done in the past.

You think they're sell-outs? Fine. Don't start another tired unoriginal uninspired high-and-mighty threat about it.

Whatever helps you sleep at night champ. I sure as shit dont remember Rush doing all this when people still cared about them.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 22 2010, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 22 2010, 08:44 AM)

Whatever helps you sleep at night champ. I sure as shit dont remember Rush doing all this when people still cared about them.

This response sums it up.

Regarding talk shows, I think they've really shot themselves in the foot by not doing more talk shows over the past 20-25 years. They could have gotten a lot more publicity for their albums and music if they were more visible. How is going on a talk show or being interviewed being a sellout? They can still be true to who they are when interviewed.

I Love You, Man, besides being a hilarious movie, was one of the greatest promotional things they could have done outside of having their music on Rock Band. The movie is, among other things, a MAJOR tribute to Rush. It can only help bring new fans in. What's wrong with that? Similarly, licensing their songs to TV shows - I only wish they had done more of that!

Releasing every show on DVD, and the ridiculous amount of live albums is I think a bit excessive, but if people are buying them then obviously they're wanted. The only thing that could bother me about that is if they're spending time on them that could be used to make new studio material.

The ticket prices and the fact that by the end of 2011 they'll have done five tours since 2004 with only 2 albums and 1 EP to show for it, however, is pretty sad and does seem like an obvious cash grab. Still, people are paying for tickets, and Rush always does whatever they want no matter what anyone thinks anyway. Personally, I would have been far happier with more studio albums than tours, but obviously they're not doing things because I want them to! wink.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 22 2010, 09:39 AM)

God forbid they want to make some extra money prior to retiring. You know, so they can do things like leave their families with a security blanket, for example.

Fans for years clamored for more Rush exposure. Now that they've acquiesced, they're sellouts? wtf.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 22 2010, 08:30 AM)
Not musically, they havent been commercial in decades, but Im just thinking about this right now.

- Obscene ticket prices, feels like a slap in the face to a life long fan.
- Doing talk shows, that one about a year ago where the dude actually mocked them, in a light hearted way of course though.
- Selling the right to use their music in the Sopranos, the new Halloween 1 remake, the movie Adventureland, South Park.
- Releasing every show on DVD
- Touring just to get paid, not even supporting an album.

All examples of things they refused to do back in the day. Its very clear to me they are in this solely to make money right now as they get ready to retire. Im fine with that, but I find it funny that these are things they pushed back against when they were young and popular. Now old and near retirement, for enough money you might just be able to get rush to play at your birthday party.

Do your doctors and orderlies know that you are obviously not taking your medication, that you are out of your room and using their computer? rofl3.gif

I think most long-term fans might actually be a little bit happy that they are finally getting a little respect from the mainstream media.

Ticket Prices are not entirely under their control and the type of show they travel with is very expensive to put on. You can also blame Live Nation/Ticketmaster-I hate them too but like it or not they control many of the venues that Rush plays.

Talk Shows? Stephen Colbert is a far cry from Tyra or Ellen. I actually think they would be pretty funny on Ellen or Conan (who is a big fan).

Don't buy the DVDs if you don't want to-how about a 30 year fan in a country they haven't visited in forever and may not ever get to again? Can he buy the video? It's not like the videos are any more expensive than anyone else's. Some people spend tons of money on mind-sucking video games and that's their business too.

I never found their song placement in TV shows to be any sort of sellout-I think they have probably turned down far more requests than they have granted.

I'm happy they are more visible. It's a hell of a lot better than hoping they would get a half page in Circus or Creem that didn't tear them to shreds or staying up until 1 am to watch Don Kirschner or The Midnight Special in the hopes thay might play a crappy video which is all I had when I was in high school.

As far as money-if you don't like what they are doing, don't spend money on it.

There`s no money in making records these days anyway, with all the downloading crap. The money is in touring, and the ticket prices is higher for all band it seems. The music industry is completely changed, CDs are soon dead.

The fact that this thread got past 1 post means MORE ARE COMING!!!!

Sellouts... eyesre4.gif

First of all, I DONT think they're sellouts at all. Sure, I kind of preferred it when Rush was more "underground," less known/accepted by the mainstream, and adored by fanatics like us who got it. So its weird to see them getting all this attention now. But at the same time, its great to see these guys finally get their due for an amazing career, so good for them.

Archived