Grace Under Pressure DVD

cygnus_thegodofbalance

Does anyone like this one? I think it's ok for an occasional watch, but it's not one of my favourites. I think the setlist is way too dark for my liking, and it kind of brings down the mood of the concert. Compare it to ESL where pretty much every song is upbeat and it creates a nice, happy mood atickhum.gif

I look at the 'Grace Under Pressure' DVD as being like the typical one hour news.

The first 55 minutes of it are dark news and the last 5 minutes are upbeat.

The last 5 minutes would be with the 'Finding My Way/In The Mood' medley.

The subject matter that was addressed on the Rush music during that era is what occurred in reality around the world.

I like the sound. It was done in DTS, which is the format that I think should be used for everything. I think it has a killer version of LaVilla on it (it's one of those discs). That whole box set has a DTS mix and it can get very loud and clear (soundwise).

The video on the other hand sucks (very grainey). I don't think a whole lot can be done about it unless they want to go frame by frame and do a restoration like they did the James Bond. I'm sure that is expensive and probobly not worth the effort from a financial standpoint. U2 Under a Blood Red Sky has the same issue. Great sound/ lousy video. (but they did add more songs!)

From where I stand, I'll buy anything that Rush wants to put out on DTS, even if picture quality is not the best.

My 2 cents (well probobly $20 bucks, ha ha)

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Oct 17 2009, 06:37 PM)
To bad it's not the full concert.

yes.gif That's my problem with it also, but i love it anyway

I dont think Grace is as good as ESL, but far better than SOH. I never liked Neils playing on SOH. Just something different about it and the solo bores me to tears on that one. He seems to be going through the motions.

Oh yeah, I like this one a lot!

It's short and the setlist is incomplete from the real show but it's a classic IMO. The mix is awesome too- you can hear everything really clear and it's not like the Rio or R30 mix where the guitar drowns everything else out (Snakes live improves on this).

And you get The Weapon with Neil's crazy stick action all the way through. That's worth the price alone. The Enemy Within too. And Vital Signs. And Count Floyd!

And Alex's Flock of Seagulls hair 1022.gif

I love this show just for the YYZ/2112/TS medley, and the Finding My Way/In The Mood medley. Those are two of my favourite Rush live tracks from any live album. I don't like the rest of the setlist as much, but that first medley is the most badass group of songs ever to be strung together.

sorry for the thread revival.

I picked up the replay x3 box set the other week, and finally got around to watching the GUP disc.

Beside the crappy video quality, the sound is reasonably good.

HOWEVER,

my biggest gripe is with the foot-activated synths levels - man they are rediculously overpowering and drown out alot of the mid-range, particularly the guitar.

Tom Sawyer is a prime example.

Anyone else notice this?

Wouldn't have been a bad show otherwise - good seeing songs like 'The Weapon' and 'The Enemy Within'

Edited by Ranger J

QUOTE (JimboGames @ Oct 19 2009, 10:04 AM)
I like it because it brings back memories of the first Rush tour I attended.

2.gif no.gif I LOVE IT because it brings back memories of the very first Tour I saw of 2.gif

I quite enjoy it. I love the DTS sound track on it. Particularly Witch Hunt for those POWERFUL and fat sounding Moog Taurus pedals during the chorus. Also, Red Sector A gets a good boost from them during the chorus of that tune as well.

QUOTE (Ranger J @ Feb 10 2011, 11:02 PM)
sorry for the thread revival.

I picked up the replay x3 box set the other week, and finally got around to watching the GUP disc.

Beside the crappy video quality, the sound is reasonably good.

HOWEVER,

my biggest gripe is with the foot-activated synths levels - man they are rediculously overpowering and drown out alot of the mid-range, particularly the guitar.

Tom Sawyer is a prime example.

Anyone else notice this?

Wouldn't have been a bad show otherwise - good seeing songs like 'The Weapon' and 'The Enemy Within'

Until Rush In Rio, this was my favorite Rush DVD out of those three.

I suppose part of the reason I love it so much is that I've been enjoying the audio since it was broadcast in 1986.

Unfortunately, when they reissued the CD/DVD they overpowered the sweet mids and low end with the high end.

The original recording does not sound like that. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I think it does sound better.

I like this concert DVD too as it was the first tour I saw Rush at. Also, I like how The Temple Of Syrinx is played at warped speed! Plus I like the encore medley of VS/FMW/ITM. A great set closer!

(Sidetrack: the one thing about the ESL dvd is at the end of the giant medley, you could barely hear the "Attention all planets..." voice. That was the thrilling climax to the medley, but on the dvd it's anti-climatic because you don't hear it!)

Edited by Cygnals

I've been watching the 'Grace' DVD a lot more lately, and found a new appreciation for 'Enemy', 'Weapon', 'DEW' and this version of 'RSA' has always been my fave.

The audio is clear as a bell; the video has never been an issue.

I'm hopeful that the full concert footage exists; I believe I read that a company called Fogo Labs may have the material.

I love the set for the GUP tour. The cons for the GUP tour DVD, for me:

• shot on videotape, so quality isn't as good as it could be
  • not the full concert
  • the sound on the DVD is uber-compressed and they added an auto-tune effect to Geddy's vocals for the DVD release

Other than that, it's an enjoyable concert video.

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Feb 12 2011, 03:51 PM)
It's cool to look back at yesterdays but , the whole setlist ?? that was the worst set by far.

Red Lenses as an encore  062802puke_prv.gif

But it's not on the DVD.

I think this it's good, especially when all parts of fear were played, but I still prefer ASOH.