Grace Under Pressure DVD

cygnus_thegodofbalance

Last night I actually decided to check out Replay x3 for the first time since I bought it. I popped in ESL and much to my horror, the audio sounded horrible! It was LOUD, compressed and distorted! Totally has the VT wall of sound syndrome. Then I saw on the box "remastered by Alex Lifeson". Oh no, I love the guy but this has been his MO as far as production. Then I popped in ASOH, and same thing. Sounds awful. Didn't even bother with GUP. I'm surprised I havent heard more bitching about this. I think it's a disaster and I'm heartbroken i sold all my laserdiscs. They sounded awesome.

Anyone else hearing what I'm hearing?

My only beefs with that disc is the fact that it's not the whole show! Missing some great songs from that concert....and on top of that, they auto-tuned geedy on the DVD! angry.gif

QUOTE (hammerofthor @ Jun 25 2011, 12:48 PM)
Whoever is responsible for the snare sound on the ESL DVD should be shot.

Someone here already mentioned that the 5.1 mix was done by Alex with the help of another guy. It's funny that most of us here hate the sound of the DVDs while he thinks it's some of the best live mixes he's ever heard.

There's some people who also complain about Rush's current engineer Richard Chycki, and how much his mixes are also loud, clipped and distorted. Rush should REALLY bring back someone like Kevin Shirley who mixed the Counterparts album and is currently Iron Maiden's producer/engineer. Or even better, sack Chycki for Steven Wilson, someone who REALLY knows how to mix albums correctly.

There are good reasons not to be that crazy about GUP's concert vid, but I'll always have a soft spot for it, because I found the VHS in a discount video store right when I was getting into Rush at first (had "The Big Money" video on there and everything!) and so it was one of the early staples of my Rush diet.

Can't beat Count Floyd introducing "The Weapon," really. smile.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Oct 17 2009, 03:06 PM)
Does anyone like this one? I think it's ok for an occasional watch, but it's not one of my favourites. I think the setlist is way too dark for my liking, and it kind of brings down the mood of the concert. Compare it to ESL where pretty much every song is upbeat and it creates a nice, happy mood atickhum.gif

I don't an UPBEAT concert for it to be of worth. It's one of my favorite DVD's maybe due to the fact that tour was from my FIRST 2.gif concert of now 46.

I loved it maybe even more than ESL because I experienced that concert a couple times over.

I know that the entire GUP footage exists, as for the full concert films for ESL and ASOH, it might be lost forever or still untouched in an unknown video vault somewhere....

I think FogoLabs, the guys who were responsible for restoring the picture for the DVDs said that they couldn't find the full ASOH and ESL footage and that they even tried pinning down the guys who filmed it.

I love it as this was my first time "seeing" Rush live. I was too young to go to a real concert, so this had to do until HYF and I was of age. I got the VHS from a local video store on clearance and wore it out for years.

Has anyone ever noticed the Neil look alike in the crowd at the start of TSoR rocking out?

He was a few years behind in looks, but he is a dead ringer for the MP album photo.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 25 2011, 11:12 AM)
Last night I actually decided to check out Replay x3 for the first time since I bought it. I popped in ESL and much to my horror, the audio sounded horrible! It was LOUD, compressed and distorted! Totally has the VT wall of sound syndrome. Then I saw on the box "remastered by Alex Lifeson". Oh no, I love the guy but this has been his MO as far as production. Then I popped in ASOH, and same thing. Sounds awful. Didn't even bother with GUP. I'm surprised I havent heard more bitching about this. I think it's a disaster and I'm heartbroken i sold all my laserdiscs. They sounded awesome.

Anyone else hearing what I'm hearing?

Totally.

Especially in regards to A Show of Hands. I got into Rush in the early 90s, and playing A Show of Hands to death had a huge hand in doing it. I hate what they did to the sound on the DVD release. Alex's guitar in particular sounds too noisy and distorted at times, and other times, it is almost like it is drowned out to where you can't hear it. One glaring example is how you can barely hear his guitar fills in between the vocal lines of the first verse of Turn the Page.

I hope they one day rerelease them all with the sound the way it was on the original releases, but I won't hold my breath.

I like the Replay Box very much - BUT - please release the stuff with the FULL shows and let Steven Wilson work on the audio mixes.

I watched the Grace Under Pressure again yesterday...I was almost blinded by the glare from Alex's jacket

I suspect Replay x 3 is all were are going to get unless some new and magical technology is invented and you can just plug the music into your head (imagine the remixes). In the meantime we will all get older, our eyesight will dim and our hearing will start to go. At that time everything will become awesome. old.gif Edited by drbirdsong

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Oct 17 2009, 03:51 PM)
My biggest beef with it is it was shot on videotape which doesnt look great, unlike ESL and ASOH which were shot on film.

I agree. It looks terrible, way too bright. Prefer ESL by a mile

This is a tough one for me. I loved the concert when it first came out but was upset to see that they took stuff out. There are no live documents of some of those songs, which I would have loved to see/hear. Body Electric, Afterimage, Kid Gloves, Red Lenses...with bass solo break! Even Subdivisions and Red Barchetta would have been great from that era. Red Sector A...of course they left that one on there.

On my way home from work on Friday I rode my bicycle home in the rain. The only thing that made my 24 mile ride fun was listening the GUP concert twice in my hour and half ride. It took me away from the misery of a very wet ride.

How you guys doing out there anyway? I wish I could have put Red Sector A on repeat....not just another red song. 2.gif

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jun 30 2011, 07:13 AM)
I watched the Grace Under Pressure again yesterday...I was almost blinded by the glare from Alex's jacket

Yes, this is the thing that bugs me the most. It's called "blooming" and it's not just Alex's jacket: Neil is wearing a white shirt and after Geddy takes his jacket off, so is he. This tells me that the film crew didn't have their cameras properly white-balanced. I can't figure out how on earth that could happen with supposed professionals confused13.gif

As for the sound... it's fine for me. Could be better, yes, but the sound is as much a product of its time as much as Alex's weird pants are laugh.gif

Love Alex's pants. Classic ZUBA!!!!