• Hold You Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Feedback
    • Snakes & Arrows

I forgot about GUP. I suppose that is pretty dark. Also, apparently the band almost broke up after it's release. I don't know all the details though. I think they were just starting to get burned out at that point and it was reflected in the music. I would say the lyrics to some of the songs on there are dark but not all.

It's gotta be Grace Under Pressure for sure. It was right in the middle of the synth era and the lyrics and music are a product of the time. Signals is dark but not as dark, Power Windows definitely has a warmer, brighter sound, etc.

Besides Losing It which I think is more sad than dark, what on Signals is dark? The Weapon maybe?

Signals to me has this certain sonic quality which would be like how a movie like Salem's Lot looks. Grainy and cool.

It's gotta be Grace Under Pressure for sure. It was right in the middle of the synth era and the lyrics and music are a product of the time. Signals is dark but not as dark, Power Windows definitely has a warmer, brighter sound, etc.

Besides Losing It which I think is more sad than dark, what on Signals is dark? The Weapon maybe?

I think it's the overall production of Signals that makes it dark for me anyway. Subdivisions is clearly dark. Also The Analog Kid and Chemistry sound kinda dark in spots.

I forgot about GUP. I suppose that is pretty dark. Also, apparently the band almost broke up after it's release. I don't know all the details though. I think they were just starting to get burned out at that point and it was reflected in the music. I would say the lyrics to some of the songs on there are dark but not all.

They almost broke up after the HYF tour because they were burned out and Alex and Geddy were sick for most of the tour and also they weren't sure where to go musically after that one. Hence the more back-to-basics reset of Presto after a long (for them) break.

2112?

2112: space-revolt! hero dies :( bummer

Bangkok: drugs n' stuff :no: :tsk:

Twilight Zone: creepy crap :scared:

Lessons: schizophrenic :tempted:

Tears: sadpants fists%20crying.gif

Something for Nothing: harangue :blah:

Not a lot of sunshine here. Great album, but dark. Darker than Vapor Trails, which had a very dark history but also had more than a few hopeful lyrical (and musical) moments.

Grace Under Pressure has that goddamn Red Lenses which erases any established mood and poops all over it - some rogue poop even finding its way into the listener's ear-canals.

http://englishharmony.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/english-listening-big-ear.jpg

"What? Why?"

Man, some people's idea of dark is really tame. Subdivisions? Really? None of you have ever heard The Wall from Pink Floyd before? Have a listen to Dirt from Alice In Chains and then tell us what dark is.

Sorry, but Rush isn't that dark. They've dabbed into on occasion but nothing too deep.

• Like 3

None

Gratefully, rush isn't that type of band. Too many fans were saved from the brink of despair by their music for them to be one of those bands.

There's nothing wrong with being one of those bands. A lot of dark music has really been there for me when I needed it.

But yeah, Rush never presented anything in a dark manner.

Paradise Lost give me more joy and a sense of understanding than any "happy" band ever could.

Grace Under Pressure is dark for a Rush album...but its Britney Spears light compared to, say, Alice In Chains "Dirt" or Nine Inch Nails "The Downward Spiral".

Rush have never crafted a dark and moody song very successfully. Closest to my mind is probably a toss up between Witch Hunt and Red Sector A.

You know, I haven't listened to Caress of Steel in years. I wouldn't call it dark, it's more like murky.

Grace Under Pressure covers some dark subjects lyrically, but I find the music to be uplifting. I think that's the point.

Rush is not dark and I am glad they are not dark. In a way, Rush's music makes me want to straighten up and walk tall.

• Like 5

You know, I haven't listened to Caress of Steel in years. I wouldn't call it dark, it's more like murky.

Grace Under Pressure covers some dark subjects lyrically, but I find the music to be uplifting. I think that's the point.

Rush is not dark and I am glad they are not dark. In a way, Rush's music makes me want to straighten up and walk tall.

Exactly! Like Lorraine said, this isn't the band we want "darkness" from.

To me, many mistake "darkness" for "serious".

Man, some people's idea of dark is really tame. Subdivisions? Really? None of you have ever heard The Wall from Pink Floyd before? Have a listen to Dirt from Alice In Chains and then tell us what dark is.

Sorry, but Rush isn't that dark. They've dabbed into on occasion but nothing too deep.

Calm down, the question is what is the darkest Rush album, not is Rush a dark band that plays dark songs. Plenty of people have heard The Wall, Alice In Chains, and are aware of what dark music sounds like, doesn't mean Rush doesn't have their darker and moody moments. Subdivisions is dark for a Rush song, listen to those synths that really set an uneasy mood.

Calm down, the question is what is the darkest Rush album, not is Rush a dark band that plays dark songs. Plenty of people have heard The Wall, Alice In Chains, and are aware of what dark music sounds like, doesn't mean Rush doesn't have their darker and moody moments. Subdivisions is dark for a Rush song, listen to those synths that really set an uneasy mood.

I always found the synths to be upbeat in that song. I get the furthest thing from dark hearing Subdivisions.

Different ears hear different things I suppose.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Dirt I think is the darkest album I've ever listened to. When I was a kid and was reading Bridge To Terribithia and the girl died, my day went from splendiferous to morose, and it was just a book. Dirt is one of the few things I've found that can change my mood to sour and depressed so quickly and so effectively. I bought the album for Rooster, only to discover that's the only shred of hope on the whole record. Somewhere in the midst of it's second half, I get this powerful urge to just shut it off and remember I'm not the one losing his life to drug dependency.

So yeah, comparatively, GuP is kinda nothing, but in the Rush cannon I'd say it's their darkest work.

I always found the synths to be upbeat in that song. I get the furthest thing from dark hearing Subdivisions.

Different ears hear different things I suppose.

The lyrics are a dark indictment of life in the suburbs.

GUP is probably their darkest.The lyrics for sure.Many have criticised the music for being cold with synths aplenty,electronic drums and Alex changing to single coil Fender guitars giving a wiry sound with plenty of reverb and delay.His solos are imho are some of his best.They have a lonely distant feel particularly on Afterimage,Red Sector A and Between the Wheels.Even the cover painting with it's greys and blue washes and that lovely/awful b/w photo of the band with their leather jackets and new wave haircuts adds to the bleakness.I love the album and play it regularly to this day.My best mate gave up on the band after this album saying they lost their heaviness and had gone all poncy and new wave. He says it leaves him cold.

Caress of Steel is dark but in as mentioned in a murky way. The cover is certainly dark.I am starting to go bald and I find that really dark.

Lyrically it's definitely P/G. But despite the very dark lyrics, it doesn't sound particularly dark musically.

Though one could argue that the contrast between the dark lyrics and not particularly dark sounding music actually makes it more dark, in an ironic way.

If so, I am skeptical that it was intentional; I think Neil was in a darker frame of mind writing the lyrics than Alex and Ged in writing the music; the latter seemed more motivated by exploring Police like sonic spaces than anything else. At the time Alex said that they were very much inspired/influenced by The Police and were intent on exploring that sort of sonic terrain.

• Like 1

Dirt I think is the darkest album I've ever listened to. When I was a kid and was reading Bridge To Terribithia and the girl died, my day went from splendiferous to morose, and it was just a book. Dirt is one of the few things I've found that can change my mood to sour and depressed so quickly and so effectively. I bought the album for Rooster, only to discover that's the only shred of hope on the whole record. Somewhere in the midst of it's second half, I get this powerful urge to just shut it off and remember I'm not the one losing his life to drug dependency.

So yeah, comparatively, GuP is kinda nothing, but in the Rush cannon I'd say it's their darkest work.

By dark, what do you mean exactly?

Because if Dirt is the darkest thing you've listened to then whooohboy

Easily among the darkest things ever recorded

Edited by Nate2112

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuS_6Ca5vZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuS_6Ca5vZQ

Man, today I took a listen to this song and I couldn't understand one single word. Then I found lyrics on some webpage and my ears couldn't connect at all what I'm hearing with words I'm reading.

For example lyrics of this song go: "The prison of mirrors... we can't see

Yet trapped we are... by its reflection".

But I couldn't hear one single word.

BTW this is also a very good example of DARK song.