The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 6 2011, 02:18 AM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jul 5 2011, 07:50 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOOaEGHNi78

Watch at your own risk.

Oh man.

3:40 to 4:05 and 4:48 to 4:53.

Just awful.

Not good at all. And Squire is still sticking to his diet of one whole seal a day.

Expect a Mr. Creosote type onstage explosion anyday....

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jul 10 2011, 03:25 PM)
God bless Rush for being so....NORMAL. Seriously, the Yes guys have created some amazing music but they just cannot seem to put their bullshit aside and just be happy and create music and play.

I will be buying the album on Tuesday when it comes out. I am excited! I really hope there is at least something redeeming on it. I really liked Magnification and The Ladder, so if this at least brings me as much enjoyment as them, then it'll be a success in my eyes.

Yep.

The seemingly endless sideshows and spats are very frustrating when you consider what they've achieved over the years.

I'll play Fly From Here for the first time tomorrow, hopefully it'll give me my Yesmojo back.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jul 9 2011, 04:46 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 9 2011, 03:40 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/embed/bPb3ZG48f80

The most disappointing part of this is that the other members didn't even keep in touch when Jon was at death's door.

It's amazing and very sad the lack of respect and empathy shown for someone the guys shared so much history and achievement with. This just proves that Jon is the heart and soul of Yes and you can't easily replace that.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 10 2011, 02:30 PM)
In at number 30 in the UK album chart. I'm impressed. The Ladder peaked at 36 and I don't think Magnification troubled the top 75. Fair dues.

Aren't the numbers really just positioning based upon how many 'units' were ordered in the first place?

Or are the numbers actual SALES?

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 10 2011, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 10 2011, 02:30 PM)
In at number 30 in the UK album chart. I'm impressed. The Ladder peaked at 36 and I don't think Magnification troubled the top 75. Fair dues.

Aren't the numbers really just positioning based upon how many 'units' were ordered in the first place?

Or are the numbers actual SALES?

I can't believe these sales were post-release, they must have been orders. The album stinks.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jul 11 2011, 04:26 AM)
I love Yes, and like Drama (the other Jon Anderson-less Yes album) a lot, but this new album is not good. Not good at all.

First listen over.....kinda makes me long for Union......and that can't be a good thing.

It's Drama-lite. And I find David's voice rather irritating, which is quite ironic.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 11 2011, 10:57 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Jul 11 2011, 04:26 AM)
I love Yes, and like Drama (the other Jon Anderson-less Yes album) a lot, but this new album is not good.  Not good at all.

First listen over.....kinda makes me long for Union......and that can't be a good thing.

It's Drama-lite. And I find David's voice rather irritating, which is quite ironic.

OK. Three listens in. Youtubekaraoke singer aside, it's fine. The playing is good, even old "Lumpy" White sounds OK, but the material is poor. Bland, inoffensive.

I know the three bands I'm going to mention next are a squllion miles away from Yes, but, as elder statesmen of all things rock, they all went back to what they were great at doing and released three fine albums this year, namely Quo, Whitesnake & Saxon.

Yes revisited an average album and released a new average album. Ho hum.

The vinyl looks lovely though.

Does anyone know if it is true that Steve Walsh auditioned for Yes after Jon Anderson left before Drama? I remember reading it somewhere online and I wasn't sure it was true. Even though he doesn't really sound like Anderson, they could have made a great album. I like Drama but it would have been interesting to see what Walsh would have brought to the band.

Let me start by saying , i like the new album . Is it Relayer ? laugh.gif God no , it's not even Drama . I have seen the band a few times since my first time which was the Drama tour in 1980 . This was by far the Worst show i have ever seen them do. Rule number 1 when you go on tour? Rehearse , i don't think they did. Howe looked very pissed more than once . David would forget he was supposed to sing and Run up to the mike . How do you Fu*k up playing a tambourine ? He did. How many times has Mr. White played these f-n songs ? You would never know it . Squire ,aka the Fish ,now the Whale was great as always . Nobody can move those sausage fingers like he can . He sang great also. My only problem with him is he has to stop the stage moves he did in the 70's . A 400lb man in his late 60's should not be kicking his leg and resting his foot on his knee while wearing tight pants and a house coat. David looks and dances like he just jumped out of a Wham video . I have always said i don't mind David and that if Jon is not coming back , it's better than nothing, I WAS WRONG. I really don't think they care anymore and if you go see this show, you will see it also. I also want to say that Styx kicked their ass, really. Yes should save some face and open the show because they can not follow Styx. If you told me 3 years ago Styx would destroy Yes on tour i would have laughed . The fat bass player has sung, it's over. Very sad . Styx also had more fans last night with over half the crowd leaving 10 min into Yes

r.i.p Yes rose.gif

Edited by metaldad

Yes has always shown surprising resiliency, even against seemingly insurmountable odds (1980: "...wait, there's a decent 'new' Yes album without Anderson or Wakeman on it? impossible!")

the age of the guys today, and the 'way' this recent incarnation has been arrived at, however...

I don't know if there's enough phoenix feathers in the ash pile for one more go after they inevitably implode again

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 13 2011, 12:37 PM)
Let me start by saying , i like the new album . Is it Relayer ? laugh.gif God no , it's not even Drama . I have seen the band a few times since my first time which was the Drama tour in 1980 . This was by far the Worst show i have ever seen them do. Rule number 1 when you go on tour? Rehearse , i don't think they did. Howe looked very pissed more than once . David would forget he was supposed to sing and Run up to the mike . How do you Fu*k up playing a tambourine ? He did. How many times has Mr. White played these f-n songs ? You would never know it . Squire ,aka the Fish ,now the Whale was great as always . Nobody can move those sausage fingers like he can . He sang great also. My only problem with him is he has to stop the stage moves he did in the 70's . A 400lb man in his late 60's should not be kicking his leg and resting his foot on his knee while wearing tight pants and a house coat. David looks and dances like he just jumped out of a Wham video . I have always said i don't mind David and that if Jon is not coming back , it's better than nothing, I WAS WRONG. I really don't think they care anymore and if you go see this show, you will see it also. I also want to say that Styx kicked their ass, really. Yes should save some face and open the show because they can not follow Styx. If you told me 3 years ago Styx would destroy Yes on tour i would have laughed . The fat bass player has sung, it's over. Very sad . Styx also had more fans last night with over half the crowd leaving 10 min into Yes
r.i.p Yes rose.gif

Tight pants and a house coat.

rofl3.gif

somehow I can imagine the audience laughing at the absurdity instead of cheering the band.

Carrie's mother "they're all gonna laugh at you!"

Has anyone checked out the new (yet another) live album? "In the Present : Live from Lyon" ?

It was from the first tour with Benoit David, so recorded before the new album was written... Ive picked it up, but have not listened to it

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 1 2011, 12:49 AM)
Has anyone checked out the new (yet another) live album? "In the Present : Live from Lyon" ?

It was from the first tour with Benoit David, so recorded before the new album was written... Ive picked it up, but have not listened to it

It will be the first Yes album I'll not be purchasing. Feels kinda weird actually. But they can f*ck right off. They've had enough of my money. I'm not paying for Youtube singers wages or Squires dresses anymore.

That being said, Owl, I hope you like it!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Nov 30 2011, 04:49 PM)

I won't even pirate this one.

They want us to share their Yes (official) page on our facebook walls. Some stupid contest you can enter if you want one of three free copies, just boost up their publicity a bit.

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jul 13 2011, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 13 2011, 12:37 PM)
Let me start by saying , i like the new album . Is it Relayer ?  laugh.gif God no , it's not even Drama . I have seen the band a few times since my first time which was the Drama tour in 1980 . This was by far the Worst show i have ever seen them do.  Rule number 1 when you go on tour? Rehearse , i don't think they did. Howe looked very pissed  more than once . David would forget he was supposed to sing and Run up to the mike . How do you Fu*k up playing a tambourine ? He did. How many times has Mr. White played these f-n songs ? You would never know it . Squire ,aka the Fish ,now the Whale was great as always . Nobody can move those sausage fingers like he can . He sang great also. My only problem with him is he has to stop the stage moves he did in the 70's . A 400lb man in his late 60's should not be kicking his leg and resting his foot on his knee while wearing tight pants and a house coat. David looks and dances like he just jumped out of a Wham video .  I have always said i don't mind David and that if Jon is not coming back , it's better than nothing, I WAS WRONG. I really don't think they care anymore and if you go see this show, you will see it also. I also want to say that Styx kicked their ass, really. Yes should save some face and open the show because they can not follow Styx. If you told me 3 years ago Styx would destroy Yes on tour i would have laughed . The fat bass player has sung, it's over. Very sad . Styx also had more fans last night with over half the crowd leaving 10 min into Yes
r.i.p Yes rose.gif

Tight pants and a house coat.

rofl3.gif

wow i totally missed this review, but I was there and every word is the truth. it was an embarrassment. sad.gif

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Dec 4 2011, 01:01 PM)
listening to to the new live album on spotify
it's pretty shit
but corkscrew is great, of course.

I'm not a huge Yes fan, so I'm not coming at this with a ton of experience with the band. But I've heard all the standards, and own a couple of things.

I listened to three songs off the new live album on Spotify and that was waaaay more than enough for me. The musicianship was not very good, the songs I'm familiar with didn't sound right (slower) and the vocals - the backing vocals especially - weren't good at all.