The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

My running tunes on the iPod of late has been Yes on shuffle. So much of their back catalogue still gives me the shivers after 25 years of listening, Perpetual Change, Heart of The Sunrise, AYAI, CTTE, I could go on....

This soap opera demeans their legacy.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 7 2012, 10:51 AM)
My running tunes on the iPod of late has been Yes on shuffle. So much of their back catalogue still gives me the shivers after 25 years of listening, Perpetual Change, Heart of The Sunrise, AYAI, CTTE, I could go on....

yes.gif Especially live versions of Perpetual Change from ~1972. Very awesome and powerful, with a Bruford solo to boot!

Unfortunately, yes it does.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 7 2012, 10:51 AM)

The legacy took a shit when they took You- Tube boy over Jon

QUOTE (The Owl @ Feb 7 2012, 08:21 PM)
I unlike most did not mind Benoit David, and on some levels enjoyed him, but for f**k's sake, don't go with another 3rd guy as vocalist... Jon Anderson or just hang it up.

Yes, I agree.

QUOTE (adace1 @ Feb 7 2012, 08:07 PM)
Hope they put out a new album soon. Fly From Here was awesome.

goodpost.gif Too bad Benoit David didn't get a full album in as a song-writer. I would have liked to see his influence.

In other news....

Anyone else going to see Jon Anderson this spring?

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Feb 7 2012, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Feb 7 2012, 08:21 PM)
I unlike most did not mind Benoit David, and on some levels enjoyed him, but for f**k's sake, don't go with another 3rd guy as vocalist... Jon Anderson or just hang it up.

Yes, I agree.

Me too. learn when to call it a day already. By the way, I just watched the prog episode of Metal Evolution and Chris Squire looked like shit!

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 7 2012, 07:53 PM)
http://www.noise11.com/news/exclusive-yes-...singer-20120208
Benoit David is no longer a member and won't be returning. I'm glad to see that Squire is open to working with Anderson again. Maybe this is wishful thinking but I have a feeling that Anderson will rejoin for a final farewell tour.

If you read between the lines in that interview it seems that Yes are just trying to finish the Fly From Here tour and then the door will be open for Jon Anderson to return. If they are realistic they will understand that they have maybe one chance to make a last good Yes album and tour to put a cap on an amazing career. I always thought it might be interesting to see a tour with a core group Anderson-Howe-Squire-Wakeman-White with special guests from each era. It's a fantasy, but Yes music invites one to dream.

What sucks is that if Jon comes back you won't hear any Drama songs . I wish that little troll would suck it up and do them biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 8 2012, 12:03 AM)

goodpost.gif Too bad Benoit David didn't get a full album in as a song-writer. I would have liked to see his influence.

In other news....

I might see him next month. I saw him in 2010 and it was a great show. He played Yes songs, solo stuff, stuff that he did with Vangelis and new songs as well. He also told funny stories between songs and talked a lot with the audience. Just him, a guitar, a keyboard and a ukelele was better than the Yes show I saw this past summer.

As for Benoit, he said in an interview that he can't play any instruments so naturally he can't write music.

I am actually familiar with the guy that they've replaced Benoit David with... the guy's name is Jon Davidson, he was/is the vocalist for another Prog band I like.. "Glass Hammer"

Like BD, he has a very Jon Anderson flair to his voice and vocal style..... he is a good singer, but I don't want another Anderson sound alike....

But do check out "Glass Hammer" though... (though avoid the "Three Cheers for the Broken Hearted" album... huge POS)

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 8 2012, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 8 2012, 12:03 AM)

In other news....

I might see him next month. I saw him in 2010 and it was a great show. He played Yes songs, solo stuff, stuff that he did with Vangelis and new songs as well. He also told funny stories between songs and talked a lot with the audience. Just him, a guitar, a keyboard and a ukelele was better than the Yes show I saw this past summer.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

^That's pretty disappointing. Seriously, why are they doing this? They'd make more money if Jon came back in. Do they hate him that much?

Btw, I actually think Benoit David and Jon Davison are quite good singers. I really like Fly From Here too. But I think it's time they stop leaving Jon Anderson out to dry and give the fans what they really want.

Edited by adace1

QUOTE (adace1 @ Feb 9 2012, 12:02 AM)
^That's pretty disappointing. Seriously, why are they doing this? They'd make more money if Jon came back in. Do they hate him that much?

Btw, I actually think Benoit David and Jon Davison are quite good singers. I really like Fly From Here too. But I think it's time they stop leaving Jon Anderson out to dry and give the fans what they really want.

I agree. Fly From Here was very good but Benoit struggles live. Plus, a lot of the album was sung by Trevor Horn.

They're probably reluctant to let Jon back because they'd have to pay him more, while they can pay a tribute band singer a lot less.