The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

Dear Mr. David,

Now that you're at home twiddling your thumbs, please find enclosed an almost new copy of the Rush album "Vapor Trails". You may not be aware of this, but I'm not overly fond of this sonic platter.

I still wish you no ill, although you may eventually think I do.

Yours In Prog and general hippyness,

Goober.

(1000th post! Get in.)

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 19 2012, 03:25 AM)
Dear Mr. David,

Now that you're at home twiddling your thumbs, please find enclosed an almost new copy of the Rush album "Vapor Trails". You may not be aware of this, but I'm not overly fond of this sonic platter.

I still wish you no ill, although you may eventually think I do.

Yours In Prog and general hippyness,

Goober.

(1000th post! Get in.)

doh.gif

laugh.gif

Dear Mr. David

I was my great misfortune that i had to witness one of the Worst live experiences of my life with You and Yes in the summer of 2011 . Once a Class act and Classic band , You and your band of Rag-Tag Misfits were Blown off the stage by Styx , something that never would have happened in the 70's or 80's or 90's , Fu*k even 2003. You danced around like Peter Pan on Crack and even managed to Fu*k up playing the Tambourine. You Twit . Good luck selling your Solo music rofl3.gif If Yes continues to carry on this Farce maybe Chris can re-hire you as his personal chef, you think singing in Yes was hard ?

Love

Metaldad

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 22 2012, 01:16 PM)
Dear Mr. David

I was my great misfortune that i had to witness one of the Worst live experiences of my life with You and Yes in the summer of 2011 . Once a Class act and Classic band , You and your band of Rag-Tag Misfits were Blown off the stage by Styx , something that never would have happened in the 70's or 80's or 90's , Fu*k even 2003. You danced around like Peter Pan on Crack and even managed to Fu*k up playing the Tambourine. You Twit . Good luck selling your Solo music rofl3.gif If Yes continues to carry on this Farce maybe Chris can re-hire you as his personal chef, you think singing in Yes was hard ?

Love
Metaldad

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif

I liked what Geddy said in the most recent Heavy Metal documentaries on Vh-1 Classic.

"We liked Yes, but we also really wanted to rock"

Yes's technical prowess, odd time signatures, and goofy non sensical metaphoric lyrics in general don't do much for me. However, I have many of their songs in my iTunes library and it's the stuff where they let it out a little and rock...

Close to the Edge

South Side of the Sky

Yours is no Disgrace

Heart of the Sunrise

Starship Trooper (though this one doesn't rock, but I love it)

Most of the other stuff bores me...they're too artsy for me. I always thought it was a bad rap that Rush was put into the "nerd rock" category and it seems like they're no longer in that. Yes, meanwhile, is nerd rock to me (no offense to us nerds!)

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Feb 23 2012, 04:50 PM)
Sorry to revisit this, but why don't people like Magnification? I'm just curious.

I like it but I think it would have been better if it had keyboards. The orchestra is alright, but its weird not having keys on a Yes album. Overall its a pretty good album.

Sorry to revisit this, but why don't people like Magnification? I'm just curious.

I like it . The question I always ask is, Who the Hell likes 90210 ? laugh.gif

The songwriting simply isn't that great. It has a few good songs, but too many average ones. And even the one song that started off like it could have been great - In the Presence Of - takes a nosedive about halfway through and never recovers.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 23 2012, 04:56 PM)

I like 90125 . yes.gif

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Feb 23 2012, 06:05 PM)

I like 90125 . yes.gif

laugh.gif 90125 is their pop album, its really a trevor rabin album mostly smile.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 23 2012, 09:56 PM)

Because Journey suck TOO much. You big Journey Mary you.

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Feb 23 2012, 11:05 PM)

I like 90125 . yes.gif

90125 is a big shiny AOR masterpiece. When I was an oh-too-cool indie college arsewipe, I always had to get a daily 90125 hit, in between waxing lyrically about REM & Pixies and looking windswept.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Feb 24 2012, 11:10 AM)
90125 is a damn good pop rock record.

My reason right here. They are Not a Pop band and Never should have tried it. IMO

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 24 2012, 04:42 AM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Feb 23 2012, 11:05 PM)

I like 90125 . yes.gif

90125 is a big shiny AOR masterpiece. When I was an oh-too-cool indie college arsewipe, I always had to get a daily 90125 hit, in between waxing lyrically about REM & Pixies and looking windswept.

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 24 2012, 12:45 PM)

My reason right here. They are Not a Pop band and Never should have tried it. IMO

You are aware that 90125 was originally not intended to be a Yes album, right?

Either way, it was a very successful album, so saying they shouldn't have tried it doesn't make any sense. Had they tried it and failed, then okay, but they excelled at it, so it was a success. Don't make the mistake of assuming that it is easy to write popular songs. If it were easy, everyone would do it.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Feb 24 2012, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 24 2012, 12:45 PM)

You are aware that 90125 was originally not intended to be a Yes album, right?

Either way, it was a very successful album, so saying they shouldn't have tried it doesn't make any sense. Had they tried it and failed, then okay, but they excelled at it, so it was a success. Don't make the mistake of assuming that it is easy to write popular songs. If it were easy, everyone would do it.

They were supposed to be a new band called "Cinema". They were going to have Trevor Horn sing again, but wasn't interested except to produce it. A guy at Atlantic said "well, you could call Jon and see if he would be interested".

Steve Howe had a few comments about 90125. "They sounded a lot like Asia, to me and I started to wonder if they were trying to be like Asia; 'stop that, we're Asia, get outta here' ".