The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Apr 3 2012, 12:39 AM)
funny they play a gig on april 1st

they're just one big joke now

I've officially crossed over to the No-Jon No-Yes side

Now you've got it...welcome to the fold! trink39.gif

Since early March I have been absolutely obsessed with Yes. Prior to this I only had a few songs in my collection (Roundabout, Long Distance Runaround, Seen All Good People) and never paid much attention to them.

But as I've mentioned in other threads, Close to the Edge perhaps became my favorite album of all time as a result of this full immersion into the world of Yes. Don't laugh, I've experienced something almost spiritual in my appreciation of this album.

Anyway, I've also worked through and thoroughly enjoyed the Yes Album, Fragile, Going for the One, and Relayer (for which I promised a full review in the Relayer thread I started, but have yet to deliver...).

So let me get to the point and question at hand. Tales from Topographic Oceans: Do I want to go there?

I know it's a polarizing album. And of course I can formulate my own opinion about it. But I'd love to hear Yes fans' thoughts on it--especially Yes fans who also love Rush...

I understand your feelings about Close to the Edge. I feel the same way and it is also my fave Yes album.

Regarding Tales from Topographic Oceans, I didn't like it at first. In fact, it took several years before it finally sank in. Now I really love it.

After you hear the whole thing for the first time, it's too much to take in. You have to take each piece slowly in order to "absorb"it.

If you don't like it at first, don't give up on it. Keep playing it. Or just take time out to play just one song. Then later another. I don't recommend listening to the whole thing in one sitting if you are not familiar with the tunes.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Apr 16 2012, 10:10 AM)
Since early March I have been absolutely obsessed with Yes. Prior to this I only had a few songs in my collection (Roundabout, Long Distance Runaround, Seen All Good People) and never paid much attention to them.

But as I've mentioned in other threads, Close to the Edge perhaps became my favorite album of all time as a result of this full immersion into the world of Yes. Don't laugh, I've experienced something almost spiritual in my appreciation of this album.

Anyway, I've also worked through and thoroughly enjoyed the Yes Album, Fragile, Going for the One, and Relayer (for which I promised a full review in the Relayer thread I started, but have yet to deliver...).

So let me get to the point and question at hand. Tales from Topographic Oceans: Do I want to go there?

I know it's a polarizing album. And of course I can formulate my own opinion about it. But I'd love to hear Yes fans' thoughts on it--especially Yes fans who also love Rush...

Just stay away from 90210

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 16 2012, 01:57 PM)

^ ignore this post

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Apr 16 2012, 08:10 AM)

Tales is not easy to digest at first, but if you are patient with it I believe the payoff is worth it. It is an album I had to force myself to get familiar with. There is some really excellent stuff on there, but it is also quite self indulgent and a bit bloated.

Edited by Rushman14

I like the album, it makes dance around like this:

common001.gif

"Tales..." is a great album to get lost in - it's fantastic 'working' music (let the whole thing play while you're busy)

there's a very relaxed pace to some of the movements (it really helps if you're a fan of ambient music) and there are some truly epic, transcendent moments as well

much of TFTO (and the quiet ambient bits from Xanadu and By-Tor) piqued my interest - I wanted more of that beatless, soundtrack-like ambience - so when I first heard Vangelis (Blade Runner), Tangerine Dream and Robert Rich, I was thrilled, 'ready' and willing to indulge

coming back to TFTO as an ambient fan, I love it even more today...

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2014/2038996202_3cf785dce1_z.jpg

Edited by ghostworks

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 16 2012, 02:01 PM)

^ ignore this post

moon.gif

btw, stay away from Big Generator as well , unless you like extra syrup

I picked up Tales... on vinyl today. Along with vinyl copies of Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures!

I'm going to take Circumstantial Tree's advice and immerse myself in one cut at a time in order to make the process a little less exhausting.

Do any of you enjoy Jon Anderson's first solo album, or Wakeman's first solo album?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 16 2012, 02:49 PM)

I think it's ok, no masterpiece, but a decent listen. I think you an aversion to 80s albums by bands that established themselves in the 70s... tongue.gif

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Apr 16 2012, 03:50 PM)
I picked up Tales... on vinyl today. Along with vinyl copies of Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures!

I'm going to take Circumstantial Tree's advice and immerse myself in one cut at a time in order to make the process a little less exhausting.

Do any of you enjoy Jon Anderson's first solo album, or Wakeman's first solo album?

Yes, I definitely enjoy "Olias of Sunhillow" by Jon Anderson

and

Rick Wakeman's "Six Wives of Henry VIII" as well as the live "Journey to the Centre of the Earth".

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 16 2012, 03:11 PM)

I think it's ok, no masterpiece, but a decent listen. I think you an aversion to 80s albums by bands that established themselves in the 70s... tongue.gif

Not true at all, i don't like Trevor Rabin solo albums biggrin.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 16 2012, 03:18 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 16 2012, 03:11 PM)

Not true at all, i don't like Trevor Rabin solo albums biggrin.gif

trink36.gif

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Apr 16 2012, 04:27 PM)
Spinning the Revealing Science of God right now. I'm totally digging it. So far I don't understand why this is any more difficult to like than, say, Gates of Delirium...

well, you ain't normal. tongue.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 16 2012, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Apr 16 2012, 04:27 PM)
Spinning the Revealing Science of God right now. I'm totally digging it. So far I don't understand why this is any more difficult to like than, say, Gates of Delirium...

well, you ain't normal. tongue.gif

Or I've just become a full-blown Yes fanboy laugh.gif

Or maybe not. I was checking out some of their 80s/90s material earlier today... wtf.gif

I think I'm really a Jon Anderson homer. Which is strange, because I usually have very little patience for dudes who rock dreamcatchers and crystals. No offense to anyone here who embraces that sort of thing tongue.gif