The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 11 2012, 08:49 PM)
Drama is an excellent album. Machine Messiah kicks ass. yes.gif

Am I the only person who's favorite Yes album is Going For The One?

nope...mine too. also agree with you on Drama, which is a top 5 Yes album for me trink39.gif

1. Going For The One

2. Close to the Edge

3. Fragile

4. The Yes Album

5. Drama

6. Relayer

7. Yes

8. 90125

9. Tales From Topographic Oceans

10. Time and a Word

11. Tormato

12. Fly From Here

13. Magnification

14. Talk

15. The Ladder

16. Big Generator

17. (Re)Union (compilation of tracks from Union, which I don't have)

18. Open Your Eyes

ABWH would be around 12-14 if I included it.

Not sure where Keystudio would be. I've only listened to those tracks once and I don't remember them.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 17 2012, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 16 2012, 02:48 PM)

8. 90125

wtf.gif

Tales is good but for some reason it hasn't really completely clicked with me yet. Maybe it needs more listens. 90125 was my first Yes album and I fell in love with it so that's probably why I rate it so highly.

I used to be one of the biggest Yes fans I've ever met. For years my handle on many sites was CybrKhatru... and on some sites, it still is.

I've seen them live more than any other band. Rush is (sadly) a distant 2nd place, although if they'd toured more often, and if we'd decided to see them instead of Yes in both 1997 and 2004 the counts would be closer. (Yes is at around 25, where with Rush I'll be at 12 by the end of the year.)

They're not my favorite band any longer...however, I'm drawn back to seeing them because their new singer is a friend of mine: a certain Jon Davison. I was in Roundabout with him for the last year of that band's existence and we had a blast.

If we can afford it, we'll be seeing them this year in L.A.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 17 2012, 02:57 PM)

8. 90125

wtf.gif

Tales is good but for some reason it hasn't really completely clicked with me yet. Maybe it needs more listens. 90125 was my first Yes album and I fell in love with it so that's probably why I rate it so highly.

Interesting....

I think 90125 is just sort of bland. I didn't hear it till I heard much of the 70s stuff so that could be a factor. trink38.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 18 2012, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 17 2012, 02:57 PM)

8. 90125

wtf.gif

Interesting....

I think 90125 is just sort of bland. I didn't hear it till I heard much of the 70s stuff so that could be a factor. trink38.gif

Also, Yes and Rush were the bands that pretty much got me into prog rock. If it wasn't for 90125 I probably wouldn't have checked out their older stuff and I probably wouldn't be as interested in prog. So its a pretty important album to me. Plus its pretty enjoyable, straight-forward pop rock.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jun 18 2012, 07:18 PM)
They're not my favorite band any longer...however, I'm drawn back to seeing them because their new singer is a friend of mine: a certain Jon Davison. I was in Roundabout with him for the last year of that band's existence and we had a blast.

That's pretty cool that you're friends with a member of Yes. They should have picked Davison to begin with instead of Benoit David. He's a much better singer.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 18 2012, 04:44 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jun 18 2012, 07:18 PM)
They're not my favorite band any longer...however, I'm drawn back to seeing them because their new singer is a friend of mine: a certain Jon Davison.  I was in Roundabout with him for the last year of that band's existence and we had a blast.

That's pretty cool that you're friends with a member of Yes. They should have picked Davison to begin with instead of Benoit David. He's a much better singer.

I'm not going to disagree with you on that last point. wink.gif

Davison is a wonderful guy and a great musician. Nothing against Benoit, mind you...

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jun 18 2012, 04:18 PM)
I used to be one of the biggest Yes fans I've ever met. For years my handle on many sites was CybrKhatru... and on some sites, it still is.

I've seen them live more than any other band. Rush is (sadly) a distant 2nd place, although if they'd toured more often, and if we'd decided to see them instead of Yes in both 1997 and 2004 the counts would be closer. (Yes is at around 25, where with Rush I'll be at 12 by the end of the year.)

That's pretty cool

trink39.gif

After seeing Yes live with Benoit, I feel ashamed. I'll see Jon live, he's where the whole "Yes" feeling is at.

I'd go see them live if they were playing near me. I'd like to see Procol Harum as well if they are still going to tour this summer. Gary Brooker apparently fell and fractured his skull. They said he's recovering and will be able to tour but I'm wondering if he'll need more time off.

And I still don't get why they fired Oliver Wakeman and replaced him with Geoff Downes. wtf.gif Downes was pretty bad live last year.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 19 2012, 03:03 PM)
I'd go see them live if they were playing near me. I'd like to see Procol Harum as well if they are still going to tour this summer. Gary Brooker apparently fell and fractured his skull. They said he's recovering and will be able to tour but I'm wondering if he'll need more time off.

And I still don't get why they fired Oliver Wakeman and replaced him with Geoff Downes. wtf.gif Downes was pretty bad live last year.

The Oliver Wakeman gimmick didn't work, so Squire tried the "Get Trevor Horn to produce, and Geoff Downes on keyboards so we can finally record all 26 minutes of Fly From Here" gimmick.

Edited by Django

QUOTE (Django @ Jun 19 2012, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 19 2012, 03:03 PM)

The Oliver Wakeman gimmick didn't work, so Squire tried the "Get Trevor Horn to produce, and Geoff Downes on keyboards so we can finally record all 26 minutes of Fly From Here" gimmick.

true smile.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 20 2012, 04:26 PM)
New Yes Tribute CD out
Listen at Progstreaming

laugh.gif

This is really cool!

Just skimming through to hear the variety.

Machine Messiah by Seti was heavy ohmy.gif I guess that's expected biggrin.gif

Spirits Burning - South Side of the Sky

^ now that's pretty folky

Tempus Fugit by TenMidnight sure is funky... I bet these guys cover ELP too?

Wow, thanks for sharing smile.gif

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 15 2012, 01:37 PM)
anyone been to a show on their current tour? i'm seeing them july 31st

saw them last year with Styx. they are a shell of their former selves. it was sad.