The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 7 2012, 08:34 PM)
For those who like Jon Davidson... check out his main gig "Glass Hammer" great band..

I liked Benoit David... and was actually familiar with him before being asked to join Yes... his regular group "Mystery" is very good as well... and I felt alot of the Yes community of fans were a bit unfair to him... simply for the fact that he was not Jon Anderson.

I never saw benoit, I just really liked jon Monday. I am curious about glass hammer. I thought benoit was in a yes tribute band when he was recruited for Yes?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 7 2012, 09:34 PM)
For those who like Jon Davidson... check out his main gig "Glass Hammer" great band..

I listened to their last album when it was on progstreaming. It sounded a bit too much like Yes. I've heard that their older albums are much different.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 7 2012, 07:46 PM)

I listened to their last album when it was on progstreaming. It sounded a bit too much like Yes. I've heard that their older albums are much different.

Their Middle Earth inspired albums are pretty cool

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 7 2012, 10:46 PM)

I have the one they did a couple of years ago, and it sounded so much like Yes that it pissed me off.

angry.gif

Pics from Monday's show at DTE:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/IMG_20120806_210213.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/IMG_20120806_211826.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/1344364788570.jpg

Sucks to see all those empty seats...sheds suck. I saw them at the 1800 capacity warner theater and the place was packed to the gills with a very enthusiastic crowd. Really added to an already great performance, the band fed off the energy. They should stick to these type of venues for sure.

I tried to reduce the sizes on those. Yeah, That first one was to show how truly empty the seats were. We had a lady from the maintenance crew stop and talk to us because she was so bored. No waiting for the bathrooms... Hopefully this will change...

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 7 2012, 09:46 PM)

Their older albums are much better, Chronomolree and the Middle Earth albums are fantastic...

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Aug 8 2012, 09:26 AM)
Sucks to see all those empty seats...sheds suck. I saw them at the 1800 capacity warner theater and the place was packed to the gills with a very enthusiastic crowd. Really added to an already great performance, the band fed off the energy. They should stick to these type of venues for sure.

Holy crap, you live right down the toll road from me!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Aug 8 2012, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Aug 8 2012, 09:26 AM)
Sucks to see all those empty seats...sheds suck.  I saw them at the 1800 capacity warner theater and the place was packed to the gills with a very enthusiastic crowd.  Really added to an already great performance, the band fed off the energy.  They should stick to these type of venues for sure.

Holy crap, you live right down the toll road from me!

trink39.gif

Yep, our nations capitol!

Sorry if this was posted but I found an (old) declaration that tells David was canned when he tried to cancel 3 shows. He shouldn't feel bad, though, they did the same thing to Jon Anderson...

How Benoit David left Yes

It was mentioned before. Benoit David released a classy statement and it is obvious that Chris Squire is as big a boor as he always was, but I would say this to any singer that is not Jon Anderson: "You may be replaced at any moment so enjoy it while it lasts."

Chris Squire has said that he would like Yes to make an album with Jon Davidson, but if he can work things out with Jon Anderson then Davidson will be a goner and probably learn about it from a third party like David did.

It's what happens when a band becomes a corporation instead of friends.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Aug 8 2012, 11:32 AM)
It was mentioned before. Benoit David released a classy statement and it is obvious that Chris Squire is as big a boor as he always was, but I would say this to any singer that is not Jon Anderson: "You may be replaced at any moment so enjoy it while it lasts."

Chris Squire has said that he would like Yes to make an album with Jon Davidson, but if he can work things out with Jon Anderson then Davidson will be a goner and probably learn about it from a third party like David did.

It's what happens when a band becomes a corporation instead of friends.

That's it. I read another interview where squire said he could tell david kept slipping up, basically that he was road-weary, so chris slowed down the Yes Truck just enough to push Benoir off and let Davison on. THere is also talk of jon anderson performing with yes on broadway. wacko.gif

QUOTE (billybobjoe1881 @ Aug 8 2012, 11:52 PM)
I've just recently started getting into YES. What are the essential albums to start my collection?

The Yes Album

Fragile

Close to the Edge

Those are the best three 70s albums overall and the best ones to start off with, too.

Relayer and Tales are worth getting as well, but are rough starters, so save those until you get the others first.

Going for the One is good, but not essential you have most of the others.

90125, Talk and Big Generator are all excellent pop rock records (all post-1970).

Tormato is trash.

Tormato is a rather odd album. To me it's one to play once in a great while. It's not bad but it's certainly not among their best. I know the band members don't think too highly of it. Steve Howe commented that "tonally" it doesn't stand up. Jon Anderson claimed that the members were really tired by that time and states that he can hear it in the music. Also, they didn't have any clear direction and there are no stand out tracks on it (i.e. "Wondrous Stories" from GFTO). Their words, not mine.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 9 2012, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 9 2012, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 8 2012, 11:17 PM)

Tormato is trash.

Tormato is extremely underrated. May not be great but still very good.

Tormato is a fabulous mess. I love it.

I also like it.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 9 2012, 04:49 PM)

Tormato is trash.

I also like it.

yes.gif Tormato rocks! 1022.gif

Drama is a good one too.

But I would agree that you should get The Yes Album and Close to the Edge first. smile.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Aug 11 2012, 10:20 AM)

Tormato is trash.

I also like it.

Drama is a good one too.

But I would agree that you should get The Yes Album and Close to the Edge first. smile.gif

and Fragile.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 11 2012, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Aug 11 2012, 10:20 AM)

Tormato is trash.

I also like it.

Drama is a good one too.

and Fragile.

And Going For The One!