The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

Trevor Rabin is a soulless hack. The guy can play fast, but if a groove ever hit him he would forget how to count and therefore could no longer play. I feel the same way about him as I do most hair metal guitarists. Nothing personal, but I was glad when he was gone.

In defense of Fly From Here. It is a natural progression from Drama. it's too bad they didn't record it in 1981.

Yes is still worth seeing live because they still play the classics. Steve Howe, Chris Squire and Alan White can play those songs in their sleep. If they just get another bus and add Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman back to the mix for a farewell tour then they could end on a high note.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 1 2012, 12:18 PM)
Yes, they can play them in their sleep, and often times in the last decade, they looked like they were on sleep on stage while playing.

And Rabin is a soulless hack? LOL, okay.

Rabin is awesome. I don't understand this soulless hack business.

Listening to Drama a bit recently, and I must say it is a very solid album. biggrin.gif

Machine Messiah and Tempus Fugit form a perfect 15 minutes, and the rest of the album is good enough to make an enjoyable listen. Into the Lens is especially fun, if a bit cheesy. wink.gif

I'd rate it a B+.

However, it is still worse than all albums up to that point. (Besides the debut)

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 11 2012, 06:26 PM)
Listening to Drama a bit recently, and I must say it is a very solid album. biggrin.gif

Machine Messiah and Tempus Fugit form a perfect 15 minutes, and the rest of the album is good enough to make an enjoyable listen. Into the Lens is especially fun, if a bit cheesy. wink.gif

I'd rate it a B+.

However, it is still worse than all albums up to that point. (Besides the debut)

To me, Drama is better than Yes, Time and a Word, and Tormato.

Does it Really Happen is my favorite track.

QUOTE (Django @ Jun 11 2012, 08:09 PM)

I'd rate it a B+.

Really? Better than Time and a Word and Tormato? confused13.gif

To each his own. trink39.gif Personally, I am a huge fan of both albums - I like those two both better than Fragile, honestly. smile.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 11 2012, 09:49 PM)
Drama is an excellent album. Machine Messiah kicks ass. yes.gif

Am I the only person who's favorite Yes album is Going For The One?

Probably.

It's arguable the worst Yes album up until 90125. (other than the debut) confused13.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 11 2012, 09:51 PM)

Probably.

It's arguable the worst Yes album up until 90125. (other than the debut) confused13.gif

wink.gif

Awaken is simply amazing, Turn of the Century is one of the best ballads ever, the pipe organ on Parallels is just incredible...I just love the whole album. Pretty terrible cover though.

smilies-8579.png

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 11 2012, 10:00 PM)

Probably.

wink.gif

Awaken is simply amazing, Turn of the Century is one of the best ballads ever, the pipe organ on Parallels is just incredible...I just love the whole album. Pretty terrible cover though.

smilies-8579.png

I love side 1, but...

Machine Messiah + Tempus Fugit > Awaken.

IMO Awaken is the worst of the longer Yes songs. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 11 2012, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 11 2012, 10:00 PM)

Probably.

wink.gif

smilies-8579.png

I love side 1, but...

Machine Messiah + Tempus Fugit > Awaken.

IMO Awaken is the worst of the longer Yes songs. confused13.gif

Close to the Edge is my favorite Yes epic but I like GFTO a little more than CTTE (the album). They're essentially tied.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 11 2012, 09:40 PM)

I'd rate it a B+.

To each his own. trink39.gif Personally, I am a huge fan of both albums - I like those two both better than Fragile, honestly. smile.gif

Wait, what?

Ok, I can understand someone like the first two over Drama. But liking the first two over Fragile?

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/GIFs/mind-blown.gif

Probably.

wink.gif

Yous be trollin'.

I think for a lot of people, Awaken is their favorite Yes song. But GFTO as a whole isn't a favorite album, though it is probably in most Yes fan's top 5.

QUOTE (Django @ Jun 11 2012, 10:38 PM)

I'd rate it a B+.

Wait, what?

Ok, I can understand someone like the first two over Drama. But liking the first two over Fragile?

Just Time and a Word. smile.gif

IMO Fragile is a little.. okay... EXTREMELY dis-jointed, and sometimes awkward to listen to.

However, Roundabout, Heart of the Sunrise, and LDR/Fish are perfect, stand-out songs. smile.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 12 2012, 06:44 PM)
QUOTE (Django @ Jun 11 2012, 10:38 PM)

I'd rate it a B+.

Wait, what?

Just Time and a Word. smile.gif

IMO Fragile is a little.. okay... EXTREMELY dis-jointed, and sometimes awkward to listen to.

However, Roundabout, Heart of the Sunrise, and LDR/Fish are perfect, stand-out songs. smile.gif

South Side of the Sky, man!!!

I know what you mean, though. "We Have Heaven," "Cans and Brahms," and "Five Percent for Nothing," seem a bit out of place amongst the giants like Roundabout and Heart of the Sunrise.

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 12 2012, 09:11 PM)
Fragile rules

Funny just the other day I listened to the album in its entirety and commented to a friend how brilliant the whole "piece" is. Tremendous stuff indeed. Prob my 2nd favorite Yes album after Going for the One.

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 12 2012, 09:11 PM)
Fragile rules

Funny just the other day I listened to the album in its entirety and commented to a friend how brilliant the whole "piece" is (disagreeing w the above posts on cans, five percent, etc). Tremendous stuff indeed. Prob my favorite Yes album along with Going for the One.