The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 30 2012, 03:42 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 29 2012, 08:08 PM)
I was expecting it to completely suck but I liked it.

I expected it to suck too, and it delivered, in spades.

Yeah, I think the only problem with Fly From Here is that a large chunk of Yes fans won't like anything without Jon Anderson. The same thing happened when Drama first came out and it is one of my favorites from the early years. FFH will age like a good wine and years from now when there is no band left to kick around fans will come around and realize how good it is.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 29 2012, 01:35 PM)
It is very sad that they continue to drag out YouTube singer after YouTube singer and play in front of about 500 people , in n.y/n.j anyway

Yes are touring WITHOUT Jon Anderson?! ohmy.gif

Man.... I am so out of the Yes loop. I remember wanting to go see them back in '07 or '08, and suddenly news came that JA was ill and they'd have to cancel their tour. Sad to hear JA is still out of commission.... I hope he is doing OK.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 30 2012, 09:02 PM)
It is very sad that they continue to drag out YouTube singer after YouTube singer and play in front of about 500 people , in n.y/n.j anyway

Man.... I am so out of the Yes loop. I remember wanting to go see them back in '07 or '08, and suddenly news came that JA was ill and they'd have to cancel their tour. Sad to hear JA is still out of commission.... I hope he is doing OK.

He's doing well and has been doing acoustic shows, both solo and with Rick Wakeman. I saw him in 2010 and he sounded excellent. He recently released a 20 minute track called Open on iTunes...its excellent and definitely worth listening to.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ May 30 2012, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 30 2012, 03:42 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 29 2012, 08:08 PM)
I was expecting it to completely suck but I liked it.

I expected it to suck too, and it delivered, in spades.

Yeah, I think the only problem with Fly From Here is that a large chunk of Yes fans won't like anything without Jon Anderson. The same thing happened when Drama first came out and it is one of my favorites from the early years. FFH will age like a good wine and years from now when there is no band left to kick around fans will come around and realize how good it is.

Nope. It just sucks. Like Open Your Eyes did. Like Drama didn't.

The "Jon can do no wrong" theory is a crock of monkey dribble.

FFH is a soulless, empty, cash grab.

While there's only one Jon Anderson, I'm fine with them using other folks (though wish theyd stick with one). This new guy, from what Ive seen on youtube, sounds stronger than Benoit. Going to see them in August. Here's hoping they continue to play more Drama material. Also wouldnt mind some Relayer or GFTO. Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 30 2012, 06:15 PM)

He's doing well and has been doing acoustic shows, both solo and with Rick Wakeman. I saw him in 2010 and he sounded excellent. He recently released a 20 minute track called Open on iTunes...its excellent and definitely worth listening to.

Thanks! Good to hear. I wonder why he's not touring with Yes?

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 31 2012, 12:04 PM)

facepalm.gif

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 31 2012, 11:09 AM)

facepalm.gif

Ah.... according to Wikipedia, Yes hired a new lead singer named Benoit David in '08. I'm sure I sound clueless, but does anyone know what the heck happened? I haven't followed modern-day Yes for years and years.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 31 2012, 02:32 PM)

facepalm.gif

Ah.... according to Wikipedia, Yes hired a new lead singer named Benoit David in '08. I'm sure I sound clueless, but does anyone know what the heck happened? I haven't followed modern-day Yes for years and years.

Jon Anderson got sick, as you know, so they needed a fill-in to tour while he recovered. Anderson was told that he'd be able to return once he recovered but they didn't let him rejoin. If he had rejoined they wouldn't have been able to play as many shows weekly (i.e. not make as much money) since Anderson could only play a few shows weekly. I hope I got that right...

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 31 2012, 01:09 PM)

facepalm.gif

As if what Yes is up to should be common knowledge...

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 31 2012, 11:04 AM)

Chris Squire ate him

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 31 2012, 12:45 PM)

facepalm.gif

Jon Anderson got sick, as you know, so they needed a fill-in to tour while he recovered. Anderson was told that he'd be able to return once he recovered but they didn't let him rejoin. If he had rejoined they wouldn't have been able to play as many shows weekly (i.e. not make as much money) since Anderson could only play a few shows weekly. I hope I got that right...

Thanks for filling me in! Wow.... ohmy.gif I guess band loyalty isn't priority numero uno for Jon's bandmates. Can you imagine if Geddy got sick and Alex and Neil said, nah, screw you, we can make more money without you. Who cares that we've played together for the last 30-odd years?

Then again, I know JA & Yes must have had their differences, considering he's been out of the group in the past. Oh well.... guess I'll have to cross seeing Yes live off of my bucket list. It just wouldn't be the same for me with JA.... best of luck to the band all the same.

QUOTE (beherit @ May 31 2012, 12:48 PM)

facepalm.gif

beherit, meet friendlyfloridian, our resident know-it-all. Rather than contribute anything of value to the discussion, he likes to jump in just to make sure we're aware that he knows it all, and we're clueless. wink.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 31 2012, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (beherit @ May 31 2012, 12:48 PM)

facepalm.gif

beherit, meet friendlyfloridian, our resident know-it-all. Rather than contribute anything of value to the discussion, he likes to jump in just to make sure we're aware that he knows it all, and we're clueless. wink.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 31 2012, 08:00 PM)

facepalm.gif

Thanks for filling me in! Wow.... ohmy.gif I guess band loyalty isn't priority numero uno for Jon's bandmates. Can you imagine if Geddy got sick and Alex and Neil said, nah, screw you, we can make more money without you. Who cares that we've played together for the last 30-odd years?

Then again, I know JA & Yes must have had their differences, considering he's been out of the group in the past. Oh well.... guess I'll have to cross seeing Yes live off of my bucket list. It just wouldn't be the same for me with JA.... best of luck to the band all the same.

I think Jon and Rick's relationship with the other band members was pretty ugly. One of them said that they would have to tour in a separate bus since the 3 other guys were so miserable. Its pretty sad to see this happen to such great musicians.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 31 2012, 07:06 PM)

facepalm.gif

I think Jon and Rick's relationship with the other band members was pretty ugly. One of them said that they would have to tour in a separate bus since the 3 other guys were so miserable. Its pretty sad to see this happen to such great musicians.

Sad indeed. At least Jon and Rick are still making music together. smile.gif

I might have to catch Yes just to see Steve Howe perform though.... I simply love his playing. Since it seems like Jon is gone for good, they should try to get Trevor Horn on lead vocals. laugh.gif And then perform Drama in its entirety. I bet a lot of people would be puzzled but I would be drool1.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 31 2012, 11:54 PM)

facepalm.gif

I might have to catch Yes just to see Steve Howe perform though.... I simply love his playing. Since it seems like Jon is gone for good, they should try to get Trevor Horn on lead vocals. laugh.gif And then perform Drama in its entirety. I bet a lot of people would be puzzled but I would be drool1.gif

I saw them with Styx last year. Steve Howe was very good, as expected, but the songs were played much slower than they were originally recorded and Geoff Downes and Benoit David were sloppy (and annoying). Based on youtube videos their newest singer sounds much better. His band Glass Hammer is decent as well.

I'd love to see them play Drama with Trevor Rabin. 1022.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 31 2012, 09:04 PM)

facepalm.gif

I saw them with Styx last year. Steve Howe was very good, as expected, but the songs were played much slower than they were originally recorded and Geoff Downes and Benoit David were sloppy (and annoying). Based on youtube videos their newest singer sounds much better. His band Glass Hammer is decent as well.

You mean Trevor Horn. laugh.gif Steve Howe played guitar on Drama. Trevor Rabin played guitar on 90125 through Talk. I can't believe Yes' lineup has included two Trevors.... it must be a pretty common name over in the UK.

^ ....although I'm sure Rabin would do a fine job with Drama. He is an excellent guitarist in his own right.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 1 2012, 12:13 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 31 2012, 09:04 PM)

facepalm.gif

You mean Trevor Horn. laugh.gif Steve Howe played guitar on Drama. Trevor Rabin played guitar on 90125 through Talk. I can't believe Yes' lineup has included two Trevors.... it must be a pretty common name over in the UK.

Yeah, I meant Horn. I always get the 2 Trevors mixed up. laugh.gif I do like a lot of the Rabin-era stuff and he is a good guitarist but Steve Howe is still the best. yes.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 31 2012, 11:24 PM)
^ ....although I'm sure Rabin would do a fine job with Drama. He is an excellent guitarist in his own right.

No Rabin........EVER ! . Drama is great just the way it is yes.gif You want Rabin ? Listen to 90210