The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 10 2012, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 10 2012, 10:17 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 10 2012, 10:16 AM)
I'm in a tiny minority here, but I love Magnification.

Same here

emphasis on 'tiny', fellas wink.gif

trink39.gif

There's that f***ing wink again. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 10 2012, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 10 2012, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 10 2012, 06:36 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 10 2012, 04:49 AM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Feb 9 2012, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 9 2012, 05:20 PM)
Yes has made itself more like "nope".

I saw them once per decade since eighties, and I think I'm about done. They haven't done a good album since the seventies, either.

Fly From Here begs to differ.

Fly From Here is the aural equivalent of a wart on a gorilla's buttocks.

as an album?

FFH > Union > Magnification > Close Your Eyes > The Ladder

^ (and only one of those features David on vocals)

...The Ladder has Homeworld, the last decent epic. There is nothing of comparison on FFH...

'The Ladder' is literally cringe-worthy (that's not to say there aren't a few of those moments to go around on FFH) - but 'The Ladder' as an album is truly the sound of a band 'going backwards'

it's embarrassing, and make FFH's disappointments much less offensive in comparison

Yes, a lot of the Ladder is cringeworthy, but all of FFH is cringeworthy, so the Ladder wins for me.

One sec....

wink.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 10 2012, 04:03 PM)
(full disclosure) haven't listened to 'Magnification' since 2001, and it was only once... (I was working for a record store) and I threw the promo disc out the window on my way home from work

so, to be fair...

np: Magnification
http://www.spirit-of-rock.com/les%20goupes/Y/Yes/Magnification/Magnification.jpg

1. Magnification
> ...starts with old-Yes-by-numbers (does anyone in this band 'remember' Big Generator' and '90125'? apparently not)... and wow, that chorus is horrid (and those orchestral flourishes afterward are silly)... wait - did Jon just sing "mag-nif-I-cay, mag-nif-I-cay-shuuunnn"? wow...(moving on)

2. Spirit Of Survival
> I'm beginning to remember one of the principal things I hated about this album ten years ago... the silly orchestration - it's so vanilla, not creative, fights/overwhelms the song... not that there's much of a song here - trying to draft a straight-up 4/4 rawk beat over back-in-the-day prog flourishes... god, this sucks (and we're only 13 minutes in!)

3. Don't Go
> okay, an interesting modern intro... that descends into an impossible-to-comprehend goofy Nickelodeon kid's theme song-style jam... the chorus is AWESOME though, wow! holy crap, it's really really good - very Rabin-era, tight backing vocals, great bass/guitar riffing... what a FRUSTRATING song (and yeah, by the time we they decide that a f*cking car horn sample would be cool, I'm out)

4. Give Love Each Day
> whatever film soundtrack they were trying to audition for, they obviously didn't get the callback... right? zzz

5. Can You Imagine
> Foreigner's 'Cold As Ice', add strings (of course) and let Chris sing... *sigh*

6. We Agree
> "...danger is the most important fear you'll ever know..." - wow (and hey! more crappy strings!!!)

7. Soft As A Dove
> Yes Rule #223: you never let Jon have this much control over a song

...and I really can't stomach any more (and don't even try to tell me 'dude, wait - it really gets cooking after 'Dove'!)

this is soulless, regressive retread music - they're not even trying to incorporate the idea that the 21st century exists

it's albums like this that validate (at the time) what a great decision Trevor Rabin was

OK, did you REALLY through it out of the window?

That's littering. Or an art installation.

Soft As A Dove is shit. On that we agree.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 10 2012, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 10 2012, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 10 2012, 10:17 AM)
I'm in a tiny minority here, but I love Magnification.

Same here

emphasis on 'tiny', fellas wink.gif

trink39.gif

There's that f***ing wink again. biggrin.gif

I know!!!! wink.gif

the *winking* around here is insidious!!!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 10 2012, 12:52 PM)
I've been overly negative on this thread, yes it is indeed time to turn this thread around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Pspv2Gmq8

^ awesome...

never seen footage of Steve playing a Gibson EDS 1275 before:

http://i.imgur.com/macyN.jpg

Listened to Time and a Word for the first time last night.

Then I hopped right over to ProgAchives and gave it a 5 + a great review.

I think I actually like it better than Close to the Edge. It's really not extravagant at all, and Bill Bruford rips it up.

Here's what I said on Progarchives:

Why is this album only 3 stars average? I prefer much of this to Close to the Edge. The whole album is so rocking and intense that really there are few flaws to be found. 'Then' stands out as my favorite track. (Also, some awesome footage of that song can be found on YouTube) Astral Traveler, The Prophets, Everydays, and Time and a Word are great as well. This album is especially interesting as it really shows the evolution of Yes. It transitions very well into The Yes Album, which, as this album, flirts at times with hard rock.
Maybe the best thing about this album is the total lack of Yes's later pompous-ness and over-exaggeration of prog themes to be found on Close to the Edge, Going for the One, Fragile, etc.

Oh, and Bill Bruford. He is a monster on this album. Better than even some of his King Crimson stuff. Sorry, Alan White, Bruford kicks your butt. Tony Kaye is also great. His style is completely different from Wakeman, but I love it just as much.

A must-listen for all you Yes fans! yes.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 11 2012, 02:36 PM)

I think I actually like it better than Close to the Edge. It's really not extravagant at all, and Bill Bruford rips it up.

Why is this album only 3 stars average? I prefer much of this to Close to the Edge. The whole album is so rocking and intense that really there are few flaws to be found. 'Then' stands out as my favorite track. (Also, some awesome footage of that song can be found on YouTube) Astral Traveler, The Prophets, Everydays, and Time and a Word are great as well. This album is especially interesting as it really shows the evolution of Yes. It transitions very well into The Yes Album, which, as this album, flirts at times with hard rock.
Maybe the best thing about this album is the total lack of Yes's later pompous-ness and over-exaggeration of prog themes to be found on Close to the Edge, Going for the One, Fragile, etc.

Oh, and Bill Bruford. He is a monster on this album. Better than even some of his King Crimson stuff. Sorry, Alan White, Bruford kicks your butt. Tony Kaye is also great. His style is completely different from Wakeman, but I love it just as much.

That's a very suspect review. Like using an orchestra on only your second album wasn't pompous.....

Fragile & CTTE are not over-exaggerated or over-pompous. They nailed them. If he mentioned Topographic, then hands up, guilty as charged. Or even Gates.

A Richie Havens track merged with The Big Country theme tune, I love it, but surely that's rattling along down the old pomposity highway....

Most reviews tend to be around 2 to 3 stars. I give it a 3. There are too many light and frivolous moments, leaving it all a bit unbalanced for me.

But, compared to FFH, it's a frigging masterpiece.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 11 2012, 07:36 AM)

Time and a Word is a grossly unappreciated album. The whole thing is brilliant start to finish, and I love that it sounds not quite like any other Yes album. I love the orchestration. I love the songs. One of my faves for sure. yes.gif trink39.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 11 2012, 10:02 AM)

That's a very suspect review. Like using an orchestra on only your second album wasn't pompous.....

Fragile & CTTE are not over-exaggerated or over-pompous. They nailed them. If he mentioned Topographic, then hands up, guilty as charged. Or even Gates.

A Richie Havens track merged with The Big Country theme tune, I love it, but surely that's rattling along down the old pomposity highway....

Most reviews tend to be around 2 to 3 stars. I give it a 3. There are too many light and frivolous moments, leaving it all a bit unbalanced for me.

That's my review. I don't think the album is pomous at all. And yes, CttE is pompous. Tales is not.

Reasoning: the orchestrations on Tales build and evolve, so the songs build up to their peak. CttE, however, while being an amazing album, occasionally comes out of nowhere and knocks you out with the symphonic sounds.

Just my opinion, of course.

And FFH stands up just fine against TaaW.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 11 2012, 06:18 PM)

That's my review. I don't think the album is pomous at all. And yes, CttE is pompous. Tales is not.

Reasoning: the orchestrations on Tales build and evolve, so the songs build up to their peak. CttE, however, while being an amazing album, occasionally comes out of nowhere and knocks you out with the symphonic sounds.

You don't think Tales From Topographic Oceans is pompous. Ok then.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 11 2012, 01:22 PM)

No. Perfect.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 11 2012, 06:26 PM)

No. Perfect.

OK then.

The latest Glass Hammer album is on progstreaming.com. I'm listening now. There's a very strong Yes influence and Davison is a pretty good singer. At some points he sounds like an Anderson clone but the music is pretty enjoyable for what it is. I'm sure he'll be a better Jon Anderson replacement than Benoit David. Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 11 2012, 11:29 AM)

No. Perfect.

OK then.

I think Tales is definitely pompous, but that doesn't bother me at all. It's my favorite Yes album and an absolute masterpiece! Then again, Close to the Edge is also completely brilliant, as is Time and a Word! No complaints on me with any of them, and all are easily five out of five stars in my book! yes.gif trink39.gif wub.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 13 2012, 09:44 PM)

No. Perfect.

OK then.

I think Tales is definitely pompous, but that doesn't bother me at all. It's my favorite Yes album and an absolute masterpiece! Then again, Close to the Edge is also completely brilliant, as is Time and a Word! No complaints on me with any of them, and all are easily five out of five stars in my book! yes.gif trink39.gif wub.gif

goodpost.gif yes.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 11 2012, 09:36 AM)

Better than Close To The Edge? I wouldn't go that far. But I enjoy it more than any of the post-Bruford albums. And Tommy, if you're that much of a fan of T&AW you might want to check out Banks and Kaye's offshoot bands Flash and Badger...really good stuff.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 14 2012, 02:44 AM)

No. Perfect.

OK then.

I love TFTO, for all it's pomposity, and because of the pomposity. But CTTE beats the living shit out of it.

Bruford Vs. White: To me, Bruford was so experimental I just love his uniqeness and daring spirit, but in truth, even though Bruford's my favorite Yes member, White kicks his ass as far as cleverly smoothing out all the odd meter stuff with a style and grace only Alan White can pull off. The man played with John Lennon. That's gotta say somethin...