The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 28 2011, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 28 2011, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 28 2011, 12:29 PM)
Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Rabin 2012

^ even typing that feels 'right'

If what i read is true, you might be typing...................

Anderson Portnoy Wakeman and Rabin . confused13.gif

good god sad.gif

fingers crossed against it

Currently trying to cross my toes also. I love old Porkbelly, but leave Yes the hell alone. They do a good enough job f*cking things up without any outside help, thanyewvirmuch.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 28 2011, 01:49 PM)

Not Mike Porkbelly in YES?? That's too kind of weird man...

wacko.gif

Right. Definitely not a fit. Portnoy is not known for his grace notes. He is an in-your-face drummer.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 28 2011, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 27 2011, 07:05 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 27 2011, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 26 2011, 06:13 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 26 2011, 03:03 PM)
^ of course, you haven't actually heard it yet wink.gif

unsure.gif confused13.gif

sorry - I didn't see your post where you explained that you scored a promo copy (or found a FLAC torrent)

unsure.gif

mp3 torrent does just fine, you audophile! 1287.gif

gheesh, yeah - I know I know

all that 'let's listen to the music the way the artist intended for us to hear it' crap is so-o-o 20th century, right?

You can tell whether an albums good or not even in mp3 quality, we're not listening to anything too ambient here!

16 PCM isn't so much better than 320kbps anyhow.

I find this album more comparable with Tormato than Drama. You can definitely tell Horn produced it, but when you listen to the final track "Into the Storm", Howe and Squire's tones will bring you straight back to Tormato.

(it also lacks the heaviness Drama had)

Edited by Kenneth

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 28 2011, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 28 2011, 01:49 PM)

Not Mike Porkbelly in YES?? That's too kind of weird man...

wacko.gif

Right. Definitely not a fit. Portnoy is not known for his grace notes. He is an in-your-face drummer.

rofl3.gif He would last about 5 minutes.

I am starting to like the new song. I might have to go see them in 2 weeks.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 27 2011, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 27 2011, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 27 2011, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 27 2011, 03:32 PM)
I keep reading reviews that say it reminds them of Drama , got no prob with that and can't wait to get it

Yep cos you KNOW that means it's METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

1022.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif

If Yes is any kind of Metal, its Lithium, which would probably please a bunch of you!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 1 2011, 11:28 AM)

I think Chris Squire said that they might be playing one song from the new album on this tour and they will be doing more of the new album when they tour for it later on this year.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 1 2011, 05:40 PM)

I think Chris Squire said that they might be playing one song from the new album on this tour and they will be doing more of the new album when they tour for it later on this year.

Here's a setlist of theirs from earlier this year:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/yes/2011/sun...l-63d27627.html

I guess it will look similar to this.

I'll be drinking a soda and taking a piss while Styx are on.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 1 2011, 08:46 PM)

For over an hour? That's one long bathroom break! wink.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 1 2011, 05:51 PM)

I'll have "Too Much Time on my Hands" new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 1 2011, 09:15 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 1 2011, 05:51 PM)

I'll have "Too Much Time on my Hands" new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

And something in your hands? unsure.gif

Just listened to the new album. It's a disgrace like nearly everything new from Yes in the last 20 years (Talk, which I find quite decent, excluded). Just a collection of age-old-second-rate-ideas that weren't good enough for an album back then, but seem to be now.

On par with Union, Open Your Eyes or (maybe not even) Magnification.

Even The Ladder was better.

As far as ratings go - a 1/5 (for the first three minutes and Steve's solo piece).

Fans of the amazing "Drama", be careful. This hasABSOLUTELY nothing to do with that prog masterpiece!

... and I even liked Big Generator and Tormato ...

Edited by barchetta90480

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jul 3 2011, 04:46 PM)
Just listened to the new album. It's a disgrace like nearly everything new from Yes in the last 20 years (Talk, which I find quite decent, excluded). Just a collection of age-old-second-rate-ideas that weren't good enough for an album back then, but seem to be now.
As far as ratings go - a 1/5 (for the first three minutes and Steve's solo piece).
Fans of the amazing "Drama", be careful. This hasABSOLUTELY nothing to do with that prog masterpiece!

Something tells me this is what I am going to think about the new album as well.

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Jul 3 2011, 10:01 PM)

Something tells me this is what I am going to think about the new album as well.

Well ... make up your own mind, but I was really really disappointed (again). I have been buying nearly everything they released up to, say, 2000. But they're not exactly a working unit anymore. Yes seems to be all about recycling to me. Sorry for a band that put out a few defining classics throughout the 7os and kept their grace until the early 90s.

The upcoming tour wil probably be the first I miss.

And - I don't think it's Benoit David's fault. He's not the worst on that record (and Ripper Owens, Sammy Hagar and Blaze Bayley were worse). It the uninspired overall feeling of it - mainly by Chirs Squire's and Steve Howe's absence of taking any risks (which consequently kills anything 'prog') and especially Alan White's boom-da-boom drumming. He's never been a Peart, a Bruford or even a Paice or a McBrain, but that's abominable. Why didn't they take some time for that album. There was no need to hurry.

... still a fanboy for everything pre 1980, though ...

I think right now it's more about making some money. As a result, no care is being put into the project.

Yes should hang it up. They're done.

Decent album, but Magnification was Magnificent. Much better than Fly From Here. That said, Fly From Here isn't an album that proves "They've gone sour", it's just a decent album like many others of theirs, even going back into the 70s.

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jul 3 2011, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Jul 3 2011, 10:01 PM)

Well ... make up your own mind, but I was really really disappointed (again). I have been buying nearly everything they released up to, say, 2000. But they're not exactly a working unit anymore. Yes seems to be all about recycling to me. Sorry for a band that put out a few defining classics throughout the 7os and kept their grace until the early 90s.

The upcoming tour wil probably be the first I miss.

And - I don't think it's Benoit David's fault. He's not the worst on that record (and Ripper Owens, Sammy Hagar and Blaze Bayley were worse). It the uninspired overall feeling of it - mainly by Chirs Squire's and Steve Howe's absence of taking any risks (which consequently kills anything 'prog') and especially Alan White's boom-da-boom drumming. He's never been a Peart, a Bruford or even a Paice or a McBrain, but that's abominable. Why didn't they take some time for that album. There was no need to hurry.

... still a fanboy for everything pre 1980, though ...

I hear what you are saying, and I agree with it all. Yes was my absolute favorite band from 1983 (when I was 14) through late 2006. I knew every word, every note, and every nuance on every album.

But when they stopped putting out new material, but kept touring, I began to sour on them as a present day act. Then, in late 2006, after 2 and 1/2 years of not touring, I read where Squire threatened to get a singer from a tribute band, and a keyboard player (he mentioned Ryo Okumoto from Spock's Beard) and take them on tour with Steve Howe and Alan White.

That was enough for me. In my eyes, they were all about trotting out 35 year old songs for a handful of die-hard sycophants. It might be enough for them to make a living off of, but I wasn't going to be that guy.

Being a guitar player, Steve Howe was always my favorite. But I could no longer deny that his electric playing was generally atrocious, and that his tone has pretty much sucked since he was kicked out of Asia after the Alpha album. He still has his moments, but he really has fallen off considerably.

Its funny you say what you said about Alan White's drumming because I was thinking pretty much the same thing. We all know he's no Neal, or no Bruford. But his playing has generally been so uninspiring. Again, he has his moments, but there have been so many songs where there is an emotional peak, and White is just playing Boom-Bap Boom-Bap. He adds nothing to the intensity, nothing to accent or enhance the impact. I saw Jason Bonham live a couple of weeks ago, and he absolutely killed it. Alan White is boring in comparison.

So yeah, I will listen to the new material and judge it for myself. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. But chances are, I will remain an Ex-Patriot Yes Fan.

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Jul 4 2011, 12:57 PM)
Yes was my absolute favorite band from 1983 (when I was 14) through late 2006.  I knew every word, every note, and every nuance on every album.

Hey, I was 13 then trink39.gif

Their last real shot at glory was the ABWH album. Slightly overloaded with kitsch, yet still a fine album. It all went downhill after that. Although, as I mentioned, I really liked Talk.

Bonham jr. really seems to be a great drummer. Heard many words in praise of him, but didn't get the chance to hear him live. I heard the other son of a famous drumming dad, though, Zak Starkey. And he was brilliant.

Now, back to Alan White ... sigh ...

Edited by barchetta90480

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jul 3 2011, 03:46 PM)

Being a big Drama fan, Im sorry to hear this