the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

I'm ripping my entire CD Catalogue back into iTunes and I own some weird music. AC/DC, Beastie Boys, Brad Paisley, Cannibal Corpse, Elton John, IWresteldABearOnce, Lady Gaga, Otis Redding, Toby Keith, Rush, No Doubt, Yes among others.
  • Like 1

People think I'm crazy and I am definitely in the minority when I say: I believe about 90% of the time the remasters are not as good as the originals. They mess with the mix and it just messes it up. Sure it's louder but usually too compressed. Took me years to figure this out but I have seen the light.

I much prefer remixes as opposed to remasters. The mastering process should only be done once; however, mixing can be done in a variety of different ways that the possibilities are nearly endless! :D

Random musical thought...well, this is an interesting one. I work as a courtesy clerk (read: bagger) in a grocery store and have been employed there for about give or take three weeks. I was about to get off of an eight hourr shift and a woman came to the lane I happened to be working. She was on Ohio WIC, which stands for Women, Infants, and Children. It's a food program that specializes in helping needy families (or is supposed to, at least) get their children healthy foods. She presents the checks and food to the cashier, everything is going normal. She turns away for a second and one of the checks goes missing. Not too soon after that happens, an argument starts between the cashier and the woman, with the latter accusing the former of stealing the check (which was for a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs). After five minutes of arguing, I finally pipe up "I'll pay for your eggs and milk, miss". So, true to my word, I pay for what I said I would pay for. By the end of it all, she's crying.

When I came home, the first song that came on my iPhone was "The Garden" by Rush, and I was particularly struck by the lyrics: "The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect/The way you live, the gifts that you give/In the fullness of time/It's the only return that you expect". And it was in this moment, that I knew I had not only done something ordinarily "good" that night, I had done something that probably meant the entire world over to someone. I did something that meant too much to express in words to this woman, and it took a Rush song for me to realize that. I realize I had done something good, but nothing on the level which I have just described. It's an incredible feeling, and I haven't come off that high for days. I hope I never do. That's my random music thought.

• Like 3

People think I'm crazy and I am definitely in the minority when I say: I believe about 90% of the time the remasters are not as good as the originals. They mess with the mix and it just messes it up. Sure it's louder but usually too compressed. Took me years to figure this out but I have seen the light.

I much prefer remixes as opposed to remasters. The mastering process should only be done once; however, mixing can be done in a variety of different ways that the possibilities are nearly endless! :D

Random musical thought...well, this is an interesting one. I work as a courtesy clerk (read: bagger) in a grocery store and have been employed there for about give or take three weeks. I was about to get off of an eight hourr shift and a woman came to the lane I happened to be working. She was on Ohio WIC, which stands for Women, Infants, and Children. It's a food program that specializes in helping needy families (or is supposed to, at least) get their children healthy foods. She presents the checks and food to the cashier, everything is going normal. She turns away for a second and one of the checks goes missing. Not too soon after that happens, an argument starts between the cashier and the woman, with the latter accusing the former of stealing the check (which was for a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs). After five minutes of arguing, I finally pipe up "I'll pay for your eggs and milk, miss". So, true to my word, I pay for what I said I would pay for. By the end of it all, she's crying.

When I came home, the first song that came on my iPhone was "The Garden" by Rush, and I was particularly struck by the lyrics: "The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect/The way you live, the gifts that you give/In the fullness of time/It's the only return that you expect". And it was in this moment, that I knew I had not only done something ordinarily "good" that night, I had done something that probably meant the entire world over to someone. I did something that meant too much to express in words to this woman, and it took a Rush song for me to realize that. I realize I had done something good, but nothing on the level which I have just described. It's an incredible feeling, and I haven't come off that high for days. I hope I never do. That's my random music thought.

That was a really nice gesture of you :)

I don't normally listen to music that could be considered as pop, but this one by Jennie Abrahamson just struck a chord in me from the first listen. She and Linnea Olson was the supporting act for Peter Gabriel on the Back To Front Tour, and that's where I heard for the first time. Usually supporting acts are kind of boring but I was captivated through all of their songs.

I'm not that good at listening to lyrics as I often get them wrong, but I think some of the chorus goes like this:

"So let it burn, and start anew. It will rise, like phoenix from the ashes. Don't deny the love you lost *something something* And bring you home"

Without further ado, here it is

• Like 1

I don't normally listen to music that could be considered as pop, but this one by Jennie Abrahamson just struck a chord in me from the first listen. She and Linnea Olson was the supporting act for Peter Gabriel on the Back To Front Tour, and that's where I heard for the first time. Usually supporting acts are kind of boring but I was captivated through all of their songs.

I'm not that good at listening to lyrics as I often get them wrong, but I think some of the chorus goes like this:

"So let it burn, and start anew. It will rise, like phoenix from the ashes. Don't deny the love you lost *something something* And bring you home"

Without further ado, here it is

http://youtu.be/Hrpk0lJEevk

That's got some good atmosphere for a pop song.

Dreamy.

• Like 1

I've noticed that albums that are generally considered the best by critics or the public i generally disagree with/or feel are the weakest in the artists cannon

Examples

Rumours (Great album. A little too polished. Tusk was better. I even like Tango in the Night better.)

2112 Album that really just hinges on 1 song.....admittedly a great song though.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road- Elton's had Much better albums then this 1.

Stranger- Billy's turnstiles and Nylon Curtain smoke this album.

I have others but the point is I hardly ever agree with what's established as the "best" albums, lol

Mick

• Like 1

the other day I put on AC/DC and my 3 year old goes "mama....is that Angus? And Bon Scott?"

THAT'S MY GIRL!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I'm ripping my entire CD Catalogue back into iTunes and I own some weird music. AC/DC, Beastie Boys, Brad Paisley, Cannibal Corpse, Elton John, IWresteldABearOnce, Lady Gaga, Otis Redding, Toby Keith, Rush, No Doubt, Yes among others.

I LOVE NO DOUBT! WOOOOOOP!!!

• Like 1

If I had a band I think Dolly Boulder would be an awesome name! We would blend smooth jazz with djent, and have ABBA and Toto style choruses screamed by someone in the vein of Angela Gossow.

We would also base our image on whatever look Lady Gaga is rocking on the day, perhaps even making a go of covering her songs in the style of White Album era Beatles

My musical tastes are way to close to Segue Myles.

Not that that's a bad thing.

O my...I'm gonna cry...

Growing up I had this Black Sabbath album and this song had a skip ( turntables and LPs ). Now when I hear it on a CD, without the skip, there is something missing. :(

• Like 3